An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can anyone suggest a way to get rid of coffee addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Thisectoulto, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Thisectoulto

Thisectoulto Member

Hi. I’m addicted to coffee. I drink 6-7 coffees a day. I cannot resist it. I tried to reduce it but couldn’t stop it. I had coffee stains and had to undergo zoom teeth whitening procedure ( http://www.sierracentre.com/services/cosmetic-services/zoom-teeth-whitening/ ) in our family dentistry clinic in Calgary. And my dentist recommended reducing the intake of coffee. Even I cannot afford teeth whitening every now and then. Can anyone suggest a way to get rid of this habit?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Wow. 6 to 7 cups is just too much. If it's decaf, that amount is okay. But if you are talking about regular coffee - black coffee, cappuccino, americano, espresso, what have you - that's already way too much caffeine for your nerves to handle. My suggestion would be to reduce your consumption to just 1 cup or 2 cups a day. Go cold turkey style if you can handle the sudden drop in consumption. Chew on something or replace coffee with juice or herbal tea instead. Set a goal for yourself and be motivated. You won't fail if you just set yourself to the task. Good luck!
  3. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

That is just a bit excessive but you're not without hope. You can kick this habit with some discipline and maybe substitution with green tea. Make sure to have plenty of healthy foods around as well. Hot chocolate is another way you can substitute and I would also suggest weaning yourself off gradually. Good luck to you.
  4. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I really like coffee too. My doctor told me that 2 to 3 cups is ok. I use to drink 4. I was wondering is it decaf or not. If it's not then you may want to replace it with either decaf or an organic brand of coffee. I have tried organic brands before and they are not bad. It's not Starbucks, but it's ok. Do you like tea? I was thinking maybe replacing it with some cups of tea. How is your diet? I know when I would not eat well, I would be tired and I needed to coffee to give me a boost. Also it only takes about 3 weeks to break a habit. Yes it is very hard in the beginning, but if you can hang in there you should be able to rid your body of the crave.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Coffee/caffeine is actually one of the easiest things to get off of, you just have to be really determined you are going to do it. Number one problem you are going to face is probably going to be headaches, but that is easily remedied with something like Advil, which to my knowledge, is not addictive or dangerous to healthy people if used as the label indicates.

If you can taper off your coffee consumption, say reduce a cup every two days, that will make it easier, but you can most likely fully withdraw from caffeine in about a week even if you go cold turkey. I've never drank more than 3-4 cups a day, but I have quit cold turkey several times due to being too broke to justify spending money on another bag of beans at the time. You can do it, just make sure you drink lots of water too so you stay well hydrated.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I agree that tapering off is the way to go. I've never been a coffee drinker, but I was addicted to Diet Coke for a long time. When I finally decided to quit I gradually reduced my intake over the period of about a month. It worked really well. Good luck!
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hmmm... The best way to deal with a coffee addiction is to hydrate with water and nothing else. Stop purchasing the coffee, this is a good way to start quitting it. If you don't have it at your house, then you won't be able to drink it. This worked for me because back then I was also addicted to coffee, drinking it 3-4 times a day.

If you can, try lowering your consumption gradually until you can completely quit it. Maybe try 6 cups today and for the whole week. Then next week, try 5 cups only... Until gradually, you get to a more accepted number of cups, 2-3.

You really don't need to quit drinking it completely. You just need to lower your intake since it's excessive. Good luck!
  8. sclupto

sclupto Member

Try keeping track of how much coffee you are drinking. Get a little journal and write down every cup of coffee you drink, and how much it cost you. Being able to tangibly visualize how much you are drinking will really put it into perspective what a problem this is for you.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I used to be the same but I no longer drink coffee that often. I did it by first having one coffee in the morning, then instead of having a second coffee, have tea instead. Basically, change one or two of your coffees each day for tea instead until you get used to it. One cup of tea has 50% the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee. Once you're okay with it, have three teas where you would usually have three coffees until you get accustomed to it and then keep cutting down and switching to tea instead. Although tea still contains caffeine, it is nowhere near as addictive to coffee and it's also much healthier. Once you're drinking only tea, you can then work on cutting down on the amount you have.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I am an advocate of coffee because I know in general it does good things for the body and is a major anti oxidant. I have mentioned it on here before, but both of my grandparents drank several cups per day, and both lived to be in their 90's. I kind of think that it partly was due to the minerals in the water though. They had very hard water..and you could taste the minerals in it when you drank it. However, if you want to stop just gradually cut back.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

They said that coffee had antioxidant properties that is good for health. But even though you should drink coffee in moderation only. A cup or two a day is just right but more than that is already bad for health. Actually I am not a coffee drinker but I learned of this thing from the personal doctor of my mother. Drinking 6 to 7 cups of coffee a day is over consumption already but you can lower your intake gradually because your body had been already used to that until you finally get rid of your habit. All the best of luck to you!
  12. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

If you drink good quality coffee and you don't drink like 5 cups a day but maybe two you really do not need to quit anything because it is good for you. As I said not too much because water is not good if you drink too much. If you really want to quit for some reason you have to take it slow because the headaches will be terrible. I don't want to quit but I can manage myself without coffee.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I would say just ween yourself off of it. Drink less and less coffee everyday. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can go without it or at least not drink so much of it. You could try green tea it has less caffeine and is more healthy.
  14. Dilof

Dilof Member

I agree with drinking less and less coffee every day. I still drink tea a fair bit but have incorporated more and more water in to my diet. I had an addiction to soft drinks before and now I barely drink them, and much prefer the taste of water. Just slow and gradual steps and if you're craving coffee try an alternative like water or a caffeine-free soft drink.
  15. doxie

doxie Member

Definitely taper off. I've tried quitting cold turkey & failed! You will get the most awful headache & be very irritable & miserable. Replacing a cup of coffee with something like black or green tea would be helpful.
  16. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I used to drink like 5 cups of coffee a day. As much as I like to drink coffee, it cannot be healthy for you unless it is green coffee then drink away haha! I would advise trying some tea. If they even make coffee flavored tea maybe that would work haha!
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Will power :/ Sadly it's easier to say than to do :( But it's the only way, I mean, the same principle can be applied to nicotine addiction and even alcoholism. Going cold turkey is the way to go, reducing one's intake of things doesn't always cut it. It simply doesn't work. Maybe you could find another drink to replace coffee with?
  18. remnant

remnant Community Champion

It is not as hard as it seems to recover from coffee addiction. Try to monitor when cravings strike. When they do, involve yourself in an absorbing or distractive activity so that they diffuse. Another potent method is to drink copious amounts of water before taking coffee. This creates a full feeling and you are only likely to drink a little coffee. We are in the same boat. I have been struggling with addiction to tea. Good luck.
  19. madetofly

madetofly Member

What? 6-7 cups of coffee a day sounds really strange man.Well! I can drink only 2-3 cups a day and that's also sometimes otherwise 1-2 cup is enough for me. But 6-7 cups is really a noticing thing man.
    But to quit this addiction you have to take steps like change your diet plans or don't go to the cafes mainly famous for their coffees. Take another drink instead of coffee.
    But you have to do it yourself at any cost if you really want to get out of this.
    All the best and Good luck.;);)