An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Buprenorphine 101

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by Jen S., Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

2. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Well, this is beyond great information, really good information, I did not know about it, but now I have a lot of details regarding it, this is really educating, I am sure it is going to be an eye opener for many on this site, myself being one of them.
    Jen S. likes this.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Awesome, Determined2014. Let us know if you have any questions :)
  4. snlich

snlich Member

This is a great source on the often hard to research buprenorphine. Glad I found it.

I spent around 2 years total on bupe. My first experience was...crappy. Second one, not so much. At the end of the day, however, it kept me relatively sober. I say that not to sound crappy about it, because it really did help me in the end and staying that sober is always a good thing. I just wish I knew all the information posted within this thread before I started! ;)
  5. ProShell

ProShell Member

This is a great resource for a number of reasons. There are relatively few well corroborated sources of information regarding prescription drug abuse, and the SAMHSA, or the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration is a great provider of this kind of data.

Buprenorphine especially is a tricky type of drug, it is only partially as effective as harder narcotics. People are really unlikely to enjoy it, and it can help you to get sober!
  6. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I'm glad there are options out there to make cleaning up so much easier. I think one of the biggest issues with quitting is physically withdrawing. One you get past that its still hard, but a little more bearable.
  7. Thanks for this great post! I was on bupe for 4 years and it really changed my life. I was on both Suboxone and Subutex once that became generic because it was a bit cheaper and found both worked just as well. Getting off bupe was difficult but rewarding. I think it is very important to work with your doctor to create a slow taper plan which allowed me to avoid most of the worst parts of withdrawals.

It still took a good bit of will power to get off bupe but im glad it exists as a treatment tool and think it can be really helpful for people looking to quit opiate addictions.
    Ky420us likes this.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It sounds like you are looking for your next addiction. Or this is an ad for buprenorphine with the links. Doctors don't seem to have a problem prescribing what people ask for.
    I'm not sure I get the concept of using a drug to get off another drug. Seems like elementary but perhaps this is the point. Get an addict so you can take advantage of them.
  9. Ky420us

Ky420us Member

10. Ky420us

Ky420us Member

So, I quit Bupe after 3 years, and I was on 8mg a day.. I didn't really taper,& it's only been a week, but the withdrawals are brutal.. Not quite as bad as heroin, but close enough..does anyone have any advice on how long this will last and what I can do to help the withdrawals?? Thanks!
    Berrygirl likes this.
  11. remnant

remnant Community Champion

This is a very comprehensive technical post about Buprenorphine an opioid drug for the treatment of mild to chronic pain. Of note is that the drug is used to wean off patients from chemical dependency. This is a good resource for workers and practitioners of drug abuse treatment. I am wondering whether the drug is available as a prescription drug and chances of itself creating its own dynamic of dependency.
  12. jbutta

jbutta Member

I am off of suboxin now for 3 days. Was only taking 2 mg then 1 and now none. Been on suboxin for 5 years. What can I expect?
  13. jbutta

jbutta Member

I am 3 days in AND it is brutal. Don't know how long. The last time I went off, It was a week of mild flue like symptoms for 7 days. Thought it was never going away.
    This time, I was on suboxin for 5 years. I'm scared the wd will be way worse. How are you now
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I hope you feel better soon, @jbutta. Things will get better!
    jbutta likes this.
  15. jbutta

jbutta Member

thank you
    deanokat likes this.
  16. Galworried

Galworried Member

After 7 day's you "should be through the worst. Are you able to sleep at all?
    jbutta likes this.
  17. jbutta

jbutta Member

THANK YOU FOR SOMEBODY GETTING BACK TO ME......I am at day 5. Ive been on the subuxin for like 10 years. Have to fly tmrw....so I took 1 mg. to handle flight. I hope I didn't mess up my progress. Today WAS THE WORST. Have to pack..etc. Couldn't even move. I was taking 2 mgs. previously. I am sleeping with the help of over the counter stuff.
  18. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@jbutta... I wouldn't worry too much about taking the 1 mg. to handle the flight. Remember: Progress, not perfection. You're moving in the right direction and that's the important thing. :)
  19. suboxonesaves

suboxonesaves Member

Suboxone will not get you high. But it will straighten you out almost immediately. And for those of us that were no longer taking opiates to get high, but just be normal, you will know how absolutely wonderful that is.. LIFE BACK!!
    I was on Suboxone for 2 years and weened off easily. There was no withdrawl.. and anybody who says it is a horrible withdrawl is doing it wrong. Ween off gradually, zero withdrawl.
    If you want to quit, not still get high like methadone.. Suboxone is the '****'. And will save your life.
    Addict for 7 years on every opiate known to man.. 2 years completely recovered thanks to Suboxone.
    And to say 2 years sounds wrong, I was fixed literally in 2 days.
    I felt normal, like I had my life back almost immediately... so the 2 years was just a daily appointment, you stay clean, you get carries a LOT faster than methadone. And then a weekly easy visit.. so they can make sure you are not still abusing... If your country, state, province doesn't have Suboxone treaement, and AFFORDABLY!! make it happen. IT saves lives and it works.
    Berrygirl likes this.
  20. suboxonesaves

suboxonesaves Member

I even started taking 1/2 1mg pills for a bit.. then 1/2 every 2 days.. etc.. weening down to where i would take 1 because i felt i was getting restless leg.. it turns out i just needed to stretch.. but point is.. when you get down to 1 .. you can stagger days, 1 every 2.. they are long lasting and i've not had my pills for 3 days before actually feeling anything.. But there is nothing wrong with keeping a couple around and doing 1/2 pill,... 1/4 pill. whatever works. Eventually you will feel strong enough to do no pills. Then never look back.!!