An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Benefits of Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Vinaya, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Many people are in favor of legalization of marijuana and supports medical marijuana. Can anyone list the benefits if marijuana? Some people say marijuana has sedative effects thus it can be used for cure against depression or anxiety, how true is this?
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Marijuana has recognized medical benefits as a sedative. It is administered to cancer patients in an effort to alleviate pain and as a psychological buffer. Some claim that it counteracts the pressures of daily life and elevates mood. This is where it gets slippery since one has to reckon with the cons.
  3. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

There's a fair amount of evidence that marijuana does no harm to the lungs, unless you also smoke tobacco, and one study found that marijuana not only doesn't impair lung function, it may even increase lung capacity.
  4. Makana

Makana Member

Medical marijuana is beneficial and safe as it is administered in prescriptions.
    Any other marijuana consumed for leisure may reduce depression but one runs the risk of addiction and dependency syndrome. Whereas I have not experienced lung problems with marijuana, I must admit that I have, more than once, made irrational( and more often wrong) decisions while under the influence of marijuana.
    From firsthand experience, I can say that the negative effects of marijuana outweigh the benefits by far.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

That's interesting because what I have read is that marijuana causes depression and anxiety. The complete opposite, in fact it seems that if there is a psychological disorder marijuana seems to accentuate it.
    I think it really comes down to the individual, it affects different people in different ways.
  6. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Some of the claims that are made against marijuana are not totally true, the problem is that if people are sufferers of certain psychological disorders, they should not be using this herb may exacerbate the condition. I observe that it may have varying effects on different persons, some may become very calm and relaxed while others may experience a spike in energy level. I have been around marijuana smokers for most of my lifetime and I have never seen whereby smoking it anyone had become disruptive.
    Marijuana based solution has been found to be probably the most effective treatment for the eye disease -cataract, ongoing research are proving marijuana to be very effective in treating other ailments too.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

There are VERY few good aspects to marijuana.
    It can help with epilepsy and it has pain-killing properties.
    It has lots of negative side effects, from anxiety to demotivational syndrome.
    BUT that's pretty typical of a lot of medications, jeeze look at Oxycontin for example.
    I still think that it should be legal, because it can be helpful when prescribed by a doctor.
    Also alcohol has ZERO good aspects, a million bad ones and we still make it legal because we found out that people will do it no matter its legal or not. The social effects of it being illegal are far worst then the health effects of it being legal.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Marijuana has been used for medicine since medieval times. Most ancient cultures have used this for medicine, before modern medicine. I don't support drug abuse but these are just facts. Check out this link--->
    ()
  9. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I think it would depend on the person whether it would cause them to have depression and anxiety. If they already suffer with these disorders, then it is probably not a good idea to use marijuana as it could make the conditions worse. Medical marijuana is used for pain relief in those with terminal illnesses such as cancer or other chronic pain conditions. I have heard that it works really well on controlling pain and people who use it are able to do more since they are in less pain.
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I believe that if you use marijuana for medical purpose, it has lots of benefits, and when you begin to use it as recreational drug or to have high, it is very harmful. If you are using marijuana for medicinal purpose, you should stick with the recommended quantity. Once your condition is cured, you will have to discontinue using it.
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is true but it was more often used as a tea and not smoked. There are only a handful of ailments that you need to smoke marijuana for it to have effect, the majority of the cases just a tea will be more then enough.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I don't think it's ok for us to list the ''benefits'' of marijuana in this forum ;) It could be seen as a pro-marijuana post, you know? But let me tell you that marijuana is not for everyone, those with mental issues should stay away from it... because depending on the kind of marijuana you are using... one it might help you calm down a little, but the other might make you feel even more anxious. I'd not recommend it to anyone with mental illnesses.
  13. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Marijuana has also fueled some of the best songs of the last fifty or so years ;)
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana can be used to treat some ailments. Researchers have proved that. But research also shows that marijuana use is harmful to the health of the person who is using it. So unless someone has no choice but to use marijuana to treat some ailment or for pain relief, then they shouldn't be using the drug.
  15. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It's been shown to have positive effects for those that have no appetite, like those that are going through chemotherapy. It's also a pain reliever. There is a reason many states have approved it for medical reasons.
  16. chantelwolff

chantelwolff Member

Marijuana has many different benefits. It can relieve pain better than pills, and I can personally say that pain killers do absolutely nothing for me and smoking marijuana does. When I get really bad cramps, I'll smoke before I go to bed because it helps relieve my pain and it also helps me sleep a lot better. That brings me to the next benefit. It helps people sleep. When I smoke I get really tired, which is why I'll only do it before I go to bed and only when I want to have a good night's sleep. Every time I have used marijuana as a sleeping aid, I have never once woken up during the night and always sleep very soundly. One minute I am lying in bed waiting to fall asleep, and the next my alarm clock is going off telling me to wake up and get ready for the day. Studies have also proved that marijuana slows and stops cancer cells.
    You are also correct that marijuana has sedative effects. That's why it makes me really tired and if I smoke it, it is solely for pain relief or for a sleep aid. Studies have shown that it has sedative effects, and that it can help reduce anxiety. However, I tend to get more anxious if I smoke, which is why I don't usually do it. To me it almost seems as if I have more anxiety after smoking, but this is only how it affects me. I know some people who smoke because it makes them feel more calm and less anxious.
    There are many medical professionals in support of medical marijuana because they have done the research and experiments and have found that it does a lot of good. I would honestly prefer to smoke a plant that came from this earth and was unaltered by man, than to take a pill consisting of chemicals we know nothing about, that was created by humans. Why can people take medications and poison their bodies with all sorts of different chemicals that they buy in a drug store, but they can't consume nature? Alcohol is a drug and causes thousands of deaths and health problems every year, and it is sold in stores for people to consume. So why is marijuana such a big issue? I completely support medical marijuana and legalization of marijuana.
  17. monty

monty Active Contributor

Marijuana use can be used to treat and prevent the eye disease glaucoma, which increases pressure in the eyeball, damaging the optic nerve and causing loss of vision, not only that marijuana does no harm to the lungs unless you also smoke tobacco.
  18. Mara

Mara Community Champion

19. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Great article, @Mara! I was thinking as I read all the replies before yours how medical marijuana and hemp oil are not usually the same as the pot we get on the street. I think that makes a big difference in the side effects and benefits - the lower THC and higher CBD.

Another thing that I noticed in the article is this:

Preliminary research shows that early onset marijuana smokers are slower at tasks, have lower IQs later in life, have a higher risk of stroke and increased incidence of psychotic disorders, leaving some scientists concerned.

I have found this to be true in those I know who started smoking pot in childhood or early teens. But again, this is smoking regular street pot, not using CBD oil or medicinal marajuana.
  20. monty

monty Active Contributor

While the benefits of smoking pot may be overstated by advocates of marijuana legalization, the new legalization will help researchers study the drugs' medicinal uses, and better understand how it impacts the body.
    There are at least two active chemicals in Marijuana that researchers think have medicinal application. Those are cannabidiol (CBD) - which seems to impact the brain without a high- and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - which has pain relieving properties.Try it today and see the benefits.