An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can dogs get second hand smoke damages?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by hurrywithpants, Jun 29, 2015.

1. I'm asking because I have my dog and my aunt is visiting. She's a NOTORIOUS smoker and I don't want my dog potentially suffering from it
    Davers likes this.
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Inhaling cigarette smoke is very dangerous to animals. Not only do they breathe it in, they also get it on their fur. When they groom, they ingest some of the toxins. There have been several studies suggesting second hand smoke may be linked to lymphoma in cats. Also, animals that live in houses with smokers are more likely to develop lung diseases, such as chronic bronchitis, allergic lung disease, etc. And yes, they can get lung cancer, although I'm not sure that there has been a definite link to this. Some dogs are horribly allergic to cigarette smoke, and can develop severe skin conditions, such as itching, hair loss, and secondary infections.

Just don't smoke around your animal. If you do smoke, and need yet another reason to quit, do it for your pet.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

I once knew a houseful of smokers who had an old dog. The dog developed a large tumor in his chest, about the size of a tennis ball. Whether the tumor was caused by the smoke, or just one of those old dog things, no one knew. Either way, anything that breathes air will be affected by secondhand smoke.
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Second hand smoke can damage any living breathing creature. I see damages a couple of times a week here at the office. And it's even worse for pets because if the smoke seeps past the fur, it marinates at the skin because the fur keeps the fume entrapped longer
  5. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Anything that lives and breathes can be subject to the damage of second hand smoke.

It's just you don't hear about it because nobody pays attention to things like "cat with lung cancer" or thing of the like.
  6. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

All animals suffer from second hand smoke. "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE either quit the smoking or take it elsewhere. Don't throw the butts on the ground, the tobacco is poisonous."

That is what you need to say to your aunt
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think animals such as dogs can also be affected or got damages from secondhand smoke. It was like inhaling polluting air and everyone who breath are affected of that. Even the plants on too much polluted areas can be visibly seen as damaged.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Second hand smoke will have the same effect on anything that breathes it in, person or animal.

Inhaling smoke into the lungs us going to have a negative effect so I'd be inclined to ask anybody not to smoke inside.

I'm a smoker myself but have never smoked indoors, not even in my own home so I wouldn't expect anybody else to.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Of course, what is bad for us is also bad for our dogs. There are some things that dogs can't and should never be exposed to, like for example second hand smoke, certain foods and a lot human medications. Dogs tend to be more sensitive in this aspect, so I can imagine the distress your dog will go tru. I hope your aunt is not staying too long? Is not cool to visit someone just to have them stand your second hand smoke INSIDE the house. That is just not ok.
  10. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Yes, dogs can certainly suffer ill-effects from smoke, just the same as humans can. Because all of the poisons are still the same, going into their lungs, whether they are human or animals. If you are a smoker, you should always try your best not to do so around your animals, as you could damage their health. It might give you the motivation to cut back on your habit in general, too, which of course is always a good thing to do if you have the chance.
  11. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Yes, definitely. Just like what the others have said, every living thing can suffer from the effects of second hand smoke. I guess if your aunt is visiting, it would be better to avoid having your dog inhale the fumes of her cigarette. Maybe your aunt will understand if you ask her politely to smoke outside your house if you have a backyard or a balcony. I'm sure she would understand if you ask her politely. :)
  12. I am by no means an expert on animals or on tobacco but considering the fact that dogs are way more sensitive than we are (in terms of smelling and hearing and that stuff), I would assume that smoke in general would be harmful for them to inhale. Tobacco smoke on the other hand would probably be more harmful. I remember having a dog a few years back and my mom would smoke around him. He'd sneeze and his eyes would get all red and watery. I think it would be best to stay away from your four-legged friend while smoking. (If you smoke let's quit together! we can do it)
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

That pretty much makes up for the best argument to this question. When I used to smoke, I'd also smoke around my little and cute Shih Tzu dog. I cared about it, but I never really felt the need to go somewhere else when I'd smoke or put the dog in another place to potentially avoid the smoke. I was quite selfish, but fortunately the dog didn't incur any further damage. The fur did smell like rotten thingies then, haha.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It makes sense that it wouldn't be good for the dog. They get sick with some of the same things we do. Doggies don't smoke why should they have to be subjected to second hand smoke?
    They don't like it they usually squint their little eyes and make a face. Mine runs out of the room from candle smoke.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Mammals are affect by the same type of stimuli as we do. So yes they can get complications from smoke just like humans. Dog however are highly resilient. Even more so then humans in my opinion. But they are susceptible to nicotine and second hand smoke as well.
  16. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Oh! I feel like a horrible mommy to my furbabies now! I have not even stopped for a single minute to think about how my smoking effects them! I think about it and am very cautious around my children but do not give a thought to petting my pups with a cigarette in my hand. :(
    My heart is broken right now. My older (meaning older of my two, she's only one) pup seems to get out of breath easier these days. She has been on the covered porch with me a lot when I've been smoking. I can imagine she has inhaled a very good amount of it. Thank you for shedding light to this by posting this thread!
  17. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I definitely think that is has an affect on an animal if you smoke around them. They are a living creative. They breath and take in air the same as we do. I worked in an animal shelter in the past and I have seen first hand the problems that second hand smoke can cause to your pet. Pet just don't seem to think of it for some reason.
  18. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Considering that second hand smoke takes forever to kill people and since dogs have such low life expectancies as it is, I wouldn't worry about it. If your dog sits on the porch next to someone smoking, that won't hurt at all. As long as the dog isn't inside a house where people smoke inside (which would be rather cruel, in my opinion) then I'd not worry.
  19. kariad28

kariad28 Member

I know smoke is bad period and the smoker should get help but most can't help it. My sister has been a smoker since 13 years old she recently went to a electric device but some has said that those things will kill you even faster. I hope one day she will quit all together. Her daughter is so afraid of her dying and I am too!
  20. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I hope the best for your sister. Unfortunately, since they are so new and unregulated with health agencies, we just don't know yet what the effects of the electric cigarettes or vapor devices are going to be yet. I feel like they have to be atleast somewhat better on those around the smoker at the least.