An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can Hypnotism help with Addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by darkrebelchild, Apr 12, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I know hypnotism has been used for some medical cases particularly for treatment of insomnia. But do you all think it could help with addiction treatment as well?

What are your thoughts?
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Yes! Of course, I don't know anything about it personally. But, I do know that most addiction is psychological and hypnotism is physiological... So! Why not? Of say anyone who believes hypnotherapy works should certainly give it a try!
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

In certain quarters it might work but I do not know how many people would actually pursue hypnotism as a recovery option. I have not tried it myself and statistics concerning hypnosis' curative effects are few and far between. You cannot close your doors because the possibilities are endless. If it helps then it helps.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I never heard this. My ex husband once tried hypnotism to help him stop smoking. He didn't quit, but it may have helped him cut back a bit. I tried hypnotism for weight loss one time, however, I am not hypontizable I don't think, at least I never have been to my knowledge.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I have no experience with hypnotism so I really can't say much about it. But I guess whatever works, right? I guess when it comes to recovery, it doesn't hurt to try anything that will be able to help the person.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My friend once used hypnotism to quit smoking. She never had a cigarette after that day and that would be close to 20 years ago. She was a heavy smoker and she never even tried to quit smoking. She agreed to go with a friend even though she didn't really think she would quit. It worked for her.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've heard of people trying this before. It may work if a person is convinced they don't need something. The mind is very powerful. Anything challenging is really mind over matter. I don't think they have tried this in recovery programs yet.
  8. Jani_pikki

Jani_pikki Member

It helped me tons!

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder more ten ago and my parents send me to a Psychologist that also specialized in hypnosis, that's when I first tried it and it really helped me cope much better.

Last year I went back, he treated me for my addiction and my chronic pain aswell and again I had a very good experience, it helped me cope and I was less frustrated ans my urges to use became less.

With some people it takes a while and others just needs 3 or 4 sessions.

It's worth trying
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I have been transcribing some audio files of hypnosis and most recently was a lady who was afraid of dogs. The doctor who was performing the hypnosis literally told her what is going to be done and how she will stop be afraid of dogs. She led her while under hypnosis to the day when a dog attacked her and in the end I also transcribed a testimony of that lady who confirmed she had lost some of the fear of this animal.

I believe this could be achieved with anything and drugs, cigarettes or alcohol are not exceptions. It may be longer an more exhausting process but in the end it may be worth it.
    Jani_pikki likes this.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I can't speak from any personal experience, but I have heard that ultimately you need to be receptive to the idea of hypnotism for it to work - so I think if you're a non-believer in the first place that it's going to be fairly difficult for hypnotism to have any impact. I have heard of people saying how wonderful it has been for them, though - so that's got to be some sort of positive feedback about it!
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I haven't had any experience with hypnotism, but I've heard of cases where it does help. However, I would guess that may also depend on the skills of the hypnotist as to how successful the end result will be. I would definitely ask around and get some feedback from people before acquiring the services of a hypnotist just as a precaution.
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't had any experiences with hypnotism but I've heard that it actually works for some people. And I think that as everything in life, is relative. For some people may work and for others not really, it's like alternative medicine, I guess.
    I'll do some research about it, though.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think it can. Hypnosis brings you to the future, where you're clean, sober and recovered. It helps you envision who you can be without the drugs. You will see yourself as healthy, in terms of your relationships and your physical health. He will be able to feel free, there is liberation from drugs, the negative thoughts and the issues he have with himself. This changes his perception and view of the world and himself, leading to a change in behaviour, decision-making and self-worth.

Now, whenever the previous addicting substance is in front of him, it becomes easier to confront it. He's no longer angry or resentful, he is happy because finally he is free from that substance. That is the power of hypnosis, which until now, isn't really known by a lot of people.

Remember though that for hypnosis to work, you need to detox first by yourself or through rehabilitation centers. After that, that's when you can opt for hypnosis for further help.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe cause if it has been proven to treat some medical issues, it might be of good use in this purpose as well. Also maybe it could depends on various factors like level or causes of addiction and personality of the person who will try this approach.
  15. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I've heard about hypnotism working for some people. The only I concerns I would have are: Is hypnotism dangerous, and are there any side effects?
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Absolutely. Hypnosis can be used for just about any therapeutic purpose that you can think of including addiction and it can be incredibly effective when done properly. It can also help to have an understanding of hypnosis and how and why it works. Everything you ever do is, technically a result of hypnosis - including addictions and it can also be used to remove them.