An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Best Ways To Deal With Anxiety and Depression In Sobriety?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The road to recovery has it's ups and downs and no matter how prepared someone was to deal with all that, they may find themselves overwhelmed. Should a recovering alcoholics find themselves battling depression or anxiety what are some ways they can deal with it? Should they avoid taking drugs used to treat depression since they can be addictive?
  2. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

It depends on the mental capacity of that person. Being that you are referring to a recovering addict they may still be vulnerable. They can take anti-depressants but I think they should be keenly monitored by a professional.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The best way to deal with depression and anxiety in sobriety is to look for a project or activity that gives your life a purpose. It could be an absorbing hobby, a new course or even joining a group with a positive cause like a nature club, volunteering or bible study. Loneliness, boredom and idleness are major hindrances to sobriety.
    Rainman likes this.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I do not think that people who are new to sobriety should be taking medications if they can help it because you would not want to replace one addiction with another. I agree about finding a hobby or something to do that gives your life some purpose. If you are particularly skilled at something and enjoy it, delve into it and maybe even make some money by creating that thing. You will keep your hands and mind busy and may even make a little extra cash at the same time.
  5. npatel2

npatel2 Member

In my opinion the best way to combat these things while in sobriety is to direct your attention off things that may lead you to start drinking again and try to pick up new hobbies and even try and meet new people who may be in the same situation as your self. The key to continuing to stay sober is to just put your self in the best position humanly possible to stay away from temptation.
  6. The important thing is to have people around who will keep a check on you and ensure that you do not fall into the drinking habits again. If you do not have friends and family around maybe you can get a pet; caring for the pet will keep your mind busy.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that better to avoid taking pills or medicines for depressions. There could be natural ways like involving yourself in activities such as sports or volunteering. It can be both fulfilling and fun to do those activities that could help someone feel better.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

I've said this many times on this forum, and I won't stop saying it because it has done wonders for me. The best way to deal with anxiety and depression is meditation. If you meditate every day, I can almost say with certainty that your depression and anxiety levels will drop like a fly.
  9. NeonSuitcase

NeonSuitcase Member

I will agree with Henry that meditation can do wonders for you. Another thing I've found that helped me immensely is exercise. When I was feeling anxious, I would slap on my headphones and go for a nice hour long walk outside. By the time I got home I usually felt much much better. This could be due to the body's positive reaction to physical activity, but also it gives you time to unwind and think, I think of exercise as a form of meditation for me. If you have been self-medicating due to an actual underlying anxiety or depression issue, you may want to speak with a counselor about your decision to quit drinking and the side effects you are having and they can help you decide if you want to see a psychiatrist and consider medication. I have been there myself and it is not easy.
  10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I find that the best ways to combat anxiety and depression, whether you are sober or not, is to do a couple of things. One would be to exercise a lot. It's been proving that exercising helps to lift your mood and it definitely helps with depression. In addition, I would suggest to eat healthy, so that you feel your best. Thirdly, I would suggest having a strong support system of family and friends that you can talk to and share your problems with. That will definitely help you feel better about your situation.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

For me staying busy works, specially going to the movies. Reading books and watching my favorite TV shows also helps. Lately I've been getting really into the coloring therapy, and let me tell you it does help to get your mind off things.
  12. rush

rush Member

I agree stay occupied, join activities meet new people. Change your surrounding's that's what worked out pretty good for me.