An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Better late than never

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Damien Lee, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

In life, we constantly have to make choices. Very often, we won't make the correct ones but that should not dishearten us. We're meant to make mistakes and eventually learn from them.

When we take a wrong path in life, it's often very difficult to get back on track. Sometimes, it may take years before we recover and live a life of sobriety. However, the length of time it takes should never make us lose hope. There is always light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how long that tunnel is.

Take your time to recover, the important thing is that you do recover.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Couldn't agree more. Nobody is beyond help and it doesn't matter how long you've been using for or how bad your addiction is, there is always hope.

Life does not come with an instruction manual. Instead, we're left to figure it all out for ourselves. Of course we won't always make the right choices but the important thing is that we are able to learn from the mistakes and use this knowledge to go forward.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also think that as long as a person gets the help they ask for, in the end it doesn't matter when that is.

Many people go through life not wanting to face up to things but in the end they have to, and it doesn't matter how long it takes, or at what stage in their life they are at, there's always hope.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with what you have said. It is truly inevitable for us to make mistakes along the way. It is part of life, and those bad choices/decisions can be turned into life lessons. And yes, it is never too late to change your ways for the better. There is no such thing as a hopeless case as long as you are really determined and patient.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

One thing that I always keep in mind is that St Jude is the patron saint of lost causes, so even if you think there's no hope for you, and even if you aren't religious at least you know that one person will always be by your side no matter how bad things get.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

It's never too late to start over.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Yes patience is a virtue and so important. Everyone has their own pace and there's no use worrying about anything. Just focus on taking it day by day.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  8. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I agree 100% we should punish ourselves for the mistakes we have made. Everyone makes mistakes.
    All we should do is focus on going forward, no matter how long it takes. Thank you so much for this!
    Damien Lee likes this.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Indeed. I always tried to remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day. It's not like I was going to go to sleep an addict, and wake up as a recovered, sober individual. It took more work than that! But like you said, it's completely okay to take your time with recovery. It's not a race - and treating it like a race would have probably caused me to slip up!
    Damien Lee likes this.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That is so true, when you try to straighten up your life, you should never focus on how much time will it take for you to recover because it can make you impatient, since you are so focused on the outcome that you will try to rush it, and if you relapse you get discouraged. Recovery should be done one day at a time, with no rush at all.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  11. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

It's never too late to get sober and stay sober! I know that it improves your health within just a day or two once you stop abusing your body! Give your body a chance and stay sober!
    Damien Lee likes this.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's true. Each one of us suits a particular pace as far as recovery is concerned. To truly recover, you shouldn't rush it. You should recover at a pace that you're comfortable with. Give your mind, body and heart enough time to heal.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Thank you for this beautiful piece of inspiration. It's hard to go day to day fighting to get sober, but the important thing is that you keep pushing to do it. Rushing into recovery is impossible because you only have so much time in a day. Taking everything one day at a time is the best way to reach your goals!
    Damien Lee likes this.
  14. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

One day at a time, looking at our goal, living our goal and before we realized it we have changed our life simple because we have changed our goals.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One reason many addicts never are willing to fight their addictions is because they believe they screwed up so badly that there's no way they can face the mistakes they made. Doing drugs helps them cope with that. But how can you know that you can't do something unless you try it?

Never too old, never too bad, never too late, never too sick to start from scratch once again.
    Bikram Choudhary

Try. That's all it takes to get anything in life.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I agree that it is never too late to change ones ways. Even if you quit using drugs an alcohol late in life, you can still change your lifestyle and prevent many unwanted health effects. Some people get to a certain age in life and decide that there is no point in quitting their addiction because they feel too much of their life has been wasted, but that is not the case. With the right help and treatment plan, you can go on to live a healthy and sober rest of your life.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I would also agree on that.:)
    It maybe a long travel and make sure to reach the desired right destination to make all the efforts worth it. It is never too late to start something good.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I'm happy to hear that you found my post inspiring. And you're quite correct in saying that there is only so much we can do in a day. It's best not to rush things and just try make an effort each day, no matter how big or small. Goals are achievable if we break everything up in manageable chunks.
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

With this I agree. It's never too late. This is indeed an inspiring post Damien Lee. People need to hear more of this kind of positive thinking and that's why I am thankful we have a forum such as this.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah some people take longer than others. It's too bad some people can't learn on their feet. You know during a time frame that it matters. Don't want to wait until it's too late. But, some people are just that way. They must learn the hard way.
    pwarbi likes this.