An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can cigarettes be used in a more helpful way?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amin021023, Sep 9, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I've come to realize that I can't or don't have the will power to cut down more and smoke less than 6 cigarettes a day so I was thinking I might get the most out of it...

At what times in a day and in what environment do you think it's best to smoke a few cigarettes?
  2. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Well, yeah, ideally you shouldn't do it at all, but if you can't help it I think smoking privately, outdoors, away from other people, is your best bet. Doing it outside will prevent the smoke from lingering inside a building and harming others, and you'll get the same effect by smoking on your own. No sense harming the lungs of other people with your second-hand smoke. I'd also say try and space out your smoking so you maximize the amount of time between cigs, but depending on your day I guess that's not always possible.
  3. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

To me, if you care about your health, the best thing to do would be to continue to reduce that limit until you are able to give up the habit all together. If you go to almost any doctor and ask what is the number one thing I can do to increase my overall health, the first thing they will say is quit smoking. The problem isn't really the tobacco, it is all of the other chemicals that you get in manufactured cigarettes. I believe the last I heard there are over 4000 chemical compounds in cigarette smoke. They actually put chemicals in them to make the nicotine more addictive than it is naturally. So, I think you are doing great to keep it at six a day, but continue to strive for lower limits until you don't need them anymore, and you will be able to avoid the medical industry much better in your future.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, it's best to smoke cigarettes where you don't influence people. Maybe with some friends who also smoke or in a more reserved place, you wouldn't be bothering anyone. Other than that I don't think smoking can be used in a helpful way.
  5. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I definitely know that feeling that you don't have the will power to quit. It really, truly is possible though! You might feel that way right now, but I would recommend keeping your mind open to the possibility that you will quit eventually. No pressure to force it, but it really could happen.

The way I looked at it was: there was a time when I didn't smoke, and I managed just fine without it. That means that it is entirely possible for me to not smoke. I tried to view smoking as a choice that I was making. I choose everything else that I do each day, so why should smoking be any different? The choice is hard sometimes at first, as the addiction is telling you that you need to - but the truth is that you don't. You were fine before, and you'll be fine again.

To answer your question though, I'm not sure there is a 'best time' but perhaps not just before or after you brush your teeth? To my knowledge your teeth are slightly weakened immediately following being brushed so it is best to wait for 30 minutes.

Also, I'm not a morning person and smoking did help me wake up some mornings!
    amin021023 likes this.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

Cigarettes are never recommended at any time. Even when you are stressed up or during cold seasons. You are suppose to avoid smoking cigarettes completely so that you cannot be addicted to smoking it. So there are no suitable moments that you should smoke.
  7. amin021023

I totally agree with SLTE, smoking outdoors away from people is the best thing, this way you get the most out of your cigarettes and it's really relaxing...
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

It really is hard to break an addiction to cigarettes. My husband has vowed a lot of times that he will stop smoking but really, it didn't happen. Even lessening his consumption is out of the question. Anyway, I guess smoking away from people is the best environment to smoke in. Children are especially vulnerable to the chemicals in a cigarette smoke, so take precaution when they are around. Just make sure that you smoke in smoking areas only to avoid people sniffing the secondhand smoke.

As for the time of the day, I guess schedule it too when there are no people around you so much. Maybe early in the morning when kids are still sleeping or maybe late in the night when they are already asleep. It depends on what you notice in the people around you. So that they will not be affected by your smoking.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's all in the mind @ OP.

There is virtually nothing that can't be done if you make a commitment to do something. You needn't do it all at once. Don't even entertain that thought because any failure will make you believe that you can't do it. Focus instead on taking baby steps.

Fighting an addiction is akin to embarking on a journey. It'll take some time to get to your destination but to get there you first must banish the negative thoughts. If you say you can't or won't start moving, how will you get where you want to go? Instead of telling yourself you can't do it, take your first step forward. You might stumble but get up, keep trying [to move forward]. It will make a huge difference.

“Those who don't jump will never fly.”
    ― Leena Ahmad Almashat
  10. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I concede that there may be some very limited medical use for nicotine, but not when it is delivered in the form of a cigarette. There are to many other dangerous substances included in this delivery method. You will find that most e-cigarette options that are affordable to the public aren't much better. They still deliver an alarming amount of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think it would basically just come down to common sense. Obviously, being in a damp or dusty atmosphere isn't too great for you respiratory health as it is anyway, so smoking cigarettes in such an atmosphere isn't a great idea. My recommendation would be to try to refrain from smoking unless you are outside going for a walk. A walk through the park or the woods where there is plenty of nature is a good idea. You can also practice breathing exercises while you walk to improve your lung health and capacity. I once saw studies which claimed that just two cigarettes per day was good for you. However, nicotine is more poisonous to humans than cyanide so I doubt there's really any medical benefits. It's probably better to just quit completely.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It will really be better if you will be able to cut down and/or totally stop smoking fr your own health. If finding for a smoking place, it should be in a private place where no one is there so that no one will be harmed with the second hand smoke.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

As everyone told you, it would be better if you tried to quit it instead of trying to find some use out of it. But I will tell you that cigarette smoke (and smoke in general) is the best way to keep insects away. I recall being on a music festival and the area was infested with bees, but I had no problems with it as I was a heavy smoker at that time. And besides of this and the fact that it helps you with losing weight, I can't think of other benefits. If you're a loner, the smell could help with keeping people away.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

So sorry to hear you don't think you can quit smoking :( I think my fiance is in the very same situation, at this point I'd be happy if he used e-cigarettes instead, because those are much less harmful than your average cigarette. I'm not saying they are 100% safe, not at all, but if you compare them to a cigarette... well, the difference is huge! A cigarette is a cocktail of pure poison, I wish more people realized about the chemical transformations that take place when they light said cigarette...
  15. Sparkster

Just a couple of more points to add - first of all, if you can indeed cut down to six cigarettes a day (which you can because you have acknowledged it), you will eventually become accustomed to smoking just six per day. Once you get used to smoking just those six, you'll find it easier to cut back by one each day for a week or so and then cut down by another one each day for the next week and so on. Also, thinking that you can't do it or don't have the will power to do it is a self-limiting belief - if the mind can conceive then you can achieve! The mind is the most powerful tool at your disposal - instead of using will power, try using won't power!
    greybird29 likes this.
  16. amin021023

Golden words mate, golden words. you know after numerous efforts to quit but failed, I have a difficult time to stay positive about quitting cigarettes.
    greybird29 likes this.
  17. Sparkster

Persistence is the key. Nobody who was ever successful at anything got there without failing multiple times first. Failure is part of the process and should be seen as an opportunity to learn from the experience(s).
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also struggle to quit so am working my way down gradually. I was on 20 a day and had been for a number of years and then cut down to 10, then it went to 6 and now I smoke about 3 or 4 a day at the most.

Quitting altogether is obviously better for you but cutting down can also help. As for when and wear, I always tend to smoke outside and away from other's if I can help it, as it's my choice to smoke so I think that's only fair.
  19. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

For me, the best thing about smoking was being able to take 5 minutes away from everyone and everything and have a quiet smoke. So maybe make sure that when you choose to smoke, you'll be free from interruptions, so you can get maximum enjoyment from each stick.

It's always better to smoke outside too. Smoking indoors means you end up breathing in your own second hand smoke for a long time after you've finished the cig.
  20. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

In certain environments or situations, the harmful effects of smoking can have a slight benefit. Weight loss and dietary reasons can be made for smoking. I remember an article I read of an obese woman with an eating disorder that started smoking. She frequently ate to get rid of stress and eventually gained a smoking addiction from hanging around smokers.

In the following months, she started dropping pounds because she turned to nicotine instead of food. On the plus side, she was thinner and no longer ate to relieve stress, but on the negative side...well she was smoking. She eventually quit the habit and went back to her eating problem. Her rationale was that being overweight and unhealthy was not as bad as potentially having cancer.

Side note: I'm not trying to give people excuses to start smoking in lieu of other negative habits. I was just providing my insight into the question.