An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Best Way To Battle It

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Charity, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Charity

Charity Member

I know that everyone copes with a relapse or a battle in a different way, but I am trying to figure out what is the best way that people have found to battle the addiction they are facing at any given point in time?
  2. jmiranda38

jmiranda38 Member

I think one of the best things someone can do is to ask for help. Find a sponsor than you can be accountable to. Or find a trusted friend or family member. Being able to come to someone to talk to is the best feeling ever. A lot of times I feel alone in my struggles. But then I go to my friend and we talk and relate and afterwards I feel great. I feel like I can do it. I try my hardest to get through it and I do it. Good luck!
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  3. Linno

Linno Member

For me the first step came when I hit a crisis point and was able to finally acknowledge I had a problem. Telling close friends and family was hard but it was surprisingly rewarding when I realized that most were on my side and I now had allies in my battle against addiction. Then I saw a professional and armed myself with knowledge and tried to be as honest with myself as I could. It wasn't always easy, far from it, but those were the biggest things that helped in my battle.
    - Acknowledging that I had a problem.
    - Telling close friends/family.
    - Letting go of my ego and seeking help
    - Getting informed about addiction and what the road to recovery would involve.
    pandabear1991 and RingoBerry like this.
  4. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I agree with jmiranda38, asking for help is imperative when it comes to coping with addiction!
    One thing I always believe works is being honest with myself... I need to be completely open about where I am and how far I am in my battle so that even when I do enlist for people's help I can be transparent with them! I find that this way you get the best help and you chances of winning the battle are higher.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I found that the best thing to do was to tell someone if I thought I was about to relapse. Then, at least I was giving myself the chance to be talked out of it.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think having someone to talk to is essential. I don't know if it's the most important part of keeping sober but I think it is a very useful tool. Having someone to talk to not only relieves you of loneliness, but also boredom, and at the same time you get to stimulate your mind and also it affords you a better and more objective perspective on your own psyche as well as others.
  7. jmiranda38

jmiranda38 Member

Definitely! If the person who is trying to help you doesn't even know the extent of your problem, they wont be able to fully help you. While being in honest with yourself is very important, it's also important to stay positive. Naturally, we tend to be negative with ourselves. So while it may seem that we are being honest with ourselves, we are actually just being negative. It's important that we find the balance between being truthful and positive.
  8. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

The most important thing is to find help in another person.
    Without any support you won't achieve anything trying to cope with your addiction.
    It's a long way and different people find different ways. It depends on the individual.
  9. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Most addicts live in denial and and are always on the defensive when queried about their addiction. To them, it's as if everyone is on their back constantly and they are the ones always on the right. For them to battle addiction,they have to accept they have a problem and come of of denial. That's the most important thing any addict can do in order to begin the journey to recovery.
  10. jmiranda38

jmiranda38 Member

I agree! Acceptance is key. If you can accept the fact that you are an addict, you can begin to change that fact. You can make it something of the past. You can move forward. Being in denial is the worst thing because then you believe that there is nothing to fix when in fact there IS something to fix. Good luck on your journey to recovery!
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A relapse happens when you lose will to keep fighting. When someone gives up an addiction they have this firm resolve that they won't touch drugs because of A, B, C . . .

Now when you forget why you are quitting the likelihood of slipping back is pretty high. Best way to avoid a relapse apart from avoiding triggers is by writing down the reasons why you stopped using a drug. Each time the cravings assail you, whip out your list of reasons why the substance is bad for you and theywill give you the strength to fight harder.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Finding an accountability partner is very lucrative for the recovery/rehabilitation process. If you find someone who can keep you strong, and if you find someone that you can absolutely trust, then that is the person you need to make your accountability partner.
  13. Kappys

Kappys Member

I don't think there is a best way. Just like everything else, it depends on preference. Remedies come in a wde variety of things, activities, even people. Consulting yourself on what is best will always help.
  14. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

All my addictions are behavioral, so I'm likely to assume that all addictions are behavioral & can be dealt-with in the same way---by replacing the bad with the good. Pixy Stix in place of cigarettes. Ice-water in place of beer. Etc.
  15. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

The best way is to find a hobby. Discover something you enjoy doing or something that would simply get you away from your problems for a while. Once you automatize the process you'll find out that this is becoming your new addiction and the old one will simply wither away. This is undoubtedly the best cure for addiction you could try.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think there's a magic recipe for battling addiction. It really depends on that person and what works best for him/her. Personally, I think the best thing for someone to cope up and overcome substance abuse is to be mentally prepared about it. Nothing can ever help someone if he/she is not willing and determined to help himself/herself. Of course, everybody's support should also be there.
  17. jon

jon Active Contributor

I made up a list of about 20 reasons I don't want to drink again. This is what helps me to choose the right thing, and stay strong.
  18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Yes, but I feel it depends on who those other people are in your life and how they are treating you too. There are people who may genuinely care about you and want to see you get better and turn things around for yourself, and there are others who are just jerks and will hold your addiction issues over your head like a dark cloud constantly and never let it go. There can be times when an addict is flat out honest about their addiction problems, but some others in their lives will still keep throwing it back in their faces and accusing them of being in denial, and criticizing them non-stop.
  19. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I have found that by simply telling my husband, really helps. I am afraid to tell professional therapists and such when the thoughts pop up, because of recent experience. However, I have found that by telling someone who genuinely cares and who isn't paid to help me through my problems really helps. Generally, he just listens and hears me out. He hugs me, tells me he loves me, and that he accept who I am and wishes that he could help. For some reason, the thoughts instantly disappear.

But for times when he is at work, and I can't talk to him right away--I try to replace my thoughts. I think about other things (even intimacy with my Husband) to help replace the negative thoughts. For some, it is easier said than done but for me it is working c:
  20. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

The best way to battle against problem such as addiction or relapse is only yourself. Try to meditate and figure out your situation now, are you happy with what you're doing now? Do you feel the concerned about your own family and friends? Did try to ask yourself What's the purpose that God made us?