An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can meth be a "one time" thing?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Jane, Feb 19, 2015.

1. keekz38

keekz38 Member

I've heard of people who have "addictive personalities" being more prone to substance abuse but I wouldn't risk it. Either way there's a chance he could end up going back for more. Who knows, he could probably even convince himself that he's not addicted and can stop anytime he wants. That's classic addictive behavior , I'd try to keep him away by any means necessary.

Good luck to both of you.
  2. Rholm

Rholm Member

Any substance can be a "one-time thing", just as any substance can be taken once and lead to a debilitating addiction. From what you've said about your friend, it seems that he does have an addictive personality, which only makes it all the more likely for him to become hooked if he were to try methamphetamine. The risks of doing so are extremely dangerous and should not be toyed with, even if the person taking it believes they do not have an addictive personality. Addictive substances can change the best of us, and it's imperative to practice precaution when putting anything in your body.
  3. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

It may be possible to use meth only once, but does he really want to take the chance? Even if he didn't get hooked on it, he will miss it so he would go for other safer drugs that he used before to cope with the temptation to do meth again so at the end it's just bad for him.
  4. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Most people usually take drugs out of peer pressure, or because their curiosity of trying new sensations is simply overwhelming. Some manage to quit just after trying them once, but some remain at this habit for a very long time, to the point of being addicted and not perceiving their life elseway.
  5. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I can't put a label to it. Really, the effect it would have is highly individual. However, I think it would be reasonable to believe that for MOST potential users one time will be enough to start an addiction. Of course, here we also have the problem that we can't exactly verify that... because I don't see many people willing to sacrifice themselves for the experiment and try meth just like that.
  6. JazminHaze

JazminHaze Member

I have tried it only once and for anyone out there who is curious.. don't. I'm not proud of it at all but I tried it only one time and I put that nasty **** down the toilet. **** all that noise. I'mma go get some bud. Meth is gross, I shouldn't have even done it. And you know what else? It didn't even feel like anything special.. just a waste of time feeling too energetic and being pissed off that I couldn't sleep for a whole day. I snorted a small amount a friend of mine had offered me. I know him well and he wouldn't give me something that would straight up kill me, so then only parts that scared me before I initially snorted it was the chemicals and the possibility of it being a horrible experience. For people who might have a risk of getting addicted, a bad enough experience might be a deterrent. For me, it wasn't good or horrible but it was kinda a "meh" and sucky experience.. something I'll definitely not ever be trying again. Ugh.. I feel gross just knowing I've done that even just once. Wish I could take it back but all I can do now is put it behind me. Seriously though, anyone on here curious if you can do it once and drop it? Maybe... Maybe not. Just don't do it and you won't have to risk the possibility of throwing everything you care about down the drain.. I consider myself lucky, to be honest.. I might have had some kind of natural tolerance it when I first tried it so I probably didn't have as an intense experience as other peoples' first times, so the addictive factor was nonexistent. Just take my word for it. Its not anything worth trying. I understand the curiosity, trust me..lol. I stupidly gave in but luckily it was at no true loss.. though I imagine it easily could have been a devastating loss if I wasn't so lucky to not really like it at all and kept going back for more because that truly does happen to people. Please, please.. do not try it.
    deanokat likes this.