An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Breaking Point

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

There are many things that can lead people to their breaking point when they come to the realization that they need to quit using drugs and alcohol for good. I was just curious what everyone had to say about their personal breaking point and the story behind it?
  2. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Most addicts whether it be alcohol or drugs will hit their breaking point or "rock bottom" many times.. At least that was the case for me. Usually my rock bottom consists of: selling everything I own of value, becoming homeless, illegal activity to continue having the funds to buy my drug, losing my family's support etc.. It's a continuing rotation. Getting clean is a want to process not a have to.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My addiction was making it impossible for me to get anything done.

When I got up first thing on my mind was the fix. And once I got it, I'd want another and another. Everything in my life was affected. I couldn't work. Friends left me because I had no time for them and I was left all alone and unhappy. I'd used the drugs because I thought they made me happy and when I lost my friends and realized that the drugs didn't really get me what I needed most, I had to change.
  4. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

For me it is all about getting over something a setting my priorities. Without a goal or a certain priority in life we just go around senselessly. Some just laying around and others drinking and taking drugs. When I'm having some hard time on my own I tend to drink and this doesn't fit my profile because I am in sports as long as I remember but I quit alcohol after some time of whatever happened to me. I had several breaking points in my life.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't had a real braking point, or at least not with substance abuse related, but my breaking point had to do with realizing about some aspects of my life that I needed to change in order to feel most comfortable with myself and live a better life, I think that a lot of breaking points has to do with that aspect.
  6. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

The breaking point where I decided to quit drugs for good was when I noticed heart pains. I then realized that these were signs that I could be on the hospital bed soon.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

My breaking point is seeing my family and loved ones hurt because of all my actions. If it's only me, I can accept all the hurt and the pain. But seeing them crying and concerned about me, it just broke me. I hate making my family hurt and feel like that. It's even worse seeing your mother beg you to stop the addiction. Every time they do this, a little part of me dies inside. And in a way, it's also liberating, seeing them taking care of me despite my numerous mistakes. And that's what has lead me to accept that I have a problem and that I need to change.

And I think that's why it's important to have support in your recovery. Not support where your loved ones enable you to use. But a kind of support where there's no judgments but they only want the best for you. The kind of support where they stick with you through the good and the bad times. The kind of support that will make you see the light in the dark.

Perhaps for some people this isn't their breaking point. But wouldn't it be nice to have that person that's always beside you no matter what? Maybe hitting rock bottom is your breaking point, or maybe being hospitalised, and having your loved ones right there beside you can help you get through those difficult times.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think I didn't reach that breaking point like the others did. I just decided that I needed to change and turn my life around. I wouldn't want to hit rock bottom for if I do, I'm afraid that I may not be able to recover.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

My breaking point didn't come all at once, it was more of a slow realisation that if I didn't stop what I was doing then I'd be dead soon.

Sometimes it does take a while to sink in, and for some people instead of waking up one day and saying I've had enough, it's more a case of looking in the mirror everyday and just simply not liking what you see.
    oportosanto likes this.
  10. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Yeah, I hear you pwarbi, things don't happen all of a sudden, they are the result of our actions every single day. One day we simply look around ourselves and see what we have done with our life.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Maybe when the reality that you're not going to live forever and everyday you are spending seconds, minutes and hours that will never be reimbursed hits home, you feel an overwhelming need to live a more meaningful existence and make up for past mistakes. That's when people start to turn their lives around. It's the same for me but in a more general sense.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I was only in my 20's when I realized enough was enough. I don't think it was any major thing - just a realization my life was getting away from me, I was hanging out with people that just encouraged me to keep drinking - so I would call my situation a gradual awakening of understanding I had a problem, and wanting to stop that way of life (rather than a breaking point). I felt like if I kept going on the path I was, my dreams and ambitions could really just disappear.
  13. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I was addicted to MDMA but only for a short period of time. I could see what the drug was doing to people around me, and even witnessed folks overdosing, and even dying from this dangerous substance. As someone that loves life, I realized I could no longer gamble with my life and decided to come clean.
  14. I had a problem with alcohol that was getting out of hand. My breaking point was when they told me I was borderline diabetic. I was drinking so much in such a short time. I had gained 60 pounds in a matter of a couple months!!! I had to figure out what was making me feel like I needed to drink. I started seeing a therapist snd started exercising regularly. That was 4 years ago!
  15. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

For many, its death of a close one; others its health issues and few had a spiritual nudge. Those who reach a breaking point need to be thankful for another chance in life, many have lost their lives through addiction and never had a second chance.