An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can I manage a pub?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 6up, Apr 9, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

I was an alcohol addict sometime back but I later changed. My friends who run pubs tell me that they usually make a lot of money as profit. I have been considering to open one but am hesitating. Will having a pub make me start drinking heavily again?
  2. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Well it all depends on you sir! If you really can control yourself around alcohol and stay sober then you can definitely manage a pub. But if you can't then just forget about it. You'll probably just drink all your profit away.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I honestly think you're getting your priorities all wrong! Monetary gain can never be used as an excuse to put your health or even life in danger. You seem to be too much focused on gaining wealth and yet you admit you are hesitant to go into business over health concerns! How ironical !
  4. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

What do you think? Can you separate your addiction from your profession? What about on bad days? What about if your business is doing poorly and you are sitting in an empty room with beer on tap and bottles of liqueur?
    Honestly, I think that it's great that you see a way to make money and think you can do it, but I personally would go into some other line of business, especially if you're not already committed to that particular work environment. Why take the risk? Why help enable others and then try to control yourself in that way?
  5. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

It's just business. Most of the time you won't even have to be in the pub if you hired enough staff to do your job. I know it would be idyllic to be able to show up every now and again, rake in the profits, head back home and lie in your bed feeling fulfilled. It's hard to get there but if you put your time and energy into it, you'll make it too. And once you do get there, you won't have to worry about being anywhere near alcohol because your physical presence in the pub would rarely be required. I know a guy who lives a similar lifestyle and I must admit that he's doing pretty good so far.
  6. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

As long as you don't go to the pub too much, I think it's okay.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If you can resist temptation and can firmly say no when surrounded with alcohol left and right, then I'd say give it a go! But if you are prone to give in to temptation, then I suggest that you just hire someone to manage the pub for you and don't go there when you know you will be liable to be influenced to drink.
  8. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Totally depends on how you assess yourself. If you think you can handle being around drinkers and drinks without participating, then go for it. If you want to be on the safe side, I would advise you not to. It takes only a little bit of camaraderie and a good party atmosphere to get some people to drink.
  9. Nick W.

I'm not sure about the whole "you won't have to be there often" argument. It really depends on so many factors. Yeah, a well functioning, profitable business is going to maybe not call for so much, especially if a competent manager is around, but you never know what could happen. People quit, sometimes owners end up working along side others at the bar. After all, at the end of the day it's your business and slinging brews might be what's needed. Think about all the variables.
  10. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I think that's a very bad idea. Once you are an addict you are always an addict. The only difference is that you can be a sober addict or a drunk addict. I think you should find yourself a different job that doesn't have anything to do with alcohol. I still recommend starting your own business, but don't start your own pub. It's only going to lead down hill very fast. I wish you the best man.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There's a difference between running a pub for profit and patronizing a pub with the sole purpose of getting drunk. If you'll pursue the former, then you'll be thoroughly distracted by the activities involved in running a pub. You'll be busy with operations, costs and managing your employees that you barely have time to drink heavily. Focus on the reason why you're opening a pub in the first place.
  12. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I definitely think that you could, and if you want to you should, but yo just have to be careful about it. You need to take your job seriously and make sure that you are being professional, especially not drinking on the job. Maybe the fact that you will be in such a powerful manager position, it will make you more inclined not to drink even more so that you are able to keep your job!
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I personally wouldn't risk it. There are a lot of other things that can be profitable and risking the temptation would be impractical in my opinion. I think having less profits but being away from temptation that could potentially drain my money later on anyway would be the right way to go, but it all depends on how well you know yourself and if you believe it is the right thing for you then maybe it's worth a shot.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that it depends on you. There will be more temptations around since you will be managing a place where there are lots of drinkers. But it will be up to you if you will allow yourself to get addicted to alcohol again.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I know that over here in the UK the pubs seem to be dying out and a lot are turning to serving food in order to just break even. I think for a former alcoholic to run a pub will take a lot of discipline but i CAN be done. Of course a lot will depend on the individual and how strong you can be.

If you have any doubts though i'd maybe try working in a bar first, just for a few weeks just to test yourself and see how you can handle it, maybe that's an option for you?
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree with all the other posters, it all depends on you.

If you have truly recovered from alcohol abuse, like you believe in yourself wholeheartedly that you can never be tempted to go back to your old self, then I think you can be able to manage a pub.
  17. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I don't think it's a good idea to be honest. You must stay away from temptation given that you have a history with alcohol.
  18. Nick W.

It sounds like you really need to keep stress in mind here. Are you going to be sitting in a pub that have few patrons? Is that going to lead to free time and social situations that might encourage you to drink? Do you have proper coping skills in place for when the temptation gets the better of you? I think you would probably have to ask yourself these questions first, and then decided if this is something you really want, or just an idea that sounds good for now.
  19. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I'd suggest looking at your past behaviour to assess whether this would be a trigger for your addiction. Were you a social drinker? Did others drinking around you encourage you to drink with them affect your personal drinking? If these were indeed factors when you were fighting your alcoholism you might have to ignore the 'easy' money aspect of owning a pub & opt to care more for your personal health. There are other businesses that can make a person money & have less to do with a substance you've struggled with.
    Nick W. likes this.
  20. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

If you can't resist the sight of alcohol, I'm afraid, you haven't gotten over your alcohol addiction. Opening a pub should be a business venture and not an opportunity for you to resume your drinking habit. Don't confuse yourself by mixing both. If you really can't resist the sight of alcohol, you don't really require a pub, a mere scotch bottle can pull you in. Realize your priorities. Stay strong!