An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Brain Over Binge

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Amelie Santos, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Amelie Santos

Amelie Santos Active Contributor

For anyone who's ever struggled with uncontrollable eating, there's a book that's supposed to help us get over it. It's entitled Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen. I'm only at the first chapter, and already I feel like she's describing MY experience - the humiliation, the shame, the self-pity, the self-hatred, the daily promises that start with "starting tomorrow ..." She talked about waking up on New Year's Day covered in sweat, holding a soda and a Pop-tart. I've done that, but my "drug" of choice was Pringles. She talked about indulging during the holidays meals, but saving her full-on binge for when everyone's asleep. I just did that last Christmas and New Year's. I feel like she's talking to me and about me, so I'm optimistic that it'll help me. I hope it'll help someone else too.
    djdrug and kgord like this.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That sounds like one I should read. I also like Dr. Phil's 20/20 diet book. It has a lot about the reasons we eat and the factors that go into it. Mind hunger, habit hunger and physiological hunger and differentiating between the various kinds of hungers and only eating when our body is actually truly hungry.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This sounds very interesting. Brain over anything would help fight an addiction in my opinion. I'm thinking that's what
    this book is about based on the title. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for sharing.
  4. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Sounds like it would be an interesting read, thank you for the recommendation. I think it perfectly exemplifies the impulsive behavior and inner struggle of anyone dealing with any kind of addiction, so I will try to get that book.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thanks for posting this. I can relate to everything that you are saying. I really need to read this book. It may help me get control of my eating and to develop better eating habits. I have read the Dr. Phil's 20/20 diet book.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

There's a saying that you can put anything your mind to it, so I think that's what the book is advocating. I think that can be applicable to all sorts of addictions as well, so it's important to always have the right frame of mind when fighting an addiction.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that the brain is interesting and also we need to try and make sure we think about what we eat and also we need to think about what the body does when we eat food which is unhealthy and have experienced this and also this book will be nice and also can help the people who are struggling with this problem in the body which can be hard to do. I think that it is going to be interesting to read the book which can help people out and also they can make the good choices and also hope that people read the book,which can make them think about the choices which they make in their life.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've definitely had moments in life where I've binge eaten - it's usually been in times of severe stress, and food was where I got comfort - but then of course the shame comes along with it too.

I'll have to check this book out - despite thinking that I have my binge eating under control I always like to learn more about it, to discover different approaches.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It will be really nice it will work for you and to others as well. I think books and other reading materials are beneficial especially for those who love to read. Some might prefer more videos or presentations for them to be motivated or moved.
  10. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Sounds like a book I could use! Thank you for sharing.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@Amelie Santos The book that you had mentioned sounds interesting and educational too. If you are optismistic that it will help you for sure it will indeed help other people too. Thanks for sharing! :)
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

This sounds like a wonderful book to read. Keep us posted on anything else you get out of this book. My mom kind of does the same thing, hence the reason why she is 300 lbs! It also doesn't hell that she can cook and cooking is her thing.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Thank you so very much for the book recommendation, sadly I am on the very same boat and I am struggling really badly :/ Binge eating is terrible, I really don't get why I sometimes I just end up eating more than I should, I used to have control over those feelings, but not anymore, it seems :(
  14. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

Thank you so much for the recommendation. It actually really means a lot - it's so, so useful to hear things that helped other people! I'll definitely find it and read it. I hope it carries on helping you. I'd love to hear how you're getting on as you read it, if you feel up to sharing.
  15. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Thank you for the book recommendation. Binge eating is nothing new to me. I usually binge eat in times of stress, problems or tension. It's terrible because I can go for a few days of healthy eating and then the next day, there I am binge eating junk foods especially chips and soda. I hope this book can help me cope with his problem of mine. It's not as bad as others' cases but it's just something I'd want to get rid of.
  16. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

Thanks for sharing this book. I know how it feels to binge on something and then feel the guilt and the shame afterwards. I tell myself that is the last time and I will not do it again but then it happens again. I feel even worse because I tell myself that I am weak to give in to the temptation and think about what I am doing to my body. It makes me feel like a loser and a failure. I hope this book works for you. I might have to check it out.
  17. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Thanks for this name. I wonder if this will help my sister. She doesn't let people know that its a problem, but it sort of is, isn't it. Hope Brain Over Binge will help her.
  18. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I will have to bring this up at work the next time we have a meeting. We have someone who is very active in a nutrition clinic where she deals with a lot of eating disorders and treatment and helping people overcome these sorts of issues, and she is always interested in new sources to use. Thank you for sharing.