An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Biggest Bar Night

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by irishrose, Nov 12, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

The night before Thanksgiving always seems like the biggest bar night in town. Perhaps this is due to people coming home to celebrate Thanksgiving the next day, so they meet up with old friends the night before. I try to avoid going to the bar on this night, mostly because I am not interested in a mini high school reunion each year, but also because I am not that into drinking alcohol. Does this happen where you live? Do you usually go out to the bar the Wednesday before Thanksgiving?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Where I live we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but before holidays like Christmas or New Year's Eve everybody goes out and drinks. I don't know what's going on with this "fashion", because these are supposed to be spiritual holidays, which should make you be more clean, both physically and psychically, and not drink your brains out. People always seem to be in need of an excuse to go out and have a drink. But that's not the purpose of holidays.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

I think around here, most people are traveling and trying to get to their destination the night before Thanksgiving. I can imagine a lot of tourists who are coming into town for the holiday hitting the bars. However, I don't think that is a big bar weekend in general because it is family time. However, starting with Thanksgiving, the holidays are a big time for drinking and avoiding alcohol can become challenging.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's what happens in my country too. Christmas and New Years Eve are big drinking nights here in the UK. I'm not really a fan of going out on these nights any more. I used to when I was younger but these days, I'm quite happy to stay in and watch the Jools Holland show with a couple of cold ones.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm also from the UK and while we font celebrate thanksgiving, we tend to think that every other occasion I'd a reason to go out and get on the beer.

Christmas, New years eve, birthdays, public holidays and the bars are always full of people drinking and enjoying themselves, and while that's not a crime, drinking to excess is becoming more common and that is a worrying trait that's set in, especially over recent years.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

They call it Black Wednesday here. Too much drinking on Thanksgiving eve. It's more like a tradition. Every Thanksgiving eve the locals get together in the bars and "have fun together." They don't think it's all that bad because its "only once a year." But binge drinking can be dangerous . . .
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Not really I usually get ready for dinner. Most people are looking forward to the food, especially when you've smelled it cooking all day. I usually have seen people drinking at home on thanksgiving. Everyone celebrates the holidays differently tho. I never was into bars on the holidays.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

We do not have Thanksgiving celebration in here but drinking sessions are usual whenever there is an occasion. But not in our household since we avoid it to become a tradition or a habit.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I have never noticed a difference in the bar scene the night before Thanksgiving. I will keep my eye out and see if I notice a difference, but I really have never noticed any changes in the normal day to day festivities. We have a pretty big bar scene in my area, but nothing significantly changes.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Back when I drank, yes - any special occasion, any long weekend, any holiday, it was just another excuse to drink and I guess it was more accepted by society then because everyone else was drinking too. These days I don't go to bars anyway - I'll be at home relaxing with my family.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I am actually living here in the Philippines, and we don't have such a thing as Thanksgiving. However, there are always bar parties going around here. I rarely go to bars though. My friends and I are already fine with going to the mall, and watching a movie together. :) But yes, if you are recovering addict, you really should avoid going to places like that.
  12. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

No Thanksgiving or any sort of counterpart around here either, but I can say around here there's a positive culture that floats around alcoholism, believe it or not, so it's not very rare for me to see drunken people walking down the street obliviously. Too bad that these people have nothing else to achieve for in this life! :(
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I live in Mexico, so we don't really celebrate thanksgiving. But I've been in the United States a couple of times and around that time of the year things get wild, lol. But it's always better to stay safe, physically and mentally, especially if you're going through recovery.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I live in South Africa which is a drinking nation. Every night is bar night, I'm seriously not joking about this. We have high levels of alcoholism, therefore, it's not surprising that we also have one of the biggest and most successful brewery companies in the world. While we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, it doesn't matter either way - people here will be drinking the night away.