An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Breathing Exercise

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Vinaya, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

It has been found that when ever you feel physical and mental exhaustion, if you perform breathing exercise it will lower your physical and mental stress. In Yoga, there is a systematic breathing techniques which is called pranayama.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I've heard that breathing techniques contribute to stress relief and it also helps regulate your blood circulation. Perhaps yoga or meditation should be incorporated in rehab programs. Recovering individuals should not only talk about their respective experiences but they should also engage in activities that allow them to relax and find inner peace.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I agree with you all; breathing exercises also help a great deal with anxiety. These exercises are used for many things pertaining the body and only a few people are aware of this.
    It is an exercise that should be practiced by everyone on a daily basis to help mental and physical stability.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Deep breathing helps me control my anger. I have a very short fuse and my angry outburst has caused me a lot of trouble in the past. I find that breathing exercise relaxes me and helps me control and manage my anger better.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

6. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Sure. I replaced alcohol with lemon juice a long time ago. If you're stressed and your head starts spinning, just have lemon juice. It'll destress you really quickly.

And then breathe in an breathe out. Breathing exercises in yoga or tai-chi are really useful. But, any kind of deep breathing helps.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Whenever the situation is too chaotic for me, I try to breathe more slowly and deeply. This has helped me cope with whatever situation I am facing. For instance, my son is such a naughty boy, so he always, always finds ways to irritate and anger me. I cannot take out my anger or frustration on him though so whenever I cannot take it anymore, I go to the bathroom and do some breathing exercises. After that, I'm more relaxed and I am able to talk to him peacefully about this naughty antics.

Whenever my husband and I have some fight, I also do this breathing exercises. It's better to leave the room and find some calmer place rather than say things that I might regret to him. So with that, I would go outside and try to collect myself and breathe deeply. Breathe in and breathe out. Although we might not talk yet, at least maybe during the night, we can discuss whatever issue we have with each other.

I hope this helps!
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have read and heard of it but never really tried the yoga way. I just have tried the simple deep breathing and right that it could help someone at least feel better. I believe that this kind of exercises is helpful and beneficial.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Taking control of my breathing and trying to slow it down/breathe more deeply is something that I've really found helps with my anxiety. Sometimes before I even know it, I've worked myself into an anxious state and I can just feel how quick and shallow my breathing is. I definitely find a big difference when I pay more attention to regulating it.
  10. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I've never gotten into yoga really but I do perfom breathing exercices everyday. Its a wonderful tool to have if you suffer from anxiety or are dealing with very stressful situations. I didn't know anything about breathing a couple years ago, it was bad. Now whenever I feel my heart rate rising and short out of breath, it never gets to the "heart attack" level as before.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is absolutely right and I am doing this breathing exercises whenever I feel exhausted and stress. It really helps me to feel better after a few slow but deeply breath. And I am doing this outside where there is fresh air around and it really refreshes me and helps me to go back to my good mood and emotion. This breathing techniques and exercises is really good.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, doing some simple breathing exercises make me feel relaxed if I'm feeling stressed or tense, but I tend to do it mostly when I'm angry so that I won't explode with negativity. :D