An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Books to help quit smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carmilla, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

Are there any books you recommend to help quit?
    I know when my mum was quitting smoking, Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" helped a ton. She's not had any in years now. Have any of you got experience with this book? How about any others?
  2. serpes

serpes Member

One book that helped me get rid of my smoking addiction was also Allen Carr's “Easy Way to Stop Smoking”. It had a great impact on me. It is the highest-selling book on quitting smoking worldwide. I do not know if any other books have similar impacts but for me it surely made the difference.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Gosh, thanks a lot @serpes, you are a life saver! I will get that book for my fiance soon! I know his mother has already got him a book like that, but is not this one! I will surely get it as soon as I can, we can hopefully read it together then. I hope it helps him, I am so desperate I am willing to try anything! He'd not like it if he knew I'm talking about his smoking with strangers on the internet, but I am that desperate, lol.
  4. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I would try doing a search on Amazon and checking out the reviews. People who have already read the books will let you know if they feel the books helped them or not. I am sure you could find a good book this way. You may even want to purchase a kindle and take a good look at the book as soon as you purchase the book. If you feel you will like the book and want a copy, you can cancel that order with Amazon pretty fast and order the print copy. Amazon gives buyers so much time to cancel an order.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

To be honest I've never really tried any of the books and other aids like that to help me quit anything. They do seem to sell quite well, so I guess that must mean that they can work for some people, but for me I'm not sure if I'd have much benefit from them.

I know the best ways to quit, what steps to take and how to avoid relapse, so I'm not sure I'd be learning anything new, for me it's just a case of getting my head down and actually doing it.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Books are motivational, sure, but are they really that worth it from a pragmatical point of view? Motivation is surely welcome, but from what I've seen they don't really offer worthwhile solutions to our smoking problems, they simply beat around the bush with sentences like "You can do it!". It doesn't work like that, unfortunately.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

Allen Carr's “Easy Way to Stop Smoking” is one of the best books and has been around for a while. You can also get relevant materials online by searching directly. There are thousands of materials online that can be helpful. You can print them and take to her to read or refer her to such online sites that can help.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the book anymore that helped me through that difficult stage in my life. All I remember is that it was written back in the 70's, and that it was very simple and methodical. In fact, I really took to it like fish to water, because it was such a logical, simple, non-emotional step-by-step guide to quit the smokes.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Hmm, I don't think any book will make you quit smoking. The only one who can do that is you. I haven't stopped smoking because deep down I don't really want to, because we all know what to do if we really had the solid conviction to do it. And, what do we need to do? JUST STOP. Take all your cigarettes and flush them down the toilet and tell yourself you're not smoking anymore. That's the only real way, in my opinion. No BS at all.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Looking back (trying to see if anyone would add another useful book) it seems this book is the best option for all those looking to quit smoking. Now I know what I will give my fiance for Christmas next year.
  11. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Books could definitely help someone who would like to quit smoking cigarettes, but I personally never used one. They basically tell you the same thing you hear all over the world: smoking is bad, smoking is the principal reason for lung cancer and other heart-related diseases etc. I don't want to buy such redundant thing.

I quit by going cold turkey and worked fairly well. A bit of struggle at the beginning, but hey, everywhere in life it's the exact same thing. :D
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" is the best book if you are serious about quitting smoking. I do remember you don't have to quit while you are reading it. The last time I stopped I used it and it really helped me. Unfortunately I was stupid and started again. I still have the book and I am going to read it again.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think motivational books can be of good use as well in general like how to motivate yourself in achieving a goal like quitting something. This book reading approach most probably works for those who love to read a book.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that books can help to a certain extent, but it depends overall on the mindset of the smoker, if he is determined to quit in the first place. Books are only complimentary help when quitting.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

My mother read Allen Carr's book and it was an eye-opener for her, but it didn't work for me. I quit because I wanted to and I realised I wasn't going anywhere by being addicted, so I guess it depends on the person. :p
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I didn't use books but a few friends that have been successful with quitting really did sing the praises of this book too. It seems pretty well known and regarded - so I think that's always a good sign!
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No motivational book will be of use if you do not have the power to keep determined and get your own inspiration. I have never believed in the "magic" of these books, instead, why don't you try to read regular ones? I guarantee you that there's nothing more pleasant and relaxing than laying in bed and reading a good novel after a long day.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There are numerous books I could mentioned which can change your life in a myriad of ways, although none of those books deal specifically with giving up smoking. What helped me reduce all the negative things in my life was reading books about (and thereby learning) NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming). It's basically a form of applied psychology and teaches you various tools and techniques which you can use for giving up smoking, overcoming phobias and developing personal and professional success. The one book I would recommend (again) is Teach Yourself NLP by Steve Bavister and Amanda Vickers.
  19. Sid Vaenar

Sid Vaenar Member

I have quit at least five times using this book since 2005. However one major drawback of his so called method is how easy it is to relapse at some point. This is since quitting becomes so easy after you realise brain patterns that draw you to smoking in the first place.

I consider a succesful quit when I didn't smoke completely for at least 6 months. Yes I'm a chronic quitter :)
  20. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I'm pretty sure that if you search the internet you will find a bunch of them. I think though that documentaries on tv about the effects smoking can have in our lives can help people to quit smoking fairly easier. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.