An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Both parents deceased from alcohol abuse

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Willowstar, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Willowstar

Willowstar Member

Hello and thank you for reading. I am a 28 year old woman who lost both my parents early on from alcoholism. It was a very rough road watching the people you love walk down the dark path of alcoholism and watch their lives spiral downwards out of control. My mom passed away in 2009 at the age of 43 and my dad in 2013 at 52 years of age. I couldn't believe that I would ever lose both parents so young when I feel like I needed them most. The pain and anxiety that I am left to deal with are extremely devastating. I hope I can do anything I can to inspire addicts to change for a better outcome because not only are they hurting themselves but they are deeply hurting the people around them too. My parents left me alone in the world with nothing but emotional and mental pain that I must struggle with on a daily basis. Please if you are one of these people who need help I am here and I care because I would never want your family to suffer the same fate as me if I can help it. Your time is a blessing, thank you.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Welcome to the forum, Willowstar. Your story is quite touching, I'm sorry for your losses and I can definitely understand where you're coming from. My parents are going the same way, and I can't get through to them in any way possible. Ever since I was a kid they smoked and drank everyday, they're helpless. Good luck in your life, you're never gonna be 100% healed in the future but you're gonna be a more awesome person than before for sure! :p
    deanokat and MrsJones like this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Hi Willowstar. Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to share your very heart wrenching story. I am s of sorry for the great loss you havever experienced and for that you went through at such a very young age. I am sorry you parents left you behind to go through life on your own. You are a strong young lady. I am glad to see you reaching out to help others. Take care of yourself and continue moving forward. Hugs
    deanokat and MrsJones like this.
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @Willowstar! :) Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I'm really sorry to learn that both your parents are already gone. Losing a parent is one of the most heartbreaking events in one's life. I could only imagine the pain you have been feeling until now. Although they might have gone, they have left you a very valuable lesson for you to live by and make use of as an inspiration in making your life a better one. Your story is not only an eye opener but a motivating factor for everyone to avoid alcohol.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sorry to know about that and I do hope that you feel much better now. So true that alcoholics are not just hurting themselves but also the people around them. Specially their family who love and care for them. In fighting against addiction, you are also fighting for your loved ones and they could fight the battle with you if situation allows.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Hello @Willowstar and thank you for sharing with us. I share with others of the early loss of your parents. Although they passed away at such an early age I hope that you have happy memories of them. Keeping those memories foremost in your mind every day will help ease your loss.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing. While I didn't lose my mom to addiction, I do understand what it feels like to lose a parent when you feel you really need them. The grief is something you just can't quantify. My mother will have been gone a year in just 9 days and I still cry when I am alone.
    It's great you came here to help and be supportive of others. Who knows, maybe you will save another child from being in your situation?
    deanokat likes this.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am so sorry Willowstar. It must have been horrible for you to not only lose your parents, but to know you were essentially helpless in their demise. Some people just can never escape the grasp of alcohol they call it "demon rum" for a reason. I hope you can find comfort and solace...and I hope this group will help you to do that.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Willowstar thank you for sharing your story with us and offering to help any who might be struggling emotionally or mentally like you did. I am so happy you recognize the need to help others and can't thank you enough for offering yourself to us here. Thank you for caring.

I am truly sorry for your loss and can't begin to imagine what losing parents so young might be like. Just know you are truly welcomed here and I hope you are as happy to have found us as we are to have you here. Welcome again.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Willowstar... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm so sorry that you lost both parents to this horrible disease. It's wonderful that you're here and wanting to help others. And I hope that you will be able to get over your emotional pain at some point. If you're not seeing a therapist, please consider it. My therapist really helped me deal with the emotional baggage I carried around for so many years as a result of my dad's alcoholism.

I'm glad you're here. Sending you peace and hugs.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@Willowstar Hello and thank you for the courage of sharing your story in this forum. I knew how painful is for a child to grew up and saw her parents struggling for addiction and then loss their lives. You had came to the right forum because all the people here are non judgemental people and are all here to give someone who is in need of help the best advice and support that they can give. I am sorry for your loss and don't ever think that it is the end of everything because for there are still better days to come into your life.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @Willowstar! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story to us here. I am sorry to hear about the loss of both of your parents. That must have been really painful for you. I know you're still struggling, but I admire you for staying strong in spite of what happened to you, and you're even reaching out, and helping other addicts out there. I wish you all the best. Keep inspiring other people.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. queend17

queend17 Active Contributor

Hey and I'm so sorry for your loss... I could never relate or even fathom what that must be like for you... I want to give you encouraging words but I'm not sure if it will help or if I'd sound like a jerk... But in the end, just stay strong and keep on pushing forward and never give up, try and surround yourself with good friends and whatever family you have left and try your best to allow yourself to be happy... and no matter what keep smiling....
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It's so great that you're here and willing to help others who need it. I'm very sorry you experienced that especially with both of your parents. Thank you for being a testimony to others.
  15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss because, indeed, your parents were still so young to depart, but thankfully they gave birth a wonderful daughter. Reading through your story is truly inspirational because despite your pain, you are going through the right pathway to help others.

I'm a recovered addict, and you cannot imagine how much I would appreciate to have someone like you next to mine with your loving core. All my blessings go to you @Willowstar!