An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the Forums?Join or

Brother on meth. Can I get him committed?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Misskt, Dec 13, 2017.

  1. Misskt

    Misskt Member

    Hi all. My 25 year old brother has been an addict for about 10 years. He shoots up heroin and meth. Just within the past few months the meth use has gotten so bad that I fear for his safety and my families safety. Some of his odd behavior includes: sitting in the bathroom for HOURS on end making weird noises and talking to himself, staring in the mirror and picking his face for hours, talking about how he sees and communicates with aliens and he can see demons inside of certain people, and that "really bad guys are trying to kill him" on a daily basis. just some really bizarre **** he says and the messed up part is he THINKS ITS ALL REAL. Its not like the next day he comes down and realizes what he was saying was a hallucination, NO. He believes these things from day to day. Im aware these are hallucinations from the meth use but Im at a loss here. Interventions didn't help. Being supportive and understanding didn't help. Jail didn't help. He doesnt accept he has a problem so he won't go to treatment. Is it possible, being his sister, that I could get power of attorney to get him committed? Anybody know if its a hard process to go thru? Obviously my brother is in danger and harming himself and can possibly kill himself any day. Any help or advice is much needed right now :(
  2. deanokat

    deanokat Community Organizer Community Listener

    @Misskt... I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. It sounds like he is in desperate need of help. Unfortunately, I don't know if you could get power of attorney and have him committed or not. My initial thought is that it would be a very difficult thing to do, and would probably involve the courts, a lawyer, etc. If he threatens to harm himself or others, you could either call the police or take him to a hospital ER and tell them that. In both instances, it's likely that they would, at the very least, have him evaluated by a social worker. I wish I had more concrete advice for you, but I don't. You may want to consult with an attorney.

    I'm keeping you, your brother, and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    Misskt likes this.
  3. Hi Misskt,
    I have a friend who is fairly knowledgeable regarding treatment / voluntarily & involuntary commitment.
    * Can you tell me what state your brother is in?
    * Does he have any prior or ongoing DIAGNOSED mental health illnesses {you don't have to reveal their names.}
    Please inbox me if you like
    Misskt likes this.
  4. Last edited: Dec 20, 2017