An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Breaking the generational curse

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by outlookrhonda, Jul 25, 2015.

1. outlookrhonda

outlookrhonda Member

A lot of families are pulling together to break the generational curses of alcoholism. For many years, many families have been subjected to the gene for the crave of alcohol. Families are pulling together to eliminate this demon by not having alcohol at family functions, not dining in restaurants which serve alcohol and find alternate activities to do which eliminate nightlife activities where alcohol would be encouraged.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Sadly, I haven't seen a family that does this yet. All my relatives are ignorant to what consequences alcohol and drugs have so they don't really care if they get wasted everyday in clubs.
    I'm happy to see that there are some families who are trying to change!
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Families should go that way when addiction is running through generations, but often happens exactly the opposed.

People who comes from a family of alcohol addicted members, and these are children of alcoholics, believe that they have to repeat the story of their parents, and the story of their grandparents and so on.

However I have never heard of a whole family trying to break such curse.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think that is the best thing to do when a family has an extreme craving for alcohol. They should just avoid situations or places that would just be full of temptations. Well, if ever they would face something like that, I think they should know how to practice self-discipline/self-control.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcoholism does seem to get passed down from one generation to the next, and it becomes a drinking culture that sets in. Alcohol. Despite all the damage it does, not only physically and mentally, but emotionally aswell, is still seen as a fun drug.

Getting people more aware of the risks and dangers involved in alcohol abuse is always going to be hard, and I don't think the media is helping as it portrays alcohol as a bit of harmless fun.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's great that there are families out there taking steps to beat generational alcoholism - good on them for being proactive and trying to beat it. Sadly though most of the people I know who have a family history of drinking seem to succumb to it rather than rising up against it. I feel like if you know something is a problem, it gives you the power to confront it head on.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Taking the initiative to root out drug abuse from families could be a noble goal but I doubt [I must be honest] that all family members would be "of one mind" so to say.

While some family members could welcome the change, others may not or even if they pretend they do, they'll get their booze elsewhere.

The best way to deal with the problem, if addiction has been a family problem for generations, parents [those who want to break the curse] must be good role models and do all they can to raise their kids right. But that too doesn't guarantee much. Once they are grown up the children could start drinking . . .
  8. andrewjames

andrewjames Member

Being honest about a family trait for addiction is the first step. If the problem is genetically inherited, then it is sometimes the case that total abstinence from a substance is required right from an early age.

I do think that generational addiction is often more a case of learned behavior among the family than it is genetic, however. Difficult to prove, but either way it has to be tackled in the open.
  9. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

That's a pretty good way to go about it, haven't really seen anything like that in real life however, all of my family drinks on both sides and all of my friends family gatherings still seem to have a lot of liquor. Hopefully it catches on though!