An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can addictions be erased totally from today's society?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by FuZyOn, May 26, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I'm talking about all the addictions. Would it be possible to make people not feel the need to be addicted to a certain substance/lifestyle etc.
    I'm positive that it would be very hard to do something like this on a large scale.
  2. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Absolutely not. Virtually anything mankind has attempted in terms of establishing universal equality or completely eradicating a certain movement or notion has been doomed to failure. Take communism for example. That didn't go too well now, did it? We're just far too different in order to pander to the lowest common denominator. That is why we'll never be able to shake off addiction. There'll always be renegades, those who'll do the opposite of what's conventional just for the thrill of it. They'll always be a part of the community whether we like it or not.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Being addicted to something usually is a psychological predisposition, since some people aren't prone to being addicted in general, like me for example. So I also agree that making people not addicted to something is not possible at all, unless there's a drug that can be invented to curb or stop addictions in the future.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Unfortunately I don't think it's that simple to just erase something out of society, and especially not something like an addiction.

For one thing, how would we go about tackling the people that are all ready addicted, and secondly, how would you stop people becoming addicted in the first place?
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

That would be impossible, if not close to impossible. The brain is wired to seek pleasure/rewards. If something is good or feels good, no matter what it is or whether it's harmful to be the body in some way or not, the brain will want more of it. And unless that psychological dependence is broken, one gets to be an addict.

So addiction I believe isn't something that can be erased.
  6. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Erase it fully is something impossible I agree, but we can leave it in a distant past, not in the way we have forgot about it, but in a way we can remember and don't want to go back to that live style.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I think it would take something on the level of a mass brainwashing for this to be remotely possible. And there are so many factors that go into why a person becomes addicted, even that wouldn’t be guaranteed to work. It’s something that I think will always have to be conquered on an individual basis.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Sadly, I don't think that would ever happen. I am not being pessimistic, I am just being realistic. People are just humans. We crave different things, we make mistakes, and we ruin things. No one is perfect.