An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can a person become addicted to medications prescribed by a doctor?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Lanny, Oct 30, 2014.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

It is really possible to get addicted to prescription drugs, even over the counter drugs. It is because they produce a certain feeling of dependency on people taking them for long periods of time. One may not even know he/she is already addicted because he/she might think that he/she is just treating a certain symptom in his/her body but the reality is that he/she is already becoming dependent and eventually becoming addicted to the certain drug.
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

It happens when a disease is persistent to medication. Without knowing, many tend to believe that the same medication has answer to their diseases thereby getting themselves continuing taking the same medicine. In that case one needs advice from the doctor.
  3. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

People become addicted to medication for the same reason anyone becomes addicted to anything, mostly because of how it makes them feel.
  4. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Some medications ( namely narcotics or controlled substances) can be addicted. I think a good doctor will weigh the the benefits of the medication vs an addiction. I guess what I mean is fentonyl lollipops are very addictive but when someone is in constant, excruciating pain from cancer, its worth possible addiction. If someone breaks their toe its better to allow them to feel a little bit of pain rather than risk an addiction.