An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Best thing about quitting

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I made a post in the past about the worst thing about smoking, now I am going to make a post about the best thing about being tobacco free!
    For me my favorite part about being a non smoker is not having to leave whatever I am doing to smoke. I used to hate leaving places to stand out in the cold to smoke.
    My other favorite thing about being smoke free is not having all my clothes and my hair stink of tobacco.

What are your favorite things about being a non smoker?
  2. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Haha so you smell clean and fresh now then. Well it's good you can see the upsides to quitting. And I always thought it weird that people rather to go in the freezing snow to have a smoke.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am glad you're enjoying being a nonsmoker now, @Carnold23! Good for you. :) I have never tried smoking tobacco before. I just really hate its smell, and it adds up to the air pollution, not so environmental-friendly.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a smoker but living with a smoker before, I could say that I could relate. :)
    When grandmother quit smoking, she smelled better as well as the house which was definitely great changes.
  5. Ally

Ally Member

Thanks for posting this one! It's nice to talk positively about quitting tobacco. How did you do it? Things I dislike about being a smoker are the smell and how my throat always feels icky. And I can't sing or run as well, two activities I love to do. So I imagine in the future my favorite thing about non-smoking will be being able to sing and run and smell lovely!
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I love the fact that my senses have heightened. I love being able to smell a nice perfume or feel the taste of food again. When I was smoking, I was feeling nothing but tobacco. I was like a walking dead, ha ha.
  7. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Great job, kicking the habit! My brother smokes, and constantly has to leave our family get togethers to go outside to smoke a cigarette. It is a little bit annoying, because we will all be having a conversation with him, or in the middle of playing a game together, and he will get up and leave to go smoke. I hope one day he can quit the habit!
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I still haven't managed to quit fully myself, I have cut down a lot and I have to agree with you and day that I don't miss going standing outside either!

A lot of places here in the UK don't have designated smoking shelters so your just usually stood out in the wind and rain, and that's definitely something I don't miss.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Being able to smell things properly again was one of the best for me - I didn't realize just how much my sense of smell had been impacted until I quit!

Also, just that feeling of being clean and not having lingering "cigarette stench" all over me! My hands, my hair, my clothes...they would all reek of smoke. So nice not having to deal with that anymore!
  10. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

I think the best thing about quitting smoking for me has been that now I have money for one more date every month with my lovely girlfriend. So instead of smoking and smelling bad I stay minty fresh all the time and my girl is happy too. Win win.
  11. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

When I used to smoke, I was always worried about my health, believe it or not. Every puff I took from the cigarette I wondered what would happen to my body, and how much I'd further affect it if I continued. Now, the best thing that I feel now that I quit is that I don't have to worry about that feeling anymore. I'm free!
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

I agree. One of the things I hate the most about smoking, is craving a cigarette in a place where I can't smoke. Those places usually have air conditioners. So, when you go out and have a smoke, when you go back in. even YOU can smell the smoke on yourself. And, if YOU can smell it on you, imagine how strong and disgusting the smell must be for a non smoker.
  13. jazzyjazz

jazzyjazz Member

For me the best thing about quitting has been the money I save now that I am not buying cigarettes. I used to spend a lot on smoking and to be honest this was the only thing that I permanently bought for myself. So now that I don't have to buy cigarettes, I can take my wife and kids out for a nice dinner once a month with the money I save.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, for once I don't have to worry about being out of breath after going to the gym. My health in general has increased after I quit smoking. I also have a lot more money available to me that I'm using to place a down payment for a mortgage.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I smoked for a while when I was younger, but I never became addicted. I was so fortunate :) I guess what I enjoyed the most about being smoke free was having a fresher breath. That and not smelling like an ashtray! I still find that smell so annoying to be honest, my fiance smells like that all the time... his hair, his clothes, everything.
  16. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I'm actually trying to quit but have not been totally successful yet. I've been able to reduce my cigarette consumption significantly though. What I like about not smoking is not having to stink and actually being to smell like myself. You know, being able to smell like my God given signature scent. I like not having to smell like hand sanitizers, Victoria Secret creams and 20 packs of gum with a faint cigarette smell underneath LOL. I'm really proud and happy for those who have been able to quit, because quitting is not easy.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Of course the best part of not smoking is that you can save money, because cigarettes can be expensive. Being spared of the smell is also a bonus when you have quit already.