An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can I manage a pub?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 6up, Apr 9, 2015.

1. henry

henry Community Champion

Don't do it, man. My bet is you'll start drinking again within a month. You can't dance around a fire avery day and not expect to get burned. My advice to you is to keep away from anything related to alcohol.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Remember to be honest with yourself too. We all like to think that we are strong enough to conquer things, but the truth is, sometimes we are not. If you can self-assess, or even bring a trusted person in on the decision making process, you'll be more likely to make a decision that is best for you all around, not just based on business, or wants/needs. Do you know what I mean?
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

If you can manage to have control over the situation and do this solely out of profit needs, then why not? Just be careful because it's usually easier said than done, and if you come any close to alcohol, you might change your thoughts in an instant, which I don't wish you.
  4. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

It sounds like you can. If you put your mind to it and don't start drinking.. you should be fine. Do jobs to keep you motivated which won't make you crave alcohol
  5. miro1231

miro1231 Member

I can't say for sure, don't know what kind of person you are, but I guess the temptation would be hard to resist if it was right there in front of you most of the time. Do you want to just have a pub or you wanna work at the bar? Because you could just be the manager and not work as the bartender, if it's just the bisuness you're interested in, and not having small chat with the people and the bar and knowing the regulars. You could try and work as a bartender for a little while, if the urge is too strong, you'll know. Just my 2 cents.
  6. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It is all up to you, and how strong your will to resist the urge of drinking alcohol really is. You mention that you were an alcohol addict but now you have changed so that is a good sign. I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That depend on you. Can you hold back from drinking? This is not a question you should be asking us. You should be asking yourself are you able to stay sober and run a business situated around alcohol.
  8. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I suggest you stay away from it. It's not a good idea at all!
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think the potential rewards aren't worth the risk at all since as I've mentioned there are lots of other businesses that would make you money with the same amount of effort. In my opinion it's much better to just stay away from it since even if you do end up profiting you're risking wasting it all away if ever you fall into old habits.
  10. aztec99

aztec99 Member

It may or may not cause you to start drinking again. But it will no doubt encourage others to drink. Who knows how many lives you will negatively affect by selling alcohol. I would search for less destructive way of making money. You'll sleep better too!