An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Buying Drugs Online. Is it really pro-consumer ?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by sharatharadhya, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Buying drugs online has become a big market these days, at least here in India. I don't know what impact it has on the consumers worldwide. There is a lot of debate here about whether it is right to sell prescription drugs online or not. Although it is compulsory to show your prescription at the time of delivery, I don't think it is still a viable option here in India. Restricted and narcotic Drugs can be made easily available to fake prescriptions. What are the measures taken in your country to tackle these problems ?
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I think most of the online pharmacies that sell narcotics are a scam, at least here in the US. I know a lot of people buy diabetics supplies online.
  3. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

Actually we have quite a few online suppliers, anyone heard of silk road? I think it's taken down now but you cannot assume that just because a certain country has a higher GDP they have better control on their narcotics trade. I used to travel a lot for me job and really I would say it's easiest to get drugs online in the US.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's the part I would be worried about - fake prescriptions, or people buying from multiple websites using the same prescription - I just don't know how it all works in terms of regulatory approval. Personally I think it could be really dangerous if there aren't super stringent checks on everything, but again, even if there are I'm sure things can still slip through the cracks.
  5. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Fake prescriptions work just as well at a dispensing chemists just as much as they do online. It really depends here whether you're talking about a legitimate pharmacy or an illegal one.

I started a thread recently about online pharmacies here in the UK, and everyone seemed to get the idea that the pharmacies were illegal or something, which was simply not true. I think there is a disconnect here between what people think an online pharmacy is, and what it is in reality.
  6. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

This has the feeling like it could be a dangerous topic. It makes sense that it would do the consumer well because you might be able to find better prices, but there are certainly some issues with regulations and things like that which might make someone weary. I would just stick with the traditional route unless you are certain of what you are getting.
  7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Considering that any drug can be obtained via deep web sources virtually un-traced I'm thinking opinions of legal ventures may not matter much.
  8. johnstatler14

johnstatler14 Member

It's extremely difficult to stop the online drug market. For one, officials can not inspect every single package that goes through customs and/or the mail. That would be privacy infringement and it would take forever. Second, suppliers have gotten smart, and package their 'product' very well, and very discreet. The U.S. is powerless in that sense. I do not condone it, as abusing prescription and non-prescription drugs is obviously not very good.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I wouldn't try buying drugs online. Maybe to do a price check between pharmacies though. If you can't go to the pharmacy yourself I don't see why you can't have someone pick it up for you or have it delivered to your house. All I can think of is being extremely cautious if you want to buy it through the Internet.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

In New Zealand, there is regulations in places to check the medication which comes from different countries or other places as sometimes the quality can be different as it can take time to sort it out and also the person needs to make sure it is necessary to take these pills or drugs, that they order online and hope they can make the right choices which will bring good results. There are updates every few months as to how the law is regulating the drugs that people buy online and also do warn people that they should check what they pay for is what they are getting in the package, and don't get upset over it if it is not the right thing. I reckon that people need to check the prices and also make sure they need the medication which will do the job for them and online buying can be hard to check on sometimes as people can try and get something which is not the right thing.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Not just fake prescriptions but also fake medicines. Online stores or sellers have ways to get away easily from their buyers and sadly to say, online selling is being used for various scams. But not all and people should be aware of knowing the legit ones.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's relatively easy to buy any drugs online. Even if a US-based pharmacy/site is strict about selling only to people who have legit prescriptions then someone who wants the drugs could buy them anyway from a pharmacy that's elsewhere even though it [I've heard]] is illegal. It's hard to enforce some laws.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I don't think it's a great idea.
    It opens too many doors for abuse, drugs should be prescribed by your doctor and dispensed by your pharmacy.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

This is absolutely true!

Most sites selling pharmacy products, narcotics or illegal drugs are scam.

Dietary supplements and "miracle" products might not be what they say to be, prescription drugs maybe Aspiring or another "inoffensive" over-the-counter medication packed as if it were a restricted medication, while narcotics and illegal drugs can be truly harmful due to unknown content.

Some of those might be a mix of herbs and other substances, while many are research chemicals resembling well-known drugs, but which effects are not thoroughly tested and proven.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I don't think there are any measures taken here in the US for this. Canada and Mexico sell drugs to anyone I think. I've seen spam emails for this. Doesn't make any sense to buy like this though. There is too much weird stuff going on. It's not something to mess with. I don't think it's a good idea at all. But you know some people will try anything.
  16. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

Abuse, panacea, scams.
    Sure, this happens.
    Then again, if you have a prescription for a drug but it's removed from the market for licensing reasons and there is literally no alternative, what are you going to do? Suffer for the sake of the license, or find a trustworthy online pharmacy (yes, they do exist!)? What if your country is oppressive enough the government limits or straight out bans access to a medication in certain cases (decided politically, not medically)?
    Sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks and dangers.
  17. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I don't believe prescription drugs should be allowed to be sold online. People are open to being scammed, and there is the possibility of them being sold inferior or potentially harmful stuff. There are times when pharmacists give useful advice which helps the client to better understand how the drug should be taken. I don't know if there would be the possibility of this important one-on-one communication when the prescription is obtained online.
  18. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

A lot of people I know have talked about buying on "dark markets" online, not so much for RX drugs but for street drugs. They use bitcoin or other virtual currency so it's not traceable and a special type of web browser to get around being found. It sounds very technical and requires quite a bit of know how (it's really a bit over my head!) but drug addicts will find a way. One thing I have heard is that this can actually be safer than buying drugs on the street because you are not physically putting yourself in dangerous neighborhoods, carrying cash, etc.
  19. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

I will assume you mean "without prescription" because otherwise it's just silly: neither of the reasons you mentioned justifies not allowing it. It just has to be as controlled as regular pharmacies, and has many advantages, for example for bedridden individuals and when a drug is out of local pharmacies for whatever reason.

Even in normal pharmacies one might be sold inferior or harmful stuff. Companies recall whole batches all the time (sometimes leaving people with no alternative but online pharmacies). The fact a pharmacist might know something is irrelevant in many cases, like if you used the medication before. They're people too and might give you bad advice. It happened to me a couple times, it's pretty disturbing to think how many times I missed because I didn't know better. The only real issue is the possibility of being scammed, which wouldn't be a thing if businesses like that operated fully legally. Many do (depends on the country etc.) and are essentially as safe as any other pharmacy when the patient knows what they're doing.
  20. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Nowadays, you can buy almost anything online, even drugs. Here in my country, the only one that I know of that has an online store is Mercury Drug, the most popular drug store here. Everything is legit. You can pick it up or have it delivered. They even have a drive-through.