An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can dogs get second hand smoke damages?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by hurrywithpants, Jun 29, 2015.

1. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I'm no expert, but I believe that everything that breaths could be harmed by second-hand-smoke. I thinks even the plants get messed up by cigarette smoke. I remember a friend who smoked weed everyday, and he had a couple of dogs that got just as wasted as he did, when he smoked a joint in his room.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yes, there's a whole host of effects that a dog (or other pets, of course) can experience as a result of passive smoking.

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/press-releases/releases/its-no-smoke-for-pets <--- that link is useful and explains a lot.

We have to remember that pets aren't only a part of our family, but are subjected to the same environmental factors that we as humans are.
  3. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I don't see why it would affect dog unless you blow it into them directly. Here in the Philippines, the biggest animal victim of second hand smoke are roosters. Cockfighters breathe smoke onto their roosters to keep fleas off. But it doesn;t realy matter as much since these chickens will end up dead in the ring anyway.
  4. kariad28

kariad28 Member

Yes I believe they are somewhat better in some cases but she decided to pick the maximum strength and it was higher then then what she was smoking to being with. I will say it is better because she can smoke around other's without harming them but I just hope she stop's all together and thank you so so much for your reply it means a lot to me.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

It can be harmful when you repeatedly smoke near them. I do not think that your dog will be affected for only one day your aunt will be around. You can request her if she can smoke outside your house.
  6. MrMaheu1983

MrMaheu1983 Member

Oh yes, this is a big problem. I had the same situation, me and my wife are smokers and it was kinda difficult to get used to smoke away from the kids and out dog. But we did it, and now it's okay for everybody. In your situation I can advice to talk with your aunt and ask her to avoid her smoking close to your dog. By the way, what kind of breed is your dog? My goldendoodle, for example, always run away from us when we were starting to smoke, we educated him in this way. I know that labradoodles are no so great educated. It depends... Here is a good article with comparation https://petpls.com/
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Davers likes this.
  7. Davers

Davers Community Champion

I have been wondering about this subject as well .

I need to stop smoking for my family & my Kitty Cats as they are family as well .

This thread is an old one but a relevant one , cause this has been on my mind .