An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Body Packer Syndrome...

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Elendil, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

In this case, the smuggler ingests a sterlised packet of cocaine and 'stores' it in his/her intestines. After passing through the security checkpoints, he/she then expels the packet out with their faeces and proceeds to sell it. And sometimes, unfortunately, these packets burst in their intestine, killing the smuggler almost instantly.

What are your thoughts on this particularly unique (and dangerous) method of smuggling the drug?
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It is scary what people put themselves though. Is death really worth it? I guess to some it is. To me it sounds extreme but I guess you would have to be a part of it to understand what they are thinking. It is a terrible thing.
  3. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

There is often highly coordinated psychological manipulation of the smuggler by ruthless and determined drug pushers prior to someone deciding to embark on such risky behavior. Drug dealers are utterly immoral agents, and what we would see as being unthinkably evil, they see as routine and normal. It's such a sorry state of affairs.
  4. melody

melody Active Contributor

I think that is where the term drug mule comes in. I think it is a very dangerous and terrible way to transport anything. The fact that the person could die, is pretty bad. Then, I mean who wants to ingest anything that has been in another persons intestines and expelled with poop? I know that is not something you think about when getting high. Maybe you should though. I may have had my run in with some substances I never should of touched, but I hope I never put anything in my body that was in another persons butt.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I guess my question would be how desparate does a person have to be to do something like that? It sounds absolutely horrible. I would guess there are many easier ways to make money. I don't care if someone was paying me 100,000 dollars or more..that is not worth your life. Can you even imagine the anxiety?
    Elendil likes this.
  6. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I can not pass judgement because I have been in similar situations. It is degrading and unnecessary but to the user/seller it is life. Not the best life but nevertheless a life they are accustomed to living. This is done without even a bat of an eye. Desperate situations call for desperate measures, it never fails.
    Elendil likes this.
  7. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Unfortunately, for a drug addict, the drug is his/her life. The craving literally replaces all other (rational) judgement, and 'how to obtain more drug' becomes the ultimate life goal for the person. That's why most of these smugglers are addicts themselves.

The other group of people that perform this kind of smuggling are the truly desperate ones. For you and me, (i.e common people living a relatively comfortable life) it's unthinkable, true. But say a person is drowning in so much debt that he/she would do almost anything to get his/her life on the track. Or he/she might be a felon who has been let out of jail, but can't get any job due to his/her past. And he/she has a family to feed. Would they say no to apparently 'easy' money such as this? If their loved ones are involved, people can agree to do some really crazy things, that much is almost guaranteed.
  8. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

Some people so no other way, it's sad. The amount of money vs the risk is appealing to a desperate person. If the person already 'f up his life' and can't get a job and really nobody wants to be with him in the long term, then this might seem like the only way to make some cash fast. It's a really sad thing though.
  9. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've heard about this on the news. They call the people carrying the drugs, mules. They swallow not just one packet, but up to a dozen. Animals and even children are used as mules too. And that is really sad. Some people agree to become mules and swallow those dangerous substances because they need money or because they are coerced into it for fear of the safety of their loved ones.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I have heard that some people have done this with pills. This is very dangerous, and it is nasty too. Just the fact that your dope came out of someones ass is disturbing. Being this desperate to smuggle the stuff is just too much of a risk.
  11. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I've heard of this, and watched a bit about it on a documentary not long ago. Most of these drug mules are not drug users, but regular people living in poverty in a poor country with few opportunities. It's really sad how these people are used and the risks they face. Most of us that are able to type a message on a computer like this probably can't understand that level of poverty. It's truly tragic that people live in conditions that they would be willing to take such risks.
  12. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Money is the route of all evil so they say and for these people it is about money but they do not realise how many lives are lost for them to find their big dream. So I have no sympathy for those that try to sell and get caught because some of us have not made it out of recovery and have not been able to start a new life because they got too caught up into what those people are trying to sell. They get what they deserve.