An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Camping as a means of free treatment

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by JoshPosh, Nov 18, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Instead of covering the cost of a rehab program or clinic, I am intrigued by the idea of going camping as an alternative. You think about it. It's free and isolated. Nothing to pressure you or persuade you to dip back into addiction. Cleanse the body and soul. Why wouldn't it be an alternative?

Your thoughts?
    RingoBerry likes this.
  2. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I guess it really depends on the person and their ability to camp for a really long time. How long can somebody miss work camping to kick a habit. It's a neat idea and if you had the means to do so it would probably be likened to Native American quests minus any stimulants.

Another thought is camping as a way just to clear the head over the course of a weekend as part of a plan to clean up. It's a neat thought.
  3. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I like your idea, however the person should take others with them who either have already kicked the habit or talk to someone from AA to see if they could get involved. Make it an excursion of a sorts. They all work together as a group to work out their habit problems while being in a clean and stress free environment. It is a very good idea.
  4. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Camping is fun for sure. If you get involved and distract your mind it may be a very good alternative to treatment. But I mean so can skydiving or playing sports.
  5. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Ultimately if I were an addict I would want to enroll in some kind of licensed treatment center and be surrounded by medical professionals.
  6. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that there are people who kick addiction like this, and at home by themselves, and while living with friends, that are not surrounded by professionals. It can be done, but I guess my question would be, are you really kicking it, or do you just have a lack of options? Unless you're treating the reasons that usually come along with addiction, and the desires to indulge in drugs, you're really just taking a break. I think rehab is different than simple detox, it's about learning new behaviors, it's about finding alternative ways of thinking, and it's even about saying now when you DO have access.

I'm not saying it couldn't work for some people, but it seems like more of a patch than a true fix.
  7. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think it depends on what addiction you are dealing with. If you are going to be detoxing from something really strong, or you were taking a lot, it might be a really bad idea because your withdrawal symptoms could be really bad. I would think risk of dehydration especially would be a risk if you ended up puking a lot and not being able to keep anything down. You wouldn't want to be out in the woods and have something like that happen.

Besides that, to be successful you would need to take that time to make a plan to change the things in your life that feed and support your addiction. Make plans to change your daily routine, to avoid tempting places and people. Hopefully you would be camping with friends and family who are going to be your primary support system so you can all work together during that time to make plans that can be carried out to help you succeed.
  8. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, maybe. But that's just one of the plans, not the only alternative. Why, a user can't just go camping when the urge sets in. And like what DancingLady said, what if the withdrawal symptoms show up while out and camping. You can't just be alone to handle it. But for sure, you have thought about all these JoshPosh and have a lineup of solutions for the inevitable circumstances that come along with it.

More so, you will still go back to friends, family and the environment that could have prompted you to become an addict. How you will be able to resist the pressure without having to go camping again is a major turning point in your life.
  9. JoshPosh

I should have mentioned that while on this camping trip, there will be individuals that will care for the addicted person. It could be family and friends.
  10. JoshPosh

I got the idea of camping for treatment from the movie "The Evil Dead". The remake. If you guys watched it before, there was a girl that did go camping with her family and friends, and one of which was a nurse. So there was a support group, family was present, and a health professional was there.
    Nick W. likes this.
  11. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Ack! Terrible movie! Can't believe they messed up a classic like that. LOL With a support group along, I think it would work. Not to mention would be a lot of fun. Of course when you said camping I was thinking tents, fire pit, and woods. I never thought of staying in a cabin as being camping. :p
    Nick W. likes this.
  12. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I remember there was a show following a group of teens who were sent to a rehab camp in Central Oregon. Being out in the wilderness definitely eliminated their opportunity to obtain drugs or alcohol, but they were also supervised by adults who were not just wilderness experts, but also counselors with training in how to help these kids discover the roots of some of their problems and work through them.
  13. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I've seen TV programs where they sent people into the wilderness in the hope that they will be able to overcome their addiction. I think it's a wonderful idea, but it may need supervision and medical support in some instances. People who go cold turkey often experience very distressing symptoms, and not everyone is capable of dealing with them without the support of a friend or counselor, and the assistance of tranquilizers.
  14. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

That's a great point - camping is fun and rehab is serious. Thanks for helping me find the words. That does not mean that camping can;t be part of a program.
  15. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

It could work for some people. I mean, you wouldn't exactly have access to whatever you're addicted to, although it's true that you might not be tackling the underlying issues. You can't just go into the woods for a few weeks and come back like the addiction is completely gone. You need to take that trip and focus upon facing whatever leads you to embrace your addictions. Otherwise, you really are just putting yourself in a position where you don't have access without actually fighting the underlying causes.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think this will only work if there is a definite plan or procedures to be done in the camping or the person is really determined to change. I agree that it could be a good idea since it is for free and might work depends on various factors.
  17. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

This really depends on the person. If the person is an experienced camper with many years of travel, then make sure the person has a means of communication at all times, and that his/her loved ones know where he/she is going. Also, it's not as low cost as it seems, considering the renting of campgrounds, food, supplies, etc.

I've heard good things about it, such as camping helping restore the natural sleep cycle. I've never heard of this treatment, but whatever floats your boat!
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've heard of this method from a documentary that I watched about a man who was abusing alcohol and found peace living in the woods with bears. The problem is that he substituted his obsession for alcohol for bears so eventually he went too far again and got eaten by a grizzly. I do think it's a good idea, but for long term solutions I think it's still best to supplement methods like these with a bit of psychiatric analysis so the person could get to the core of the problem instead of just treating the symptoms which usually just leads to substitutions.
    Christian likes this.
  19. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Although I have never heard of such rehabilitation method, I also heard of a 'very damaged' man find peace by isolating himself from the city and living in the mountains for two years. This is like 'self-reflecting' which was used by philosophers and hermetic of the old ages. I would say this is a good idea.
  20. bigbrain50

bigbrain50 Member

Woow Camping? talk about alternative medicine, although I can see how it would work because, nature and fresh air is always good for the recovery of the body, it can also have a calming effect on the mind and provides distraction from the craving of the substance, also you're miles away from substance so because you can't get your hands on it, you'll eventually not want it anymore. Its a good idea, camping.