An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Boredom and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JoshPosh, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

My main trigger has always been other people. If I see other people drinking, I feel that peer pressure, even when it's not there. Like, I would fit in better if I were drinking like they are.
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon for me it can be watching a movie where a character may drink alcohol and it seems awesome to do and can drink a few glasses which can surprise me as, you only think you may have one or two only. I think it is easy to consume more alcohol when we don't have something to do and also it can make us thirsty, so we drink at times to pass the time and need to watch the amount otherwise it can be easy to consume more on a daily basis easily. Sometimes it can be to relax me at night so I sleep peacefully, and gives me a good night's rest and also can be good for the cold or flu due to a fever in the winter.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not drinking alcoholic drinks for years already. I have only tasted some back then just to know the taste and never got interested to get into drinking. Although some friends are drinking in some events, they cannot force me to drink and they already knew that so, they just do not force those in the group who does not drink.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I used to drink boredom was a trigger for me aswell and I often found myself having a drink even when I wasn't that bothered about having one.

I was living on my own at the time and so that didn't help either as once I'd finished work and done all the jobs I found myself with a lot of time on my hands.
  5. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I'm not really aware of anyone who drinks alcohol out of "boredom". I know of people who smoke cigarettes or marijuana out of it, but not alcohol. It's the first time I hear this. When it comes to alcohol, what triggers me to drink is my urge of trying new experiences... I plan on quitting that mindset, but seeing how things advance, I'm really inclined to say it's not going to happen very, very soon.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

Boredom has always been one of the main reasons I drink. After you've done the same thing for a week, all you want to do is escape it all that stuff and be worry free. I loved watching movies drunk and stoned. I felt like I could see some secret meaning that you could never get watching it the boring sober way.
  7. cjcasey83

cjcasey83 Member

I definitely used to drink because of boredom. Nothing to do? Get a 12 pack. The stuff that seems boring, seems so much better when you are drunk. It is really a self-perpetuating cycle because I drink becasue I am bored, which makes my life even more boring, which leads to more drinking. Nowadays, since I stopped drinking 3 years ago, I am NEVER bored. It is great. I love going hiking, surfing, working on the computer, reading, drawing, hanging out with my daughter, etc. Life is way better without alcohol
  8. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

It is not wise to drink alcohol because you are bored. This works the same way for people who eat when they are bored. You are willingly putting harmful chemicals into your body because you just feel like it. Alcohol is okay and can be enjoyed. However, it should only be done so in moderation. Eventually, drinking alcohol because you are bored will turn into an addiction and a habit. You do not want to be addicted to alcohol!
  9. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

There is a relation between boredom and drinking as I find myself reaching for a drink when I am idle. I would say I bored-drink quite a number of times.
  10. Andrew Neer

Andrew Neer Member

Alcohol has just never been my thing. I've been a non-drinker my whole life. I've attended parties where almost everyone took to the bottle but I just couldn't join in.

Most people do it to relieve stress but I've always had alternatives. When I'm stressed or bored, I just get my guitar and have fun.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Boredom is not my trigger. Whenever I am bored, I would just rather watch a movie or read a novel. I am actually more of a social drinker nowadays. Whenever I am out with my friends, I somehow feel the urge to have some fun with them and go drunk.