An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Binge drinking

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Faygo1224, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

It seems like alcohol abuse is at an all time high in my community especially binge drinking. I myself have been caught up in binge drinking when I was in the military and know that it can become very dangerous. I think the whole aspect of partying is the American way of life at this point which further delves people into binge drinking. My question to everyone is , does binge drinking eventually turn into alcoholism? Or do you believe otherwise. Coming from Wisconsin and having the most binge drinkers in the nation, I often wonder these things and would like your input.
  2. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think binge drinking already is alcoholism! If you are drinking every single day, AND you feel like you need to have it whether you realize it or not, you are an alcoholic. Our country is horrible with peer pressure because it's made out to be cool and the thing you have to do as a way of life. It's pushed on our media and tv shows, etc.
  3. Faygo1224

Binge drinking is not alcoholism as it is not done everyday. I think you may be confused of what binge drinking actually is. It does not occur everyday or even every week. It can happen once a month. The difference between alcoholism and binge drinking is that alcoholism is continuous and daily, whereas binge drinking can occur sporadically. Remember, binge drinking means to consume a heavy amount of alcohol in a short span. Has nothing to do with alcoholism....I'd say it has more to do with self control.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

I think binge drinking and alcoholism can be related depending on how often you do it and what the factors are in your personal life. Most binge drinkers are not alcoholics and are just simply partying.
  5. rollybooz

rollybooz Member

Hey Faygo1224, yes, you are right to point out that binge drinking and alcoholism are two very different concepts. Alcoholism or alcohol dependency occurs when a person has to rely on regular drinking to 'get through the day'. Basically, they experience really uncomfortable signs and symptoms e.g. poor concentration, irritability, chills, shaking, sweats, nausea etc. when they do not feed the body with the usual dose of alcohol. This occurs because the body has become used to the high levels of alcohol each day, and a new 'target' has been set (homeostatic set-point), such that if you do not meet this level of blood alcohol level, your body reacts to it. This does not develop overnight, and only happens when one excessively consumes alcohol in the long run regularly. Hence, with this said, binge drinking may not necessarily lead to alcoholism since it may be a once off event.

However, if you binge on a daily basis, there is no reason why you may not end up becoming alcohol dependent. While it is common for party-goers to binge on a 'big night', it is also common for some to binge on a nightly basis, and these are commonly already alcoholics! The safest bet, is to stick to a maximum of 2 standard drinks a night and 2 alcohol free days a week. I hope this helps =)
    dechantajones and JossZen like this.
  6. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I used to binge drink and I am from Los Angeles. For me, it was always about proving that I can out drink my male friends and show that I was a "bad ass bitch." Excuse my language, but you guys have probably experienced the same. It was to prove a point to my peers, but my body was the one that ended up suffering and not my image.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that it could lead to alcoholism. The body might get used to a lot of alcohol intake and will later become a habit. One should really have a self control in order to avoid being addicted.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Binge-drinking can lead to addiction but the outcome hinges entirely on the frequency. Dangerous yes it is, but if the person consumes a lot of alcohol only occasionally say on weekends only then it's not likely that this person will end up being alcoholic but that doesn't mean that the alcohol won't have any negative effects on their bodies.

IMHO someone who drinks regularly is more likely to be addicted than a binge-drinker who drinks once in a while.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Binge drinking could possibly lead to alcoholism. Since you often drink huge quantities of alcohol, eventually, you would form a craving to it, and this habit could turn into an addiction. Once you notice that you are becoming more of a binge drinker, try to stop it as soon as possible and before it's too late.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Binge drinking can lead to alcoholism, although I know a lot of people which aren't addicted to alcohol but every once in a while they like to drink (at birthdays, parties etc.). Someone who drinks regularly is already addicted to alcohol, that's the worst thing.
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I think there's a fine line between alcoholism and binge drinking. While binge drinking may not fit the classic definition of alcoholism, someone who binges on a regular basis absolutely has a drinking problem. There's no two ways about that. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that "binge drinking is the most common pattern of excessive alcohol use in the United States." They have some interesting statistics on binge drinking in their Binge Drinking Fact Sheet.
    dechantajones, JossZen and L_B like this.
  12. Faygo1224

I understand completely where you're coming from. Being in the military sound a bunch of males, I always tried to outdo them when it came to alcohol. I too found myself binging abd not even realizing it until it was too late just to fit in. It's quite sad I binged for that reason but hey we live and we learn right?
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I think binge drinking can be a precursor to alcoholism, but it doesn't nessisary mean someone will become an alchoholic. Some people are genetically able to get addicted to alchohol more than others. If someone in your family has ever been an alcoholic, it means it's way more likely binge drinking will lead to alcoholism. Society's acceptance to binge drinking is worsening the environmental factors that can cause alcoholism. This makes it even harder for recovering addict because society is always depicting it in a positive way.
  14. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Binge drinking is a tricky beast indeed. It’s quite prevalent in my area as well; I did it myself during my party-girl phase. And I would also put it down to being surrounded mostly by males at the time. I was one of those who never developed a dependency on alcohol, but certain of my friends did get dangerously close to that point. So it’s not a given that binge drinking will develop into alcoholism, but it is a possibility. I do know scary things started happening when some of my friends were on the verge of developing a dependency, and that was when I knew I myself should probably try to nip my drinking in the bud.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  15. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that binge drinking is something that is dangerous and also can be fatal as well since the person get's addicted to drinking and also, does not try to come away from this addiction. It is interesting to see what happens when a person takes to drinking and when they over drink they have no awareness of their surroundings, and think that drinking is a good way to solve their problems. I have seen some people get addicted to drinking and also think it is normal and doesn't think of the consequences and lose a lot, which is hard to recover like family and friends and also trust.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Binge drinking as hit the headlines a lot in the last couple of years, with more and more people saying they do it, but don't see it as a problem.

I also don't think that binge drinking is a form of alcoholism, so I agree with the OP, but I do think it can turn into a problem.

A lot of people might not touch a drink from Monday to Friday, then spend all weekend in a bar, then stop again the following Monday. That's a definition of binge drinking, but what if you think well I'll drink the same amount as I do at the weekend, but spread it over the seven nights of the week? Would you then all of a sudden be an alcoholic because you drink everyday?
  17. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have to agree that there is a very fine line between the two. Some definitions that I looked up do list binge drinking as alcoholism. I guess it depends who you ask. It is definitely a sign of alcohol abuse because the person can't have a drink to be social, they drink to get drunk.
  18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

What would be considered "binge" drinking though really? I could drink like 8 cans of some "ice" beer which is only like 3.5% alcohol, and barely feel a thing and hardly be drunk at all. But to someone who doesn't drink much at all, they might get hammered after 5 of them, and be labeled as "binge drinking". Similarly, someone can have like 5 or 6 incredibly weak cocktails that only have about an ounce of liquor in them, and barely goes through a 1/4th of the bottle - I wouldn't really consider that "binging", they only had a relatively small amount of booze diluted in a bunch of soda.

I agree, if they are only doing it once in a blue moon such as on the weekends or a birthday party or whatever, I wouldn't consider them having a problem. They may just enjoy really letting loose once in a blue moon. For example, when I was dieting years ago, I was very disciplined with eating healthy throughout the week and exercising, but every weekend my friends and I would go to a local wing joint and each order a bucket of wings for ourselves and gorge on them. I wasn't addicted to food because I binged on wings once a week.
  19. L_B

L_B Community Champion

You make a valid point OhioTom. To me binge drinking is when you drink large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time for the sole purpose of getting wasted. You may have 8 beer over the course of an evening but I have seen people drink that within two hours or less.
  20. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Not only this, but when you binge you make terrible choices.
    First time I tried cocaine I must have had 12 beers before hand.