An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Budgeting For Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 6up, Aug 13, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

How much money do you use to buy alcohol per month?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't really drink nowadays. The last time I purchased alcohol was when I celebrated my birthday which was already 2 months ago. As much as possible, I try to save 10% of what I earn in a month for future purposes, not on alcohol.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Some people say that factoring in alcohol onto your budget is the warning signs of having a drink problem. I don't agree with that thiuggh, just because someone like a drink, doesn't necessarily mean they're drink to excess.

I think most people like a drink every now and again so adding alcohol to your weekly shopping budget isn't smthat big of a deal, as far as I'm concerned, as long as your not doing without other things.
  4. shenika

shenika Member

I honestly believe if you have to make a budget for alcohol, you definitely have a drinking problem but i also believe making a budget will also help with the amount of alcohol you consume.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I spend around $6 on a bottle of wine once a week, but do not really budget for it. If I do not have the money to spend on it, then I just do not buy a bottle. A bottle lasts me about 3 days and is nice to unwind with on a day off from work.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Budgeting for alcohol isn't that great because by doing so you unconsciously choose to make alcohol a necessary evil in your life.

While I have no doubt that there are some people who are in control, most aren't and even though they [most alcoholics] might include alcohol in their budget and allocate a small percentage of their earnings to it, they'll end up spending a lot more than they originally planned because alcohol controls them.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

If anything, it would be a part of the food budget and food always comes before alcohol. I agree that you are really enabling your addiction if you make the decision to have an alcohol budget.
  8. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I cannot allow myself to consume alcohol. I quickly get out of control. I will drink myself broke if I am allowed to get started.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Zero. I don't drink or smoke, so I don't need to budget for those things. I'm so lucky that I don't have any vices at all and I also don't have an addictive personality.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

These days rarely if ever. Maybe the equivalent of one drink every 6 months. It's not worth it for a number of reasons - not just the financial cost!

Back in my drinking days though I don't even want to recall the dollar figure it would have been. If I could take it all back I would.
  11. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I don't budget for alcohol or buy it. I very rarely have a drink and it is mostly when I visit a friend or go out for dinner, which is not all that often. Alcohol is no longer a priority in my life. I don't miss it.
  12. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

If you have started putting alcohol into consideration when planning your monthly budget, then you are well on your way into alcohol addiction. Though you might think it will help you control it, but, adding it to your monthly list alone shows how important it is becoming to you.
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not really a drinker, I just drink alcohol when I'm hanging out with my friends, so I approximately spend 10 dollars per month in alcohol, but it really depends on how busy I am to hang out with them, I think that is not a lot of money.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I don't see how making a budget for alcohol automatically means you have a drink problem. In fact I'd go as far as to say it shows that you don't, because if you can't afford alcohol, according to your budget, then you simply don't buy any.

If you had a drink issue then you'd buy it as opposed to buying other things that you actually need, so making a budget makes more sense than not in my opinion.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm not sure. That was a number I never would think about. Reason being, once I got my pay check I bought beer. Everything else was to be budgeted. I never budgeted for alcohol. Beer came first then everything else.
  16. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

In the past I would easily spend a $100 in one night on alcohol. But thankfully those days are long gone. I haven't had a drink in a very long time and, out of principle, I don't buy alcoholic drinks for others. My current boyfriend likes to drink an occasional beer, which I don't mind. But I would never buy him one. I made the decision when I stopped drinking to never again spend a cent on alcohol, and I have stuck with my resolution.
  17. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

None anymore thank god. When I drank I'd say it was very easy for me to spend roughly $100 or more a month on beer. Also I'm a smoker, and that would cost me additional money for more cigarettes cause I smoked more when I was a drinker.
  18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I don't longer have a budget for alcohol, in fact I had none when I started drinking in excess because most of the wine I drank was given to me as a gift.

Actually I may buy a bottle of wine, a cooler or a beer if I feel like wanting a shot and there is some money left in the budget for the month, but I don't sacrifice anything in the budget as a way to get alcohol covered up. Ultimately I would prefer not to buy it.
  19. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

There is a senior in my college hostel who I am friends with. He spends a lot on alcohol but is always asking others for money for his daily needs. I have tried explaining to him that it's no good. But he just doesn't listen. I think he has an addiction.
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I have to budget for everything right now and that includes beer. I set aside £10 per month and look for the best deal I can find on one of my favourite brands. BTW, the £10 covers both me and OH.

There's only one problem with beer offers and that's the fact that once you've got it home, you now have a house full of beer! So it doesn't all get drunk at once, I'll split the pack, put half in the fridge and hide the rest for a fortnight.

I'm pretty certain we aren't on the path to alcohol addiction, it's just nice to have a cold beer or two at the weekend as a treat.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015