An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Boredom and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JoshPosh, Nov 16, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I drink alcohol on and off. If there is something that needs my attention I usually have no desire to drink at all. But when boredom sets in, I feel the urge to drink an ice cold alcoholic beverage. I do have outlets and activities to keep me busy. But I'm wondering what triggers you to drink alcohol? Mine is boredom. What's your trigger?
  2. Glen

Glen Member

Alcohol isn't really my thing, but I do have it from time to time. Like you, one of my triggers is boredom. However, it's rare that I get bored anymore with the internet and everything. Nowadays, the only time I drink is with friends. I mean, it's time to kick back and relax while I'm with them, so why not share a round?
    It's not really something that I like to enjoy regularly, but I do have it time to time.
  3. jobenvy

jobenvy Member

My trigger is dance clubs ive found long as i stay away from certain venues i can control my urges. Not normally a stay at home drinker but i tend to indulge once im around my friends and in night clubs. I used to be able to moderate one-two times a week drinking, but it got so bad i was going out everyday sometimes for weeks on end.
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

My que call to drink ethanol drinks happens when I'm hanging out with siblings and friends, and to ease the time, I tend to drink with them. I don't drink alone, which is a good thing, but bad because I will drink with others. However, I have learned to moderate and manage this urge by being active, drinking more water, and eating food. If I'm bored, I usually attempt to distract my drinking urges by starting conversations about anything unrelated to ethanol drinking.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I can't talk about myself because save for tasting the stuff once or twice just a sip or two, I've been a non-drinker all my life. But I've lived with alcoholics and others who drank alcohol occasionally. Boredom certainly was what drove most of them to drink more than they planned or even when they didn't plan. They knew they'd find their friends in a bar so they'd head out to chat and well . . . drink.
  6. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

My trigger is spontaneity. For example if someone says, hey let's hang out, and when we get out he suddenly says let's go for a beer, I instantly have that desire to drink.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

My trigger is boredom as well but alcohol is not my substance of choice. I see this most in my smoking habit since if I'm left idle I usually feel the urge to smoke but as long as I keep conscious of myself enough to stop it then I'm okay. The only problem for me would be if I never cared and then I will just get blindsided when I suddenly get an illness one day.
  8. terrainna

terrainna Member

I don't drink anymore but I kind of miss it. My trigger is a very well cooked meal! Oh my, when I am served with a fabulous cut of steak or large Italian pasta meal, I immediately crave a red wine!! That would just bring home for me. Unfortunately, my husband is a minister and I honor his wishes for me not to drink. Well, for now I do.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Maybe the need to feel light-headed and nonchalant, situations which can be triggered involuntarily with the help of alcohol. Sometimes, I drink simply to appease friends who are in the habit of drinking themselves to oblivion. I do think my presence keeps them from going further than a bucket.
  10. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I used to drink but it was only when I was bar hopping with friends. So it was more of a fun time with friends that made me drink. I finished up my friends' drinks because they were all tipsy and drunk. So my friends and even I used to wonder why I was still sober. That was during my heydays though. Lol!

But now, I don't anymore. I think I'm going to get easily drunk even with just one shot. So I don't dare try now even when I go out with friends and family. I don't know. It must just have been a phase then.
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I usually find myself drinking over the weekend when in the company of my peers.This is the perfect time for me to unwind so i guess the need to socialize acts as a trigger for me.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

In the days when I still used to drink alcohol, I mainly drank to escape a reality that I didn't want to be part of. I drank because I wanted to forget and drift far away to a place where I felt numb and pain-free. I drank because I wanted to forget my past and present. Most of the time I got drunk, hoping that in the morning I wouldn't wake up anymore.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  13. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I would advise you to find something that occupies your free time. Find a hobby your interested in, and get involved in it. Don't let your boredom lead to something you'll eventually regret.
  14. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

I can't say that I felt the eager to drink because of boredom, but I have drank when I just wanted to unwind and relax or when I am at a party, which is rarely.
  15. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I do have the same issue boredom an d consoling myself, those two drive me to drink, when I am bores and when I feel the need to console myself, I tend to turn to alcohol, I feel like it actualy consoles me.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

People drink for different reasons, and yes being bored is one of them. I have heard people actual say " I'm bored to death I need a drink to get things going. So drinking is done by a lot of different people. For a lot of different reasons even boredom.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I'm over it as far as alcohol goes. Boredom makes you drink. I guess some people get bored. I don't think I've ever been bored in my life. There are so many things that you can do, so many hobbies. I kind of feel like boredom is over rated. It's like a mental contagion or something. Like a mindset that invites the unnecessary in.
    I think the only reason why I ever drank was because I saw my parents doing it. The next was peer pressure. Socializing and then there's the stress factor. Emotional drinking never helps. It always makes things worse. Alcohol is a depressant. You get several hours of an impaired altered state. It would be ok if it wasn't toxic.
  18. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, when I get bored, I want to drink, and also gasp! sometimes smoke. Usually though when I drink it is to alleviate some depression, and also to kind of enhance a good time. I like to drink and chat cuz I think it makes me funnier. It also helps me avoid unpleasant tasks so of course I do it...is better than cleaning or job hunting...immature but we seek pleasure and avoid pain, everyone does.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Back when I used to drink my main trigger was boredom and the fact I liked to feel drunk. I just liked how I felt when I was drunk, I liked I didn't have any kind of inhibitions. I liked the drunk talk that came after that, I talked with a lot people while being like that on the phone :p People I knew of course, it amazed me how our conversations flowed better... I liked that I didn't feel there was a limit for the things I could say... no shame, no anything.
  20. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Oh I know I'm the same, I always need something to do and keep my mind distracted. I'm really bad with needing something in my hands or using, it's probably why I am on the computer so much now as a substitute for the drugs and alcohol.