An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Bring Candy

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Dec 30, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Heading out to a New Year's eve party tomorrow night? If you're concerned about the possibility of being tempted by alcohol while there, consider bringing some candy with you. The sweet sugar in the candy and having something else to think about may help with the oral fixation. Also, the candy flavor taste in your mouth may make alcohol flavors seem less appealing.
  2. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Hmm, okay. Alcohol hasn't ever really been my "thing", therefore I don't remember giving any serious thought about what to do to combat that type of craving. This is my first time 'hearing' about candy as a way to stave off the desire for alcohol. These days I have been drinking a lot more than usual lately, so perhaps I'll give this a try; not for the New Year's festivities, but just in general.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I hadn't heard of that approach but I'm sure it could work for some people - I know that friends who were addicted to cigarettes did this, though! I think it was a big mental part of the 'hand to mouth' type repetitive behaviour that they were used to, so it helped alleviate that side of the cravings.
  4. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I have never heard of this approach but am very curious if other people have success using it.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I think it is a bad idea. Especially in light of recent studies on sugar and it's effects on the brain as well as the body.
  6. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

I love candy so this sounds delicious! I think I'll substitute sugar free gum instead, since I'm watching my calories. What are some New Year's Eve activities you suggest? Whatever you do, have a safe and fun time! Best wishes for 2016!:):cool::D
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It does sound like a great idea. Since I am fond of candies, I think this would work effectively on my end. Thanks for sharing, by the way. :)
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think you should do whatever works. I mean if candy is your cup of tea, then use that. I had an ex that used to try to stop smoking all the time with candy. It did work for him to a certain extent. However, candy just doesn't have the kick of tobacco. I think that would be a tough one...although I guess it worked for Kojak lol....for those of you old enough to get that reference.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Good Idea!
    I always have candy and nuts available at any function I run.
    Nuts still in the shell are great because it can help people keep their hands busy and is healthy to boot!
  10. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I think maybe gum might be an even better choice, should you choose to go this route. Since it will just be there (until you decide to get rid of it), it can serve that oral fixation plus serve as a little reminder of why you're chewing it in the the first place.
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Good idea! Not necessarily candy but I usually bring something to chew on if I feel anxious going to a partY. Chewing gum does the trick for me, it keeps my mouth active so I don't have time to think about drinks! :d
  12. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I like the idea of nuts or gum, but I think candy is a bad idea. Sugar is a terrible thing to sate cravings with. It all ends badly if you do.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Yes but if it's candy that helps you, then it's better then drinking or smoking or going back on old habits.
    When I helped a friend quit smoking, she ate those little red cinnamon hearts constantly.
    She said it was the only thing that works for her.
    Sure they are pure sugar and not good for you, but are they better then falling back into smoking? You better believe they are.
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Sugarless gum is always a good choice. Everybody is different so whatever works for each individual is best for them. People know what tempts them. Drinking water helps. I like the sparkling water is a nice non alcohol drink.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it is a nice idea than to drink alcoholic beverages. Right that there could be better options like nuts if only looking for something to make yourself busy. It may work for some and it is nice to try than nothing to do to keep yourself stay away from alcohol temptation.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that can work, especially if the person is a candy lover. It will keep his mouth busy, and hopefully it can stop the alcohol cravings.
  17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I like this idea as well. You should get some candy that will get you chewing like gum or tootsie rolls. It also wouldn't help to get some mint based candy so you are keeping busy and smelling fresh,lol. Just be sure to brush your teeth when you get home.
  18. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I never thought about using candy as a means to not drinking alcohol. I would have thought that you would want to bring a delicious flavor of juice or something so that you could have a drink with no alcohol in it. I chewed a lot of gum when I quit smoking to the point that my jaw hurt really bad for a while.
  19. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I guess this may be a good idea and work for some. However, I would say that it is best to steer clear of any parties where they are serving alcohol if you are in recovery. It is not just about giving up the alcohol, but also changing your lifestyle. This often involves making changes such as the places you frequent and the people you spend time with. A new life is what you want and you need to choose it.