An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Caffeine is a drug.

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by amin021023, Sep 22, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Hey all. I don't drink coffee much but recently am considering starting drinking coffee in a regular basis because I've heard it could act as an anti-depressant and be good for my mental problems but I don't know much about coffee so I'm asking you what could go wrong...
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I try to avoid caffeine, because it can absolutely become an addiction over time. I can't speak to any expressely anti-depressant powers, but I can see the energy kick it provides dispelling the blues - but only on a short-term basis. Once the high, so to speak, wears off, you'll wind up wanting more. Build up a regime of drinking and there's a good chance you can develop at the very least a habit, if not a full-blown addiction.

If you decide to drink coffee, try to limit yourself to a single cup a day, and not a large one at that. Don't go past the one cup. You'd be surprised how quickly one balloons to two, three, four, five...
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I heard that many people who started drinking coffee were not able to function properly anymore without it, so be careful. You can drink black tea instead, it is not as powerful but is way more healthy and has many more benefits (you can google them). I don't recommend starting to consume coffee as it is highly addictive.
  4. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

It depends. As I am not in the medical field, I am simply speaking from my own experiences. I think it depends on how much you consume. Too much of ANYTHING is bad for you. That being said, if you drink coffee sporadically and not constantly it may help you out and give you a little more pep in your step. Beware however, just as we can get addicted to drugs, caffeine can be considered a drug too. Be responsible and don't overdo it. Stay safe!
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I have probably 3-4 cups of coffee a morning. When I don't have it, I get the worst headaches - to the point that it's basically a migraine and I have to sleep it off and take ibuprofen to try and get rid of it. I've been trying to gradually lessen my consumption but sometimes it feels easier said than done. It's absolutely a drug though and absolutely has dependence/withdrawal effects.
  6. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Anything that you can't function without, needs to be evaluated. Our grandparents didn't need all this coffee or RocketFuel or Tazmanian Devil Stuff or whatever. It's become a nice placeholder for the things we've sacrificed in our busy-busy-stay-on-top-of-things world: sleep, exercise, and connection.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think when a person has to rely on something to get on their life, then it is a problem which can affect their thinking and also, need to be aware that it can affect their sleep and also concentration as well in their day to day activities. I know some people who were addicted to caffeine and also would get depressed if they did not have coffee everyday, and sometimes would have two or three cups a day and this affected them later on in life. I reckon that people need to be aware that caffeine can affect them in their day to day life, and also it can cause problems in their function of everyday life.
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've been drinking coffee for over a decade. I need my daily coffee fix but I seldom go over two cups of coffee per day. I will get a minor headache if I don't drink coffee which can be annoying. However, if I go without coffee for 2-3 days then I no longer suffer this problem.

Generally, I've found that coffee keeps me switched on when I've got a lot of work and mental juggling to do. It's also a great antioxidant, there are definitely advantages to drinking coffee but I'd advise in consuming it in moderation.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

If you start drinking coffee your body will get adjusted this way as well, so basically if you include caffeine in your life and rely on it that's gonna be the case for the rest of your life. Green tea is a much better alternative, although my point still stands.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Yeah, most people I know get 'addicted' to coffee. My husband's aunt drinks 3-4 cups a day. I don't think drinking coffee is bad per se. But drinking it in excess can be dangerous to your health. Everything taken in excess can be bad. So if you want to start drinking coffee, try to drink 1-2 cups a day only. Another alternative is green tea which also has caffeine and antioxidant properties, but healthier than coffee.
  11. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I agree with Damein Lee, It's good if taken in moderation. Really boosts your energy in the morning and acts as an anti-depressant too which I could use.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

If you drink it moderately you should be okay. Too much coffee can cause diarrhea and insomnia. I think coffee has antioxidants in it so that might fight depression a bit. As long as you only have a cup or two a day you'll be alright. I'm about to get a cup myself.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Coffee is fine in moderation and can actually be quite beneficial. Recent studies have shown that regular consumption of coffee in moderate amounts can help prevent bowel cancer. The caffeine can perk you up a bit though and it can be addictive. There is also such a thing as caffeine intoxication. High levels of caffeine can increase the heart rate, cause anxiety and can be unhealthy but up to four cups of coffee per day should be fine.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also avoid drinking coffee but I drink green tea which also have caffeine. There are other products that contain caffeine. I think that as long as you consume it in moderation, it will be just fine.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Caffeine is actually very addictive, but it doesn't have terrible withdraw symptoms like dope does.
    You will just be a little cranky and tired.
    It's the most widely consumed drug in the world, anyone who tells you it's not a drug needs to do a little reading.
    BUT I still drink coffee, it's a nice touch to my mornings and there really isn't terrible side effects like the drugs I used to take.
    As with many things in this life, it's fine in moderation.
  16. Sparkster

Believe it or not, Caffeine Intoxication was actually added to the DSM (the diagnostic manual of mental disorders) by the American Psychiatric Association a while ago. The latest version of the DSM (5) which is currently being used can be used to diagnose Caffeine Intoxication as a mental health disorder!
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Caffeine is addictive just as nicotine. So it would be prudent that you don't overdo it. Caffeine does indeed have a calming effect but the real danger is its side effects once you start to withdraw from it. Headache and feeling nauseated are just some of them.
  18. Sparkster

Alternatively, instead of caffeine (or coffee) having a calming effect, high doses can have the oppposite effect and can lead to you becoming more tense and agitated more easily. Regular high doses can cause hypertension, anxiety and elevated stress levels. Caffeine can be conidered to be an upper. It gives you energy and increases your heart rate making you feel more awake and alert. Then when you go without, you begin to realize it's effects and you feel tired and lethargic without it.
  19. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Coffee can cause a lot of problems because I know some people can get addicted to coffee. If you are worried about the caffeine you can try decaffeinated.
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I do drink coffee on a regular basis, especially in the morning, and it definitely cheers me up, I way feel more motivated than if I didn't drink it, but approximately one hour after that I feel really sleepy and tired, so it kind of works for me... If you're planning to regularly drink coffee just make sure that is not something that you cannot handle.