An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can infants really be born with drug addictions?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gofearstan, Jun 30, 2015.

1. gofearstan

gofearstan Member

Is it true that some moms that has smoked cocaine or just used drugs period during their pregnany but not the whole pregnany still had health babies and were able to take them home from hospitals?? i thought docs test babies for drugs or do the baby have to look a certain way or act a certain way to get tested??
  2. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

It depends on when the last time she used was. If she had been using drugs before she knew she was pregnant, found out she was pregnant early on in the pregnancy, and stopped using immediately after she found out, then there is a good chance that the baby won't be affected and will be able to go home with mom from the hospital. If she continued using after she knew she was pregnant or found out she was pregnant further along into the pregnancy and then stopped, there is a big chance that they will keep the baby in the hospital to watch for withdrawal symptoms for at least 3-4 days after the baby is born. If she found out about the pregnancy and stopped using early (not sure exactly how early it has to be), the drugs she used will not show up in the tests they do on the baby when it is born.
  3. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I know I'll probably get some thumbs down or whatever but I was using before I found out I was pregnant. I was addicted to Oxycontin (technically all opiates but Oxycontin was my drug of choice) but as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I stopped using. I found out I was pregnant when I was about 4 weeks along. I started going to a clinic immediately and they prescribed me medication that would stop me from having withdrawal symptoms and would help with my cravings throughout the pregnancy. Unfortunately, the medication they prescribed can still cause babies to experience withdrawal symptoms so my son had to stay in the hospital for 4 days after he was born to be monitored. I stayed with him the entire time and did skin to skin contact for almost 24/7 every single day because that is suppose to lessen the withdrawal symptoms. My son did not need treatment for withdrawal and I cannot tell you how relieved I was. I am still on a maintenance medication to prevent withdrawals and help with cravings and I have no relapsed at all since I found out I was pregnant. I plan on getting off of the maintenance medication once my son is old enough to be able to stay with his grandparents for a few nights in a row because I will experience bad withdrawals without the medication and will not be able to take care of my son. Once he is old enough I am getting off of the medication though because I feel like it's holding me back from being completely free of my addiction. I have tried so hard to do the best I can for my son and I just don't want every mother being judged for being an addict while pregnant. A lot of addicts do seek immediate help as soon as they find out they are pregnant because we want to do what is best for our children and we love our children just as much as any other mom does.

Now women that continue using once they find out they are pregnant...that's a totally different scenario and there is never an excuse for doing that to your unborn child.
  4. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

I have had 1st hand experience with this. A family member has been struggling with drugs and alcohol for 18yrs. She lost custody of 2 children due to this (they were already in grade school when taken) and got pregnant with a 3rd. She drank and did drugs during her pregnancies and yet was able to take her newborns home. When her youngest was 11mths she was taken to the hospital by another family member and was tested for drugs. They found cocaine in her system. She has since been diagnosed with fetal alcohol syndrome. They had to change foster homes as the 1st foster Mom couldnt cope with her crying for 23hrs almost non stop do to withdrawal. The father is in jail and will only serve a 6mth sentence and the Mother is awaiting trial
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

It's possible. You have to keep in mind the simplicity of "a woman eats for 2" when pregnant. It's said time and time again. But it's extremely true. So any nutrients the woman gets, so does the child. The problem is the same goes for ANYTHING else she takes as well, drugs included.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If a woman carries on using drugs while she's pregnant then it's highly likely that the baby will be born with some sort of dependency. In a lot of cases this may not be the fault of the parent, especially if they don't realise they're pregnant like in the examples others have already said.
  7. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

My cousin was affected with Malaria when she was pregnant. She delivered a mentally retarded child. The child became an adult but is dependent for everything on his mom. A woman has to be extremely cautious when she is pregnant. Whatever she consumes is fed to the baby, either good or bad.
  8. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

whether or not your baby gets tested depends on what kind of insurance you have. The people with really good insurance won't get tested, but the people with medicare or medical card, (state funded insurance) they get tested.