An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Best Part of being sober?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Cametobelieve0202, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Hello my fellow addicts :)
    Today I was wondering for those of you who have 24 hours sober all the way to 24 years of sobriety. What is the best part of being sober?
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I now only get pulled over in my car and not the one i "Borrowed" from what's his name lol.Now but seriously the clarity of thought and daily it still gets clearer.By this Fri.I will be calling it 6 month's sober
  3. Cametobelieve0202

I love that the fear is gone. I lived in a constant state of fear. I also love waking up and knowing exactly what happened the night before. I blacked out almost every time I drank so waking up everyday was dreaded. It feels good not having to try to piece together what reminants of the night before I could gather. I also rarely have to apologize for my actions today because I’m present for them. Every decision is a choice, I don’t have my addiction to a substance dictating how I live my life. My worst day sober is still better than my best day drunk.
    Dominica, lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  4. True concern

Just a joke here but you probably wouldn't remember your best day drunk anyways because they usually ended in a blackout lol,sorry no offense meant and i totally agree with everything you have said so after i left Wisconsin i went to live with a different ex girlfriend in Moline Illinois and at that time i didn't just drink i DRANK so every morning i would wake up to a house full of people saying "Do you know what you did last night"and the answer was always no until on day apparently i attacked someone while drunk and they literally kicked me out with 2ft of snow on the ground and I knew no other people in that state and im a California man all my life so shorts in the snow sucked.I did get back to California but i had to borrow 14 different cars from people i didn't know and damn i feel bad i left all those people without cars
    Dominica likes this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I like the clear-headedness. Knowing that I don't have to worry about whether or not I can drive is nice, too. And setting an example for my two sons.
    Dominica, lonewolves and True concern like this.
  6. True concern

All excellent thing's and ya i like driving with both eye's open now as well before i had to close one because that double vision flu was always affecting me.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

Life is impossible to control, even when sober, but at least now my head is clear enough to try and handle life’s curve balls. I’m also a huge fan of not vomiting haha. Even when I would have around 3 drinks I would still end up vomiting the next day for many hours. Once I woke up at 8am and puked until TWO IN THE MORNING. I just sat by the toilet with my laptop and a glass of water for 18 hours. August 18th will be my 4 year soberversary from alcohol, and I couldn’t be happier for that!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  8. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

I like the fact that I can be counted on to actually show up and help when I'm needed. And that my family trusts me to watch all the children now. Not a task that I would love to do on a daily basis other than my own son. But its a good feeling that they don't make me look into a light or blow into a tube before they leave me with the kids. I like being trusted.
  9. Cametobelieve0202

Great post! I really like that too, my first sponsor was big on making “your word mean something again”. I really liked that. When I was drinking I was so irresponsible and unreliable. Today if I say I’m going to do something or going to be somewhere I make sure I am. It feels good :)
  10. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

6 months! wooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :)
  11. Dominica

18 hours! holy moly! wow! glad you are enjoying sobriety now!
    True concern likes this.
  12. Dominica

@Cametobelieve0202 ah yes, doing what you say you will do... i learned that via a friend who was in recovery... i used to say all sorts of things...but didn't follow through. but then i learned how to wait before responding to people...thinking about something before i offered help... and thinking things over before i agreed to something...

i also am big on following through now...and try to model that to my children.

i love being sober b/c i like to feel in my right mind.... now i can social drink and i do maybe 4-6 times a year...but in the past, i sure have had that one too many and felt sick.... i do not like that feeling at all... ;)

great post!
  13. Cametobelieve0202

Happy early 6 month anniversary! Very proud and happy for you!! Well done my friend!
    True concern likes this.
  14. Cametobelieve0202

That’s one of my favorite parts of sobriety but they’re are so many!
    Your post has me thinking and I have a few questions. If you drink 6 times a year you don’t consider yourself in recovery or sober right? Also if your an alcoholic who quit drinking for a while and life was good why did you go back to drinking? That would seem unwise? Addicts/Alcoholics can’t use in moderation that’s why we’re addicts/alcoholics. Do you consider yourself an addict/alcoholic? If not what drew you to this forum. I’m just curious because our ideas on addiction while both valid don’t always seem to line up. I like learning about what other people think. I am always ever evolving and want to expand my knowledge.
  15. Cametobelieve0202

Also, if you only drink a handful of times a year alcohol must not be that important to you. Why not give it up entirely? That way you can practice what you preach. 5 times a year isn’t much, is it important to you to drink each of those times?For most addicts, myself included it’s far easier to give up the substance and get sober than it would be to attempt to do some “controlled drinking” a few times a year.
  16. Dominica

hey there! i am not in recovery for alcohol. i drank in college for a year pretty hard, then gave it up completely... was busy raising my children... my husband and i had decided not to be drinkers...and we were heavily involved in the church... i didn't drink a lick for 20 years. then, divorce..toxic relationship with a recovering addict...for 5.5 years. i chose not to drink still ... but i didn't really want to anyway...

then, break up.. see, my drug of choice was people.. codepedency... so i am in recovery for that actually.

i don't desire to drink... that's not a big urge for me... if i had to classify me, i'd say the occasional social drinker.. why do i drink every now and then? well, there are just a handful of events i go to each year and i attend with a group of friends... and i enjoy a couple of beers and that buzz and we celebrate life. we don't need to drink... i hang with a pretty evolved group so it's not crazy at all. just social...

however, after that break up in toxic relationship, there were some times that i over-drank... ugh. used it to cope... but you know what kept me from doing that more? i knew that if i were to feel joy (the real deal joy), i could not cope with alcohol or drugs or food or (you name it). i had to face it head on...and heal.

hope this answers your question. now, many people cannot social drink... and some are bingers... i say people need to be honest with themselves...

my main passion is helping those who struggle with codependency. :)
    lonewolves likes this.
  17. deanokat

@lonewolves... Wow. 4 years is FABULOUS! Keep taking things a day at a time and you'll be there before you know it! So glad you're here with us!
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  18. True concern

I can't be 100% sure if the date is acurate as i don't track my day's but I believe friday is a safe 6 month's,im probably already there but i will start keeping track as of Fri and indeed wooooooooooooooohooooooooooooo
  19. deanokat