An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can a drug test be wrong?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by dshardpolerwas, Jul 1, 2015.

1. We bought a home drug test, the 40 dollar one at walgreens. It test for like 10 different things i guess. The results came up positive for marajuna and methadone. The user at this point claims, marajuna was positive from second hand smoke he was around a week ago, and the methadone was positive from heart burn medications he takes.

obvioulsy i don't believe any of that, but just to get your opinions, am i right to not believe it? Could second hand smoke from a week ago really cause it to be positive?
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I had to do a drug test once, and was told by the nurse that over the counter drugs could produce a false reading. I however am like you this sounds as if this person is probably covering up or at trying too. I'm sure there is more to the story then a contact high, and heartburn.
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am just along to welcome you to the forum. I really have no personal story to tell here in connection with drug tests . Still I have read of tests being inaccurate. As for second hand smoke that's another subject . While I know second hand smoke can be potentially dangerous, I don't know what to make of this particular case. Whatever happens I hope you are able to get to the bottom of the story and you are being told the true story.
  4. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Any drug test can be wrong and I obviously cannot speak to the accuracy of a Walgreens drug test. However, the information you presented suggests that it is more likely the claim of second hand smoke and heart burn meds that is wrong. Second hand smoke from marijuana can show up in a drug panel but that's only under extremely severe smoking conditions (i.e., you're in a car with friends who are smoking with the windows closed for several hours) and even then, it would be unlikely to produce THC-COOH levels much greater than the detection threshold (50 ng/mL). Even if it did, that value would be below detection a week later in most cases. Heart burn medications do not contain methadone or anything like it.
  5. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

You know, it's funny... there was a question I saw just a little bit ago about what excuses to use if a drug test came back positive for Methadone and Marijuana and I think those were the answers suggested.

I'm just kidding. I doubt 2nd hand smoke would built up enough concentration to trigger a positive on a drug test unless the smoke was being blown directly in the person's face. The heart burn medication is very easy to verify. Just ask the doctor if there is Methadone in it. I would be very surprised if there was, but at least his brain isn't so fried that he can't come up with a plausible excuse.
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Every testing facility will claim it is impossible to test pos from second hand marijuana smoke because the cut off level of the test is 50ng/ml. They have studies that show most people will not test higher than that from passive exposure only.

HOWEVER..... it IS possible. If you got a good enough whiff of it, or if the area was not ventalated.

I dont really care enough about marijuana use to hold it against them anyways, unless I had to by law.

I dont know of *any* heartburn medication that would cause a false positive for methadone. If this is true, he should be able to give you the name of the medication, and you will be able to find some sort of documentation online that verifies that can happen.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I would presume that any drug test could be wrong, as the people above me have also testified to. But to me the story that you're being told sounds VERY inconsistent. For two things to show up positive like that, and basing it on second hand smoke from a week prior and also other medication sounds odd...I would believe the medication more so than the second hand smoke, but sometimes when you smell a rat in terms of lies it's often because it's true - at least in my experience.
  8. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

It is possible (although I don't know of any heartburn medication that would show up as methadone). However, in this particular situation it sounds extremely unlikely.
  9. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I do know that marijuana stays in the body for days after smoking it, but I am not sure how many days. I really don't know about the other.
  10. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I don't know anything about heartburn meds showing up on a test as meth, I can say no test is 100%.

Drug test, DNA tests, Pregnancy tests, etc. They all have a margin of error.

A drug test can EASILY be failed by someone that eats poppy seed bagels all the time because of the opium content of the poppy seeds.

So you have to take it that there are variables that can make any test wrong or at the very least inconclusive.
  11. CleoFuller

CleoFuller Member

Of course the result will be positive. I have been smoking weed for 5 years and last year my new employer asked me for the test on drugs. I were shocked and afraid of it, but thanks God that exists synthetic urine for a drug test. However, it is important to find really good quality. My friend, who have already bought it, recommended me where I can find more info on it and to select a really good one. I even couldn't predict that there are such a lot of brands
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  12. Sebasty1987

Sebasty1987 Member

Think that it could be possible even after 1 month
  13. landmarkboston1

landmarkboston1 Active Contributor

In some cases, a drug test may report the presence of illicit drugs, although none were taken