An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can Addiction Be Fully Cured?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There is lots of wrong information on the net. Yesterday I saw a news article about how someone was cured of an addiction. While I believe there are many addicts who successfully beat addictions, that isn't being cured. Once you use a substance dependency is permanent. Should you attempt to use the drug again then you, most obviously, will find yourself addicted to that drug once again.

What do you think? Can addiction be fully cured as some people claim?
  2. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

It really depends of what addiction are we talking about. Binge eating? Then definitely, because you need food to survive, but you don't need that much food either. But when it comes to alcohol, drugs and so on, most addicts who don't stay away from them will likely start using again. The thing is most of them will say the same thing: "A smoke won't do no harm. A single drink won't do no harm. I'm better than that", but then, a single drink becomes 2 drink, and 2 drinks become four and then... BANG, they're addicted again.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I will always be fighting my addiction, but it definitely gets easier by the day. I don't think I will always have the urge, but it'll always be something I think about in the back of my mind. It's hard to leave behind something that clearly made you feel good. I can't see it ever being "fully" cured.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It really depends. Some ex-addicts would still experience triggers, and find themselves struggling with temptations. But there are also some addicts who can never be tempted to use that particular drug/substance again, thus, they can be considered as fully cured.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot depends on the individual, but the way I see it is that an addiction will always be a weakness in a person, and while the addiction can be beaten, it can never be fully cured.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am not sure that it can be completely cured. I think you life with it constantly. Even though you have control of it there is always that possibility that you could take up your old habits if you left you guard down. It is a weakness. Most people I have talked to who have gotten clean many years ago say they still have those triggers that they have to deal with. They still fight it even though they are in control and feel they will never go back to it.
  7. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

An addict is never fully cured in my opinion and I think it's important that we keep seeing ourselves as recovering addicts, that we keep looking over our shoulder in order to avoid relapse.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think an addict whether they are actively pursuing their substance of choice or not is always an addict. I think it is foolish that you are ever going to be able to handle your substance of choice. Now, a food addict may learn to eat healthily, but they should know that certain foods may be too hot to handle at least until they get their addiction under control.
  9. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Addiction is a disease, fatal, incurable, and progressive in nature. Once you have the disease you will always have it. The damaging effects can be stopped by quitting the behaviour. Some people think if they can quit for a while they can go back to using or whatever kind of behaviour they were doing it and it will be better. This is not true. The disease never quits, it centers in the mind. The behaviour is just the expression of it. Contrary to popular beliefs an addiction is Not a moral weakness. It is a disease with mental as well as physical features. All of this info. i have stated here comes from the Big Book- Alcoholics Anonymous. It is backed by scientific studies. There is No Known cure for Addiction. The disease can only be arrested by stopping the behaviour.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

"Can addiction be fully cured?" Why not? Where there is a will there is a way. I am pretty certain that if someone believes that addiction cannot be cured than it is true for them The mind is the most powerful thing we have. If someone sets their mind to it and fully detoxes they'll be cured of it. It all depends upon how you look at it. Subscribe to whatever you want and make your own choice. Its permanent only if you want it to be.
    The guy says you don't need that much food. Actually restricting calories would make someone prone to addiction because they are looking for a replacement. It would make you more prone to stress and sickness too. Hanging out with the wrong people can do that too.
    There are reasons for people's weaknesses. You can totally see it with people who hang out with the wrong people. Don't take care of themselves or eat right. No self control.
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not an expert about this but I think that it depends on the person and the type of addiction, there are a lot of people that I know who claim to be fully recovered and some of them don't think that there is actually a cure for it. But I personally think that is possible, even if it's always going to be kind of there.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I say that it's a case to case basis. Some people have an addictive personality while some aren't that susceptible to get addicted. So I think being cured is possible as long as there is an effort on the person's part to recover. I have heard former cigarette users finding the taste of nicotine "icky" after they have quit, so being cured is possible.
  13. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Many may not agree, but I do believe it can. I am talking from my own experience. It all depends on the individual, circumstances and drug of choice. I do believe that addiction can be cured, but it is going to take a mind change and a realization for the individual involved. This may take years.
  14. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I do believe it can be fully cured. It takes work of course, but yes if a person is serious about it. It is totally possible to live out the rest of ones life with addiction. I am so happy I made the choice to get clean, and stay that way. It wasn't easy, but looking back I know I'd probably either be dead or close to it had I continued the way I was going.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I am not sure that an addict can ever be completely cured. Having gained a dependence on a substance, one will most likely have to battle temptation for most of the rest of their lives. Temptation may not occur every day, however, it can turn up after years of being clean and/or sober. I think overcoming addiction is a fight one takes for the rest of their life, but it is a fight worth fighting and it is possible to win.
    pstrong1969 likes this.
  16. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Being cured means you no longer have the disease of addiction. There is no scientifical proof of a cure for drug addiction or any addiction for that matter. If you were cured that would mean you could return to your old behaviour and not have the compulsive need to continue to use. Just because a person can stop using or stop a behavior doesnt mean he is cured.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I wouldn't say cured, no. Speaking from experience I would use the term "successfully managed". Like any sort of disease, if you're not taking care of yourself properly and watching for warning signs then it could spiral out of control again...so I think yes, successfully managing it is good. Curing it might be next to impossible. Just my two cents, though! :)
  18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Agree with you @kassie1234, however I believe that addiction is a very personal thing and depends on the person, the substance abused and other factors, including physical, mental and even spiritual makeup, addiction could be fully cured, but just for some.

And mainly cure is the result of good post-addiction management.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

This makes a lot of sense and until now I never really looked at it this way. I think it might be true to say that it can be properly managed or controlled as with so many other conditions.
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think that it can be completely cured, though it's a long and tiring process that can take ages. Even after you recovered you're still gonna have issues being near those specific substances, so I guess people never really get sober 100%. They just learn to ignore the craving feelings.