An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can anyone tell me they have made it to the other side (sobriety) and life is better?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Snenika, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Snenika

Snenika Member

I want to quit alcohol so bad but it seems like the only time I am happy is when I'm drinking. The only time I have self esteem, confidence, free from anxiety... has anyone gotten to a better place? Is there a better version of me if I quit?
    ForeignDoll21 likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Snenika... Yes, I can tell you life is better on the other side. I quit drinking a little over 9 years ago and every aspect of my life is better. I am healthier, my relationships are better, and I am richer financially and emotionally. Life without alcohol is wonderful.
    ForeignDoll21 likes this.
  3. ForeignDoll21

ForeignDoll21 Member

Hi sneniki , im new here but iknow how you feel after my father past away after his birthday 12-13-14 i became an alcoholic and i also suffer from anxiety and social anxiety ect.... i thought that it was my only way to feel happy again but in May this year I went through a near death experience because of my heavily drinking all day everyday , that's when I decided enough was enough and quiet it was hard at first it makes u feel like you are being reborn , it's scary and hard but it does get easy try to find something to do to make you happy don't let anyone pressure u to do stuff u don't want to do do it at your own pace

- xoxox ; foreigndoll
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Yyyyyyeeessss!! I have 4 years sober and I never knew I could have a life like this, a sober life is such a beautiful life. I like to think when we get sober we get to retreat back to person we were before our addiction or the person we always wanted to be. When I was drinking I was selfish, self serving, cruel, dishonest and untrustworthy. Someone my ten year old self would be ashamed of. Today and through recovery all that bullshit goes away and we get to be honest, reliable, kind people as we were intended to be. I guarantee ( yes guarantee) if you quit drinking your life will not get worse. It only gets better and better. The beginning is hard sure but so is living a life consumed by your addiction. A sober life is also full of new discoveries, it wasn’t until I was sober that I felt pure joy. A feeling I hadn’t felt since I was a child. Life today is better than I could ever have imagined it could be. Back when I was drinking I thought I was destined to live a life of misery and shame. You have a beautiful life waiting for you, where you can be proud of your actions. Can you imagine that? I sure couldn’t when I was still drinking. I so wish the best for you, the other side or addiction is bliss
  5. Snenika

Snenika Member

I posted this awhile back, and over the past few weeks I have internalized these responses and encouragements. I have been sober since New Year's Eve and I have noticed a big improvement in my life already. Everything you have stated to me thus far, has been true! I just want to thank you all for handing over some support and encouragement.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  6. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

That’s amazing! Weeks turn into months and months into years! Congratulations! I don’t know you but I’m so very proud of you. One day at a time. It gets easier and easier and life just gets better and better I promise!
  7. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Snenika that's wonderful news!! congrats on your sobriety and for making this decision to live life sober... i think life is so much better without alcohol... so many think they are giving up something..... but they are GAINING so much more!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for sharing!