An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can it be reversed?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by deewanna, Sep 15, 2015.

1. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Recently, I have been reading some of the negative effects of heroin and I must say, its horrific. Study shows that when heroin is used repeatedly, it will completely change the structure of the brain. This will in turn cause a long term imbalance in the brain.
    I want to know if this effect is permanent, or can reversed after recovery.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I've always known heroin to be a lethal drug but i never imagined that it could change the structure of the brain. That really paints a really grim picture to all those heroin addicts out there. Something needs to be done urgently to address this issue and create awareness about such findings. But at the same time i doubt whether those addicts will take the message seriously.
  3. deewanna

Yes, the negative effects are devastating to say the least. If there was more awareness like you said, I think we would have less addicts. At least nobody would think of succumbing to any desire to take it.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I believe the effect is permanent. After all, changing the structure of the brain is a big issue! I don't know if it could work correctly ever again, or at least be stable. That's the sad ending of drug addicts, they never get to be themselves ever again.
  5. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Yeah, I don't see how the chemical changes could be anything but permanent. The human brain is an extremely delicate organ, and even minute differences to its physiology can have long-lasting effects. That's why accidents involving brain damage are typically considered so serious, because the person involved is changed forever. All the more reason to stay away from heroin. (Or any kind of hard, unregulated drug.)
  6. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

From what I have heard, the effects on the brain and body are mostly permanent. Abusing this drug is damaging on the body and psyche. As we have said, there needs to be more awareness and education about this matter. Recovery can only repair a fraction of the damage.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I'm pretty sure the only thing that really alters a brain is a lobotomy or if something is removed from the brain. Detoxification should correct and restore. Granted a good plan is used. Many things are said to permanently do this or that. Doesn't mean its true. If you want it to be then I am sure it will.
  8. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Heroin is the most addictive street drug so I imagine it must be really really hard to quit, but nothing's impossible, I'm sure with the right treatment and plan anyone addicted to heroin can get off it.
  9. Chriswriter

Chriswriter Member

You'll find that very little in the body is permanent, and the changed heroin produces in the brain can over time be reversed. The body heals itself. We see this in cuts upon our skin, as the blood clots before our eyes. Get off it, and then let nature take its course
  10. deewanna

It's true that the body heals itself, but, not in all cases. The brain is a special case, its more delicate as it controls the rest of our body. If it was so easy to heal, we wouldn't have mental illness as a result of prolonged heroin usage.
    Medical research has shown that the effect of heroin is usually permanent. In some few lucky cases, it could be reversed, but it still would be long term.