An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can meth be a "one time" thing?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Jane, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I've always heard that meth is one of those drugs that once you do it one time, you keep going back for more. And I've seen it absolutely destroy people before.

I have a friend who is not really prone to substance abuse (he's tried coke, smokes pot occasionally, drinks occasionally, has dabbled with pain killers, adderall, etc, but never more than a few times over the course of several years). He's become fixated on wanting to try meth and that's the one that really scares me. If he likes it, I'm afraid he'll almost certainly go back for more.

So just how addictive is it? Can it be a one time sorta thing if you're not the type who gets hooked on things easily?
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Any drug can be a one-time thing. It just depends on the person and their environment.
  3. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

It really depends if you get hooked on it the first time. It is highly addictive and that is just about all you can say because it is hard to scale something that affects people very uniquely.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've heard both sides of the spectrum. Most people that I know said that once was enough to get you hooked. Once you get that high, you are going to want it all the time, or else you are going to sleep for a few days. Now those that did say they tried it and never did it again, they said they didn't like the taste or the way they felt. So they never went back.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think to some degree most indulgent things in life can prove to be very addictive to the right person, but I would assume that there are those who are able to enjoy it once or a few times without getting hooked. It depends on the person, in my opinion. Some people watch tv for a few hours but some people can't help themselves and watch it all day. Some people smoke a few cigarettes when they are drinking but don't have urges to do so on regular days, while some smoke like chimneys. From what I can tell by the short explanation you've given us, I'd personally be worried that this friend would indeed get hooked since meth is one of those harder to give up substances and if he or she has an addictive personality then it may just be a very bad combination.
  6. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I don't think it is worth finding out! I have heard heroin is supposedly not addictive the first time trying; I am not sure whether meth would be the same, but I think in either circumstance a potential and probable destructive drug should not be dabbled with. The temporary high is not worth losing everything. Besides, regular, sober moments in life may appear dull afterwards in relation to the drug experience.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Based on the way you described this friend: No. Not a good idea.

Now, if we're speaking generally & entirely separate from that person you mentioned (because, again, THAT person should not)? It is possible, yes. Some people are prone to becoming addicted to certain things than others who are not. A good example of what I mean: You may develop a sexual addiction that everyone else who is having sex has not developed. It really depends on quite a few factors. More with meth. A substance when doing illegally can contain things you are unaware of.
  8. kwoodard902

kwoodard902 Member

I have personal experience with this horrible drug. I know quite a few people who have and are still doing this drug. I believe it is very addictive and I wouldn't risk trying it even that one time. It has ruined many peoples lives, relationships, and finances. I'm not 100% sure if it is a try one time and your hooked kind of drug or not. I believe every person is different and have different tolerances that they can withstand. I do know by experience that this drug has horrifying results.
  9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I never took meth but where I am living there are meth addicts who go into grocery stores. It is not a one time thing from what I can gather it is a drug that would make you get addicted once you are hooked. If you want to feel free then do not go for the drugs.
  10. Kappys

Kappys Member

If you're like me, and don't have an addictive personality, everything you do can be a one time thing, it just depends on how much you want it and want to keep doing it. If you want to experience it once in a lifetime and never feel its effects again, so on so forth.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It depends on a lot of things, like the person themselves, what type of meth it is and the way they consume it. For me, I didn't find it addictive the first time I tried it but doing it a couple more times could easily lead to addiction. It was nowhere near as addictive as crack cocaine though, that stuff left me wanting more instantly whereas meth didn't. If a person is consciously looking for something to try then it's highly likely they'll become addicted. Smoking it (crystal meth), I imagine, would be incredibly more addictive than consuming it orally.
  12. bombshell

bombshell Member

I have known people who have tried meth once and never picked it back up again. On the flip side I've also known people who try it once and are now hard core addicts.

I think anybody can try a drug and not get addicted, but what happens after the "high" is situational and varies from one person to another. As a matter of fact my father had tried it and told me he hated it. He felt paranoid and angry and couldn't control his breathing. So the chance of addiction varies from person to person.
  13. Sparkster

I only ever tried Heroin once and I hated it. I didn't enjoy the so-called 'high' it gave me and it just made me feel dirty and horrible. That was from smoking it though. Meth made me feel clean, fresh and alive, but that was from consuming it orally and not smoking it. Not really a fair comparison though - Meth is an upper whereas Heroin is a downer.
    blur92 likes this.
  14. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I have talked with someone who tried smoking heroin, and they did not like it either. I did not realize, though, that meth can be consumed orally. It's usually smoked, isn't it?
  15. Lilypad

Lilypad Member

I think you should try discourage your friend from trying it. It's like playing a game of Russian Roulette, what if they decide they really like how it makes them feel? I only see the downside in this type of experimentation.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I would discourage the person but that's about all you can do. At the end of the day the decision is still going to rest with them. I worry with this person's experimentation history something will sooner or later be that one thing that takes them over the edge as far as addiction goes.

I hope it turns out well. I have heard and read of some ugly meth stories.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know someone who started when they were young and still does it cost him, his relationship with his parents and violence with girlfriend and friends as well so not a good thing to be doing. It can be addictive and, may seem like your problems are all gone for the time being but when you, are out of the drug state mind frame will realize the problems are still there end not gone away. All you can do is try to tell them not a good thing to do, and maybe distance yourself from the person and maybe they will wake up and see what it is costing them and losing in the process as well.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It actually depends on you. You can either use it once and then ditch it after, or use it once and then abuse it harder. Just what you prefer. It's all about self-control, though I know it's not really as simple as that.
  19. Sparkster

In some countries it is. I know smoking it is a lot more common in America than it is in a lot of other countries. I think it's also usually 'crystal' meth that people smoke. Smoking it is extremely rare in the UK though, most users here take it orally and a few of them inject it but it's not 'crystal' meth.
  20. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I've known many a girl who were only going to use it for a short time as a diet plan and to lose weight. Worst mistake they ever made. Most I went to high school with. They ruined their lives just looking for a quick way to get skinny. Bad stuff. Stay away from it.