An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can acid trips have permanent consequences?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Hiraeth, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

My boyfriend has tripped on LSD a couple of times over the past seven eight years without too much of a lasting consequence. However, a friend of mine suffered severe behavioral/brain damage recently after a single acid trip. He still states that he can see certain things move which to us appear very stationary. He even sees different colors where there's clearly only one. My boyfriend enters into strange complicated debates about reality and human capacity every time I try to tell him that LSD might damage his normal senses.

What exactly does LSD do to the body? Does it actually cause neural or cellular alterations?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You know, many years ago I had a girlfriend who would take loads of LSD - it wasn't just a couple of times over a few years, it was a lot more than that. She ended up having to see a psychiatrist because she kept seeing things, like patterns and colours and the walls moving and suchlike and she was eventually put on all sorts of medications. I don't think any of those medications actually helped her. She started believing that she was in a coven of witches and started going to see psychics and that kind of thing and would believe everything and anything they told her. In the end, she left me because she believed her dead grandmother had told a psychic that I wasn't the right man for her!
  3. Hiraeth

Whoa! That is some crazy story. Well my boyfriend has grown more and more spiritual over the past few months, talks about Buddha and the nothingness of life and the universe a lot. Reading about your experience makes me wonder if he is slowly moving down the same path. Then again he only takes it once in a very long while, when he gets all psyched about having an "intense experience".. Maybe I should tell him about your ex and whatever happened to her. This is more than frightening!
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Maybe you should. All it takes is one bad trip and that can change someone forever. Some people are never quite the same again after their first trip, it just depends on how it affects that particular person. Additionally, all it takes is one badly made batch of LSD. As far as I am aware, it can cause permanent changes to thinking patterns and can also cause damage to the spleen. I have also heard of people ending up in psychiatric hospitals because of LSD.
  5. Hiraeth

I have expressed my fears to him time and again but he simply laughs them off, calling me a worrying nanny. In fact, lately he's been suggesting that I take a trip with him and see for myself how 'harmless' and life altering the experience is. While he will never force me to do anything against my wish, I'm really worried about him. I really love him, and it would kill me to see him flip and suffer, as much as it would kill me to walk away and leave him.
  6. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I believe that LSD and other psycoactive drugs can alter brain chemistry. I've had friends who took LSD and suffered flashbacks and panic attacks for years afterward. It kind of stands to reason. These are some powerful drugs!
  7. Hiraeth

Apparently my boyfriend believes he is into some form of counterculture system, rejecting the modes of society and its corrupting, constricting ways. While I truly appreciate and respect his views I can't accept that LSD must play a progressive roll in inculcating this mindset. The fact that he speaks so lucidly and rationally shuts me up every time I try to break it to him that this will cost him when he least expects it.

He argues that LSD is touted as being dangerous simply because it opens up human minds to questioning and rejecting all that is wrong with society and culture. He is of an extremely strong and sound mind, so it's hard to debate with a person like this. Is their any long term effects of LSD? Keeping aside the immediately flip switch that may or may not take place post trip, id there any other health implication that I should know about?
  8. hc201bp2b

hc201bp2b Member

LSD was used a lot in the 1960s by Americans to tune out what was going on in the rest of the world. With the assassination of a president and things heating up in Vietnam and with the Civil Right's Movement--many young people, students and portions of those who were considered counterculture-progressives, used LSD as a way to escape from the ruins that they thought were consuming American politics and the way those in power governed.
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have seen, some people I know that have used it and saw things like people or things that weren't over there and also the person would think they are right and not wrong at all. I think that, this can cause the mind to see things or refuse to come out of the dream world that the mind creates and also can be sad to see this happen and the person may decide to try and get away from this as well. I also, think that it is something that should not be used as the brain and body have a reaction to it and one which is going to ruin the realtionships they have in the process.
  10. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

It all depends on a persons chemistry. Sadly not all of us understand what that means very well and that's were the disasters begin. I've had friends take acid and one bad trip was enough to send one to a nut house. The problem here is the difficulty some people have telling whats real from whats not and this type of panic will set off something mean in the brain. The best thing is to avoid it completely.
  11. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

I think it can have permanent effects on the way you think and look at the world, but that is perspective and not physical. It is not common or likely to have the feared perma-trip. I think that in the very rare cases of this, these people were already predisposed to psychosis of some sort or they just weren't taking good or even real L. It is well known that it does not have lasting effects and your vision and thoughts return to normal after the drug has worn off.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think any substance that alters the chemicals of the brain, which is what LSD does, can definitely have long term effects later on in life.

Of course this will depend on how many times you use it but in some people, even just once or twice can have a negative effect.
  13. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I tripped acid a lot back in the day. It changed me and my views on a lot of things. It changed me as a person, really. But there was absolutely no physical side effects. I still see tracers once in a while, and the lights play tricks on me.
    But there's no brain damage or anything like that.

If I'm not mistaken, it speeds up your brain activity and that causes hallucinations. Like I said, if I'm not mistaken.
  14. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Permanent consequences? Unless you exaggerate waaay too much, yes, there are. But oftentimes, no. Long-term ones? Absolutely. Like someone said here, you can have panic attacks which last for years, because they get so impregnated in your brain that they don't get out of it so easily, unless attending some professional therapy courses.
  15. kana_marie

Back when I tripped a lot I saw it bring a lot of crazy out of people. But more than that I saw it bring something else out in people. For the short duration of the trip they became gay. One guy tackled a friend of mine and tried to stick his tongue down his throat. Then a guy told his older brother that they were both gay and they should just do it already. I don't honestly believe they figured out they were gay. If you've ever tripped then you know how the smallest thing can set you off.
    A lot of the "crazy people" were a little off to begin with, like you said. But then, afterwards, they blame LSD for them being weird. They don't realize they were exactly the same way before. They just didnt know it.
  16. kana_marie

Oh wait! I forgot one guy. He blames LSD for how screwed up he is, and I can't say he doesn't have a good argument he goes by the name Purple Bear, because of something that happened at a dead show. He had a sheet of a I'd in the pants pocket when the driver fell asleep and drive through a horse fence. One board went through his neck, and one into his thigh and out his butt cheek. The entire sheet was absorbed by his blood. When he got to the hospital he coughed and that was enough to pop the vein. And then on top of ALL that they put him something insanely strong for the pain

He's a little more off now than before the acid
  17. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

It sounds like his intellectualism is making a fool out of him. Our minds are perfect as they are and we do not require any drugs to open them up and bring about any form of deep thinking. I am sorry you have to deal with this, but I hope you manage to get through to him soon. I had a cousin who tripped on LSD and died at the age of 30. If he does not respond, there may come a day when you have to leave. LSD is different with everyone and there are always long lasting affects.