An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Can people get addicted to an unknown substance?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by rainbowguard, Mar 10, 2015.

1. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Can people get addicted without knowing what drugs did the person consume beforehand? I am talking about addiction that is purely caused by the chemicals in the substance instead of the mental association between the substance and the temporary pleasure it causes.

For example, if someone slip you a drug in your drink, will you get addicted to that substance even if you don't know how to consume the drugs for the second time?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't think you can get addicted to a drug from one-time use. I'm sure if it were continued that you could though. I mean, someone could slip a valium in your drink over and over again and of coarse you would get physical withdrawal symptoms.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that it's very unlikely that you will get addicted to something that you only take once, knowingly or unknowingly. I remember one time when I had a terrible toothache, and a doctor friend gave me a "tablet" that made me feel absolutely wonderful. I thought at the time that I wouldn't mind having this tablet from time to time on a recreational level, but in the end it never happened. So, from my own experience, it's possible to develop an instant liking for a certain substance, but whether you get addicted to it or not, that's a different point.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It would be have to be a habit kind of like if you drank a energy drink each day to keep you active that is the way the drug would be for you and make you addicted to it. Some people think it is alright to have it sometimes but the body could have a good or bad reaction and that is when you got to ask yourself is your health more important or just take a drug to keep you alert in daily life. It is interesting how a unknown substance can affect the body and the mind and the person can change to someone else shortly.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's possible but unlikely. Taking it once won't really convince you to keep taking it especially since you wouldn't know what really happened in the first place, and if the person has a good head on their shoulders then I'd say that would make it even less likely for that person to get addicted to the substance.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Not if they only took it (unknowingly, obviously) the one time. However, if you used a highly addictive drug and kept administering them with it (unknowingly, obviously) on a regular basis then they may become dependent on it or addicted to it. When you then stop administering it they may experience withdrawal symptoms but if they don't realize they've been taking a drug they'll probably just think they're ill. If they do know that they've been taking a drug but don't know what it is, I'd imagine that would be incredibly difficult to deal with. I'm curious as to why you want to know this?
  7. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Well, this question started to pop to my head when I read those e-mail chain letters warning people to be cautious of people slipping drugs into their drinks in bar, pub, etc. to make them addicted to it. I wondered how true that can be since even if I drank a drug that someone slipped in, I probably wouldn't know what causes it and overall, I wouldn't have the way of taking those drugs even if I got addicted to it. Of course, it is wise to be cautious anytime though.

Then, I wondered if I could become addicted by drugs unknowingly, and does that mean drugs addiction is purely medical thing? Basically, what I am wondering is whether drugs addiction is mostly a medical/physical thing or is mind a more dominant factor?
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think the mind is the more dominant factor. After all, the entire body and all of it's physical functions are carried out and processed by the mind. I've actually had my drink 'spiked' a few times - I never knew what it was spiked with or who did it but it certainly didn't give me an enjoyable buzz. It just made me feel very ill and made me physically vomit after only drinking about two pints - I felt like I'd drank about ten pints but it wasn't very enjoyable at all! I think that if you don't know what drug you've taken you then feel like you're not in control and you don't know what is happening to you, so I don't think you would actually be able to enjoy the buzz, even if it did have an addictive effect on you.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  9. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I doubt one can get addicted to a drug just from using it once, because at that point your brain is not used to it,because you only used it once, so you definitely can not get addicted to it.