New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

best experience / lesson learned

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by doatk22, Sep 26, 2015.

1. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

What was your best experience from a sober living home? What did you learn there?
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have never been to a sober living good but my uncle had been their sometime back. He managed to quit drinking and now he is living a better life. He always talks about living positively and never giving up. He admits to have shared stories about their lives when they were addicts. I also have neighbours who have managed to change their lifestyle after going to sober living homes.
    doatk22 likes this.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

A friend of mine just came back after spending Holidays season at a sober living home.

He says to have recovered something that he lost; the sense of having a warm home with a lovely family, as opposed to days suffering the cold weather down the streets in company of pseudo-friends inviting him to drink as the sole way to get warm.

He is now seeing life from a different approach, or better said, from a former approach he had before start drinking when being at his own family home.
  4. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

The situational microcosm of a sober living home can vary from one place to another. The best run ones are great for fostering camaraderie and support, but some can become rather oppressive depending on the personalities present. Overall, they're good if you find a good one. But isn't that true of everything in life....?
  5. remnant

remnant Community Champion

There arose an opportunity to take my brother to a sober living home sometime last year. It was to be in a church environment and was supposed to last for one week and was supposedly free though for one reason or another, we never took him there since we could not verify the information. From the little I know, I think they are a bit expensive. They should have a list of alumni that have passed through the place so that they can spread their influence through them.