An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can cigarettes be used in a more helpful way?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amin021023, Sep 9, 2015.

1. henry

henry Community Champion

I know many people hate ecigs, but I'm giving it a try right now. I'm trying to gradually cut back until I get to the point of only smoking the electric one. So I'm just smoking the key cigarettes you almost can't live without. For example, the one when I wake up. That one is a must. The ones after meals, and the one before I go to bed. My goal is to substitute those essential ones with the electric one. Let's hope it works.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's exactly how I went about it. Before switching to vapes, I kept a smoking diary. I noted every cigarette I smoked and why I did it. Very few of the cigarettes I smoked were ones I actually craved. Most of them were smoked out of habit. For example, I would light up as soon as I got to the bus stop in the morning. I never thought about whether I actually wanted it or not, it was just a habit.

If you can work on cutting out these habitual cigarettes, you're left with the few you actually crave. You can then work on replacing these with the e-cig or quitting altogether.
    henry likes this.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I don't think that there's an ideal time to smoke a cigarette, they are damaging your health anyway... But sometimes, especially when you're trying to quit you just feel the need to smoke and it's really frustrating... So what I do in situations like that is to smoke half a cigarette, that seems to be enough to keep myself calmed, I know that is not okay to do that, even if it's not a lot, but I'm really trying to stop and personally I think that could be the only moment that it's "okay" for me to smoke.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think the e-cigarettes are suppose to ween you off of the real ones. The e-cigarettes are not as harmful to you as the regular ones. If you can get yourself off the regular ones as soon as possible you should do that. I think maybe the weening process works the best for severe addictions over all. Good luck breaking your addiction.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I personally think 6 sticks per day is already way too much. Don't cut off smoking then and there. Your body might not be able to adjust with the sudden change of lifestyle. For the meantime, try to reduce your consumption from 6 to maybe 3 in a day. Then when you get the hang of it, reduce it again to 2 until you can manage with 1 stick a day. Eventually, it'll be thrice a week, once a week, bi-monthly and so on. Perfect time to smoke perhaps would be before you go to work and/or at the end of the day. Take up other hobbies or busy yourself with work or some other meaningful project to keep your mind off cigarette-smoking. It will be to your and your lungs' benefit if you cut back on smoking.