An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Best Method for Getting Rid of an Addiction, According to Research

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Aescopri, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

There's lots of ways and ideas out there to get rid of an alcohol addiction, and here is one example of a way, back by research. If you're struggling with an addiction, you need to see this:
    In 2014, An organisation named "Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)" helped more than 10 million individuals achieve sobriety by breaking down a bad habit into three parts. The first is the cue—what triggers the action? Passing by a liquor store? Partying with friends? The second is the action itself—drinking the liquor. The third is the reward for doing that action.
    Here's where it becomes interesting: AA asked one question to all addicts—"Why do you drink?" The response was overwhelmingly because of relaxation purposes and comfort. Then, they helped come up with different ways to achieve the relaxation and comfort. They were restraining themselves from the reward, just redirecting the action!
    I got this from Charles Duhigg's book, The Power of Habit. You should read it too—it breaks down bad habits. Guys—for those who have achieved sobriety or are trying to, what are your opinions?
    henry likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Since most people drink alcohol for a reason, identifying and fixing the underlying issues or replacing alcohol with something which will provide the relaxation someone seeks is a sure-fire way to beat alcoholism. It could take some effort though to believe that anything other than alcohol can get you the relaxation you seek. It's all in the mind. Change your attitude and it will be easier to fight the addiction.
  3. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Definitely! This is what psychologists/psychiatrists are working towards—changing the person's mindset and properly motivate them. The technique that you mentioned is actually used for students studying for the SAT worldwide, to motivate students and have them want to get good marks really helped their studying.
    Rainman likes this.
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

I totally agree. First you have to heal the mind in order to fix the body, because it is the mind that's causing it. When you "think" about drinking, you're using your mind, not your body. So, in my opinion, the healing of the mind should come first.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It’s an excellent point - one can abstain from drinking, but one may still have reasons to want to drink. Unless those are addressed, relapse is likely. Healing the mind is a process, it’s not always easy, but tackling it makes success far more likely to stick.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

These are just surface reasons, in my opinion. Deep inside us addicts, there are more and better hidden reasons for our actions. "Comfort and relaxation" is just a blatant lie we tell ourselves. I don't often see people drinking alcohol having a wonderful life, to be honest. Of course, there are exceptions everywhere, but we take in account only the majority here...
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

You are set to quit then you should focus on that. Many quit for months and later get back to drinking again. You need somebody to motivate you and give you company so that you may not get back to drinking again. It seems to be difficult, but it is sometimes easy to quit.
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

The trick is removing the factors from your life that make you want to drink. If it's because you're anxious, work on controlling your anxiety, etc.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah interesting, but that sounds like an excuse to say relaxing and comfort. Especially if you say it in AA. I think it is more that they like how they feel when they drink. The numbness or buzz that comes.
    The habit thing is kind of true. 30 days to make a habit. Mine I think is more like 45 days. The thing is that majority of people walk around dehydrated. If you drank a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day. Plus some other kind of healthy liquid. You would not even think about alcohol. A gallon of water makes you feel super happy. If you feel thirsty or your mouth is dry at any point in a day. The rest of your body is actually dehydrated.
    If you are a drinker, alcohol dehydrates you anyway. Is this starting to make any sense why you just keep going day after day. It's just like food if you don't eat enough of the right things you will binge and eat junk. Same thing with alcohol. Your body wants water and instead you intoxicate yourself.