An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Camping as a means of free treatment

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by JoshPosh, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

Having no access could work , even if at that moment the underlying issues are not being addressed having no access to what it is you are addicted to long enough to go through physical withdrawal would possibly bring your mind to a clearer , stronger state where you could then work on underlying causes and change of behavior.
  2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

This is a perfect example of a treatment that would work for some and not for others. Camping is a great way to isolate yourself, to really get away from all of life's distractions and focus on really doing some internal work without pressure from others -- on the other hand - some people would not be able to deal with the symptoms of withdrawal in isolation like that - nor would they be able to combat the mental components of addiction without a team of support and maybe even medical intervention.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This is true. Sometimes it's just good to be separated for a while from the world you've grown used to, especially if that environment has contributed a lot to one's demise recently. This way you could just be isolated while you gain back some composure and strength, enough to realize what it is you are really doing.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I like this idea. Being outdoors is the best way for someone to really clear their mind. Hiking and the mountains or anything like this is really very therapeutic. You would probably want the much needed detox supplies. Cleanse the body, vitamins, and lots of fluids. It could work if you did it long enough. The best thing to add would be to stay in silence. This changes your mindset and makes you do a 360. The longer you stay in silence the better. It is amazing. You will learn new habits from this simple exercise.
    A detox camping retreat. I'd like to own a camp like this. I would be on retreat all the time. The silent section, the juicing section, the vegetating section, and so forth. Camp grounds don't cost that much. Its even less to stay in the woods. Lol, I get the whole idea though. If you set it up right you take away the temptation by forcing it upon yourself.
  5. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I think that it would be a good alternative if someone is willing 100% to get over the addiction. Someone can still pack their drug of choice to use when they set camp. Sometimes professional help is required to get over an addiction. Going to a facility puts the seriousness of the issue to be clean to get out of there.
  6. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think it may help if the problem isn't really that serious. Sometimes, all you really need is to just change your environment up a little bit. If the problem is a bit more extreme it may take a lot more than just going on a camping trip to help.
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Trying something that goes out of the usual is really helpful, but be careful to come back where you came from, haha.
    I've tried it before, and can personally say it will undoubtedly help you exteriorize your negative emotion toward people/situations or whatever you experience. You have my seal of approval. :)
    P.S. : I would advise you to bring someone with you, too.
  8. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I think you're on to something here. You're right, why not go camping. It is possible specially if you're supportive friends and family - making the whole treatment very enjoyable.
  9. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Camping as an alternative to rehab could be good if your addiction or drinking hasn't reached a point where medical detox or supervision would be needed. I think being in nature is one of the best things one can do to get back in touch with what matters most in life. The fresh air and calm surroundings allow the mind to be at ease and opens the door to a spiritual perspective that all recovering addicts need in order to come around from addiction and or alcoholism. The only issues that camping doesn't address that I can see, and that are prevalent in most all addicts and alcoholics is that there are underlying causes and conditions that need to be addressed. The one fear I have is that once someone returns from the serene surroundings of wherever they're camping at, and life begins again, that one most likely still has these problematic areas of their life and without developing certain coping skills may fall back into familiar bad behaviors in order to deal with the uncomfortability of these unresolved issues.
  10. Kat Blaire

Kat Blaire Member

I've never tried camping as a means of treatment, but I've camped a few years ago. I don't think this will work for a lot of people though. It will work for those who are interested in being a little adventurous and being isolated from all the commotion in the cities. But I don't recommend camping alone though. I think it would be best to bring some people that you trust and are comfortable with. If you're going for isolation techniques, then I suggest trying something that doesn't require actually living in the mountains for a few days. There are much safer and more accessible ways to be isolated, without the hassle and risk of camping.
  11. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think it sounds like a great concept to do. I do not think anyone would want to pay for rehab. This is especially true if it is rehab that is not covered under medical health insurance. I am happy with the sounds of camping as a means of therapy. I think it might help me get back into the feeling of nature.
  12. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

Camping is a great stress reliever. However, for some people it can add in additional stress and sometimes it is going to be rather difficult for people to avoid their habit as they are going to find some of their addictive items can be brought with them while camping.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It could be a good idea but what happens when you come back to reality? The thing is, you probably couldn't score any drugs in the wild (unless you knew what plants/mushrooms to look for!) so you'd certainly detox but I'm not sure that it would address the habitual behaviours and the reasons behind the drug taking. It could certainly work if you had some kind of follow-up after the initial detox but cold turkey on it's own doesn't always work.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Not being my intention undergo rehab at a costly clinic and not even approach to a support group when I started my road to recovery, I found myself going solo in a series of alternatives that I though could work, and they worked!

Due to this, I'm convinced that whatever works for you to get yourself clean and sober, it's okay. You may herbal teas rather than receive a medical treatment, or go into nature to find the peace of mind an inner lost balance that you need to confront addiction or any problem you would be struggling with.

If you try and works, great! But if it fails, you would not live with the uncertainty to ask yourself "what if..." which might be as destructive as the addiction by itself.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm not sure camping would do it for most people... after all isolation has never been proved to be a god thing when you are trying to recover. If you ask me... it might actually backfire, but of course it all depends on what kind of addiction you are dealing with as well. If we are talking bout an heroine addiction then there is no way this could work.
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I love camping. There is a forest anigh my home, and I dug up a little cave in a mount wherein I used to spend time in solitude, listening to music, writing and pondering upon stuff. It was very soothing, and I plan on going there more often. Unfortunately, the winter is nigh and I may end up frostbitten. The best option is to wait for spring.
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think that's a great idea. A way to get away from all the things of the world and clear your mind.
  18. Steph722

Steph722 Member

There were times during my fathers addiction where I fantasized about "kidnapping" him. I wanted to remove him from the temptation and from the ability to get the drugs. My husband and I would talk about bringing him to our house and making him eat kale salads and chia seed cookies - he was such an unhealthy guy, and we thought we could "heal" him. Looking back, I know that was wishful thinking, and a few salads and some detox would not change years of depression and substance abuse. While camping is certainly therapeutic, I think its a tall order to expect lasting results.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I enjoy camping and find it relaxing, although I haven't done it for years truthfully. I just don't have anyone to go with, nor do I want to do tent camping really now. I think I should be sleeping in a pop up at least lol. But yeah sitting in the great outdoors and getting away from modern life is relaxing.
  20. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

I think it would work really well actually.