An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Books?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by jdroc, Nov 6, 2014.

1. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

I don't if books help people. However, certain books have made me better. The first book I would recommend for anyone to read is The Book of Secrets, by OSHO. All I can say is this. It's the most interesting and informative book I ever read in my life. It's a spiritual thing.

I bought a book about overcoming addiction awhile ago. It just occurred to me post this one about overcoming addiction. http://amzn.to/1zyG3Up. It's not for everyone. It blends spirituality with an approach to help in the addiction journey. You will not find a step by step approach. However, Deepak Chopra is a leading authority on spirituality and holistic healing in America. Just sharing. If you have a book that has helped you. Go ahead and share!
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Pfff, Deepak Chopra is merely a puppet repeating things others have already expressed long before he became world famous - as in thousands of years of people. OSHO, was an okay, but his followers were a bunch of wrong-doers and not filtering these type of people was OSHO's biggest mistake in life, which led to his downfall.

J. Khrishnamurti and Alan Watts, are my two guys to go for when it comes to 20th century philosophers and enlightenment. The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts, is one of the most eye-opening books I have ever read regarding self and so-called spiritualism. Also, the Dao De Ching by Lao Tzu, is possibly the most profound book still known that was written by humans, because in it contains so many answers to life but only if one will allow it.
  3. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Hmmm. Krishna has the approach of doing nothing to gain awareness. Which works well for somebody that has a still mind already, but how many of us do? Osho, let people live so how could that be his downfall? Do you think Osho would care about a downfall or anything anybody would say? He broke down Krishna and Tzu with profound respect and dignity in The Book of Secrets. You would know if you didn't read one negative thing and make your mind up. So-called spiritualism huh, cool. Well if it's so-called then why are you so interested in the subject?

Thanks for sharing though. It just seems like you're all over the place with two paragraphs. Extremely critical of others that you don't take well to-. On the fence about spirituality, but still wanting to learn about it through Krishna and Tzu. Krishna will always have a great following because of the do-nothing approach. However, if he follows the same general ancient wisdom of his people, he knows that him reaching enlightenment in that particular lifetime hand nothing to do with that lifetime. He would know that it was the work he had done in previous lifetimes that led up to it happening effortlessly while he was Krishna.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  4. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Just for kicks let's take a famous saying from Lao.

He who knows does not speak
    He who speak does not know

Osho breaks this down so many times in The Book of Secrets. Lol.

So yes Lao knew, Krishna knew, Osho knew. They all chose to speak, but it has to come out differently because they're not the same people. Life doesn't like duplication, so even though they reached, how could they be the same?

Logic and Truth are not the same thing. Jesus didn't know the world was round because of the teachings of his time, he still knew the ultimate truth, had nothing to do with logic. Everything to do with divine, spiritual truth.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think books are incredibly helpful in err covering from addiction. Not only do they keep the mind busy and focused on home thing productive and positive but also if the topic is related then the recovering addict can learn a lot from it. I find biographical books of recovering people to be the most helpful in these cases because it helps a lot to hear from someone you can relate to as someone who has already gone on the road that you are taking.
    jdroc likes this.
  6. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

So which biography would you recommend to the forum?
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Craig Ferguson's books are a good example of this. He nearly committed suicide and had almost no support to get well because he lived in a country with people raised in bitterness and pessimism which I think most countries outside US and a few choice European countries can relate with. He's also been through two divorces that drained him of his savings but he's now doing well and he looks genuinely content and happy. Also, I think he approached his recovery very pragmatically and rationally instead of the more common but false way of "giving yourself to a higher power" and on top of that he doesn't demonize the substances that got him addicted and instead he takes full responsibility for not being able to handle it, which is how it should be, in my opinion.
    jdroc likes this.
  8. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Yeah I like the way you put that. It's very hard to hold yourself accountable for your own life. That's what I'm doing now with every part of my life. No excuses, everything is my fault. The good, the bad, the ugly. It's all on me.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes books can be helpful. Engage the mind and is relaxing. Takes you someplace else. Books can actually help a great deal with whatever you need. A distraction, education, entertainment or whatever.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I recommend "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown. It's a self-help book that focuses on your worth, belief and courage as a person. It helped me to deal with self-esteem issues which I'm sure some addicts struggle with as well. It will help you realise that you're worthy of love and care. And it will help you realise as well why you need to change to become the better version of you.
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Any kind of healthy entretainment can be helpful and books are an amazing place to start. I haven't read an addicion book yet but I love philosophy and psychology books, they make me forget about everyting for a while and I think that's the amazing part about books =)
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have always considered reading books that keep me positive. I like reading novels that talk about temptations that we usually face. That gives me ideas on how to avoid living negatively. I also like reading magazines.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have read Osho, his books and discourses are very uplifting. However, I have never read anything from Deepak Chopra. Osho also has devised various meditation and relaxation techniques that can help addicted people or psycologically ill people.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Books are really helpful but only if the recovering individual is at a stage where he/she is able to exercise proper discernment again. Otherwise, no book will ever be good enough. Self-help books are kind of on-point when you're in the process of recovering. The Outliers, for me, is inspirational, particularly if you want to develop a skill you used to be so good at in the past.