An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Best Way To Battle It

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Charity, Feb 13, 2015.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Every time I felt a crisis of some sort coming on, I would take myself off to a quiet place and just spend some time in nature, breathing, meditating, letting things come and go. It took me a while to learn how not to panic, how not to react to my first instinct, which was to reach for some kind of tranquilizer... a drink, a cigarette.
    Over a period of time the desire to numb myself became weaker and weaker. But, I have to admit, that even these days, during a heavy crisis, I think about a glass of whiskey and a cigar to relax. But instead I reach for chamomile tea and chocolate cookies.
  2. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

In my opinion, going cold turkey is the safest and cheapest method I know. Highly efficient but painful.
    You need a strong mind and will for that. A never die attitude.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think the first step is to acknowledge that you have a problem, and the next step is to do something about it by seeking professional help. Because if there is no acknowledgement that they are addicted to drugs and alcohol, then there will be no improvement and recovery.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. When you have someone to depend on and someone who depends on you, it gives you more reason and a sense of focus on the goal since you know you have someone and also at the same time you are doing it for someone other than yourself. Having goals bigger than your own well being often is a good way to give people perspective.