An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can Infants Be Addicts?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, May 19, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

The news says that Falls "opted for jail instead of rehab and treatment" offered to her by the court. She should have not given the options: state funded treatment or jail.

I hope, cracks will not "leak through the illegal cracks" somewhere in jail to cater for the addict's addiction. Falls should have chosen the care of Serenity House when offered to her for rehab and stayed there. Thankfully, the baby is "being rehabilitated and treated" in the custody of Tennessee Department of Children's Services.
  2. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

These babies are born addicts and many of them even die. I think that addicts who are pregnant should be sent to mandatory rehab for the sake of the child. One has to draw a line somewhere and protect the rights of the innocent. There is nothing worse than a tiny baby who is going through withdrawal symptoms. This is not the way for a newborn to begin its life!
  3. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Hopefully, but at the same time, do those children's services have the capacity to actually treat children? I do hope they do, many times it's just a place where a kid stands no chance.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Getting a little ahead of yourself there aren't you? You seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent and let your imagination run wild, whilst simultaneously attempting to twist my words to mean something else. By the way, breastfeeding is not a necessity and is not always the best option. There are also plenty of mothers out there who are not heroin addicts who are unable to breastfeed. Also, as for your last three sentences, you've kind of reiterated the point I was making in the first place. What are you suggesting instead? Additionally, you don't need to tell me anything about heroin addicts, there are several in my family and there have been for many years. I know exactly what their lives are like.
  5. estalucy

estalucy Member

Ahead of myself? You seem to take yourself much too seriously. It's only the Internet! Oh and you also seem to "know people" but your experience and knowledge seem disjointed. For example on the other thread re crack cocaine you said in one post that you heard ammonia can increase risk of a coma but you didn't know whether that was true or not. Yet in a reply to myself you said it definitely did and had happened several times before...so which is it? Sounds like you are two different people talking there....oh and I'm still waiting for your response to my last reply to you on that thread....
  6. estalucy

estalucy Member

oh and if you know so many people that are heroin addicts then you would know that PHYSICAL withdrawals/addiction from heroin is much worse than crack...I should know I've done enough raw cold turkeys/clucks to know. You obviously know what that means seeing as so many of your family are on the dark....
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think you're the one who is taking things too seriously and this post shows that very clearly. Yes, I didn't know whether that was factual when I made the post in the other thread but I now know it to absolutely be true and now know that ammonia was involved and was a big factor in personal incidents I have been involved with and have done some research into it since - big deal! That does not make me liar, it makes you look stupid for suggesting so. People do find things out as time progresses you know, as information is uncovered - it's called learning but you've made it absolutely clear here you're not capable of understanding that concept. I expect that's a result of your ignorance combined with your arrogance. Sure seems like it, it does that to people.

You keep telling yourself that. Self-delusion doesn't change the facts. I'm honoured that you felt the need to respond twice. Thanks!
  8. sunflogun

I think there is really no room for self-delusion here. Someone that is consuming while pregnant is totally irresponsible and is causing damage for life in that helpless baby.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Wow..yes a baby can be born that way. I know of someone who was adopted and his birth mother was on drugs. He had a lot of troubles as an infant because of this. I think he is intelligent and well mannered. Very strong and a funny guy. He is in great shape and is a police officer. He has two girls and a wife now. The adopted family took care of him so I think personally he is way better off than some people that have what some people call a normal birth.
    So, no I don't think that is what should happen to a woman. The mother giving the child up or getting help is better.

There are far worse things that a mother could do to a child after they are born. I think that making laws and procedures like this will cause someone like this to hide. Run out of fear. This is not the way to help someone. Someone like this might have an abortion quick if that were the consequence. There are plenty who want to adopt. The guy that I spoke of is such a great person. I can't say that this happening affected him in any way. In fact I think it drove him as a child and adult to be who he is. He does not do drugs and never did even though he was born this way.
  10. sunflogun

The issue is that many of these cases are not detected until the mother is about to deliver the kid. So in those cases what can be done? Remove the child from the mother surely, but the harm is done.
  11. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

Mothers should at the very least avoid doing drugs, including soft drugs and alcohol, during the pregnancy. There are things like fetal alcohol syndrome that will affect your baby. I know it is not possible to control the habits of every mother, but I think it would not be unwise to make monthly(or at least quarterly) blood tests obligatory for all mothers.
  12. sunflogun

That is the scary side of addiction crowded, drug addicts don't really care about anything but themselves and getting their fix, that's the cold reality of it.
  13. Bernie1

Bernie1 Member

Yes. It's a good idea. The only problem is that there are hundreds of thousands of women pregnant On any given day. No government will be willing to pay the money needed for drug tests for all those women. However, I agree that women should be jailed if they intentionally endanger a child's life by abusing drugs during pregnancy.