An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Linno, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Linno

Linno Member

I think I'd like to start getting deeper into why some of us are more prone to addiction. Has anyone read any interesting books lately that they'd care to recommend? Other books about staying clean would be helpful too so feel free to recommend anything that has helped you understand your addiction better or that has helped your recovery. Thanks!
  2. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

I would recommend a book called '50 Things That Really Matter'.

It's a wonderful book that even young adults would enjoy. Basically it's one of those personal development books. One chapter is one thing that really matters. The author added in some personal experiences and realizations he's had in his own life.

It's a wonderful and very simple book that I think everyone should give it a try.
  3. Linno

Linno Member

Thanks so much angelicagapit, it sounds like an ideal book. Looks like a book that wouldn't be too much of a trigger, so thank you for the great recommendation. It'd be good to read about other people's personal experiences, especially their success stories!
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

A current best seller is Clean: Overcoming Addiction and Ending America’s Greatest Tragedy. It is by David Sheff, the author of Beautiful Boy. It is a moving account of the addiction and treatment of his son, Nic, and draws on research in psychology, neuroscience and medicine to present a new approach to dealing with what may well be our greatest social problem. Sheff insists that addiction is an incurable but treatable disease, not a moral failing. Since choice “has nothing to do with the disease,” he emphasizes, it is counter-productive to exhort young people to “Just say no” or dismiss addicts as dissolute or undisciplined. Treatment must be based on evidence, not urban legends, guilt or wishful thinking.
  5. Linno

Linno Member

Thanks Juno I hadn't heard of that one, it sounds interesting. I like that he makes the point that addiction isn't a moral failing. There is such a negative stigma with addiction, but really who would want to actively choose this kind of lifestyle? Clearly it's much more complex than that. I like that he has a straight forward point of view. Will definitely have to check that one out.